• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk & yoghurt pre-op diet

chivasgirl

Hi all - rather than hijacking someone else's thread more than I already did, I thought I'd just say that I tried some yoghurt today, a muller light blueberry, and actually, to my shock and horror, found it to be quite nice!!! Years ago when I was a kid I lived in a little village in the middle of nowhere (Honington, near Shipston on Stour) - no shops to spend money. I used to get 10p a week pocket money and I spent it on a yoghurt from the milkman. I could never stand it though!!! Years back I tried it again and again, particularly when on weightwatchers or slimming world, and still couldn't stand it.

I wanted to do the milk & yog preop because I think it will be easier to control knowing I can't have anything but x amount of milk, x amount of yog & the bovril or whatever. However, I hate yoghurt. So got one yesterday and tried it today, nose scrunched up with distaste, tiniest bit on the spoon, dipped my tongue into it. Hmm, not too bad, better try more than 1ml of it. Hmm, that's okahy too. Oh gosh, what HAVE they done to yoghurt, it's actually quite nice!!

So tell me - will I be allowed muller lites on the preop??? And what else apart from milk?

Ta muchly!!!
From newly converted yoghurt liker!! What a wally!:copon:

Heyyy :) On the sheet ive been given RE:the pre-op diet it just says
"3 pints of semi skimmed/skimmed milk per day, 2 yogurts less than 200g and will be labeled light or diet"
So im thinking that muiller lights would be fine. But maybe your pre-op diet is different to mine as it seems that different surgeons ask for different things. To be on the safe side I would call someone at the hospital to make sure. hope this helps - im due to start my pre op diet June 12th :S

Hi Lorna - i think it was Terri who asked this question before she started the Mooo Diet and when she spoke to Ana to check Ana told that Ski yoghurts were best - but when Terri looked the fat content in the Ski yoghurts was worse than the Muller lites so she had the Muller lites instead (sorry if it wasn't Terri and someone else but my mind's not what is used to be lol)

So as far as i know it is ok to have the Muller lites - i'm going to chose them anyway when i start the pre-op diet.

Hope you've had a lovely bank holiday break x

Thanks Bex - have got anaesthetist appt tomorrow so presuming they will either give me diet sheets or post them out shortly afterwards, as haven't actually got date yet...!!! When I phoned the other day to query if I could have soya milk instead of skimmed, I was told either 4 pints of milk and 1 yog, 3 pints and 2 yog, or 2 pints and 1 yog. Didn't ask about any extras though, as I think you have to have bovril or something don't you, to keep salt levels normal??

Lorna, the diet leaflet I have from WM says;

4 pints semi skimmed
1 - 2 cups oxo/bovril
1 low cal or diet yoghurt

or

2 pints milk
2 cups oxo/bovril
3 - 4 diet/low cal yoghurts.

Both diets allow free fluids water, tea, coffee, sugar free squash and herbal teas.

HTH

Thanks Topsy! Muller lites it is then! Will try another couple of flavours as well, make it REALLY exciting!!

Oooh the excitement! It will all be worthwhile in the end when we're all well fit ;)
Sambucca - mine doesnt mention any salty drinks like oxo or bovril - should I mention it when I next see my nutritionist? I think something like that would be sensible like you say to keep salt levels normal.

Also wont we get really bad constipation from the moo diet?
xx

Cheers Sam, that's clarified the bovril situation! I like bovril too although on toast with lots of butter is preferable (oops, slap my wrists!!). Ana said with the milk to just basically swap a yog for a pint of milk, so I might go with the 3 pints & 2 yogs, now I know it's tolerable!!

I did indeed ask the question and georgina said a diet youghurt is better, but I had a bit of a bee in my bonnet as on slimming world these are free foods so must be low in fat etc. So I spent about 15 mins comparing all the yoghurts and Muller light did infact come out the best buy. And the proof was in the pudding as I lost 11lb in a week and that was including 1 0r 2 s/f jellies a day as well. Towards the end I couldn't eat the ones with lumps in and was living on banana custard, toffee, raspberry and cranberry and vanilla.

I never did bovril or anything as they didn't taste that nice (they have taken most of the salt out of them)

Hi Bex - part of the reason I started to drink soya milk instead of skimmed is because I get such bad guts from normal milk. I was also starting low carb diet and soya milk was recommended (the unsweetened) and I rarely get the bad guts I used to before I drank it. It's not palatable to alot of people but as I only have it heated or steamed with an espresso in or a teaspoon of proper cocoa powder, never added to tea or instant coffee as I don't drink them. The only other hot drink I have generally is peppermint tea. Hmm, wonder whether sugar-free ribena with hot water is allowed??

I did indeed ask the question and georgina said a diet youghurt is better, but I had a bit of a bee in my bonnet as on slimming world these are free foods so must be low in fat etc. So I spent about 15 mins comparing all the yoghurts and Muller light did infact come out the best buy. And the proof was in the pudding as I lost 11lb in a week and that was including 1 0r 2 s/f jellies a day as well. Towards the end I couldn't eat the ones with lumps in and was living on banana custard, toffee, raspberry and cranberry and vanilla.

I never did bovril or anything as they didn't taste that nice (they have taken most of the salt out of them)
Thank god it was you Terri - my brain must still have a spark after all lol

Hi Bex - part of the reason I started to drink soya milk instead of skimmed is because I get such bad guts from normal milk. I was also starting low carb diet and soya milk was recommended (the unsweetened) and I rarely get the bad guts I used to before I drank it. It's not palatable to alot of people but as I only have it heated or steamed with an espresso in or a teaspoon of proper cocoa powder, never added to tea or instant coffee as I don't drink them. The only other hot drink I have generally is peppermint tea. Hmm, wonder whether sugar-free ribena with hot water is allowed??

any suger free pop is allowed and have you tried cravendale milk it is extra filtered to get rid of extra bacteria an dit doesn't have the same taste as mormal milk.

Terri, is SF jelly allowed or did you just decide to have it as basically there's naff all in it??!! I had forgotten about that!! And what was up with the lumpy mullers towards the end of your pre-op??!! Sounds like you stand in the dairy aisle in the supermarket inspecting labels just like I do!! Georgina originally told me I couldn't have soya milk until I pointed out it had less carbs in, which she said was the important thing. So soya milk, muller lights, decaf espressos in my soya milk, SF jellies (naughty me!), peppermint tea, hot SF ribena (the one you mix with water) and other SF drinks, and bovril!! Although hubby is doing me a big roast beef dinner for my 'last' meal and we'll have in-laws over, and then he's going to use the bones to make me a beef stock to drink!! Yummm.

Terri - I like the unsweetened soya so will stick to that - I am really wary of milk when I realised my guts were nowhere near so bad when I went onto soya, plus I really can't stand milk at all in the first place!!!

Topsy - see, your memory isn't failing you!!

Terri, is SF jelly allowed or did you just decide to have it as basically there's naff all in it??!! I had forgotten about that!! And what was up with the lumpy mullers towards the end of your pre-op??!! Sounds like you stand in the dairy aisle in the supermarket inspecting labels just like I do!! Georgina originally told me I couldn't have soya milk until I pointed out it had less carbs in, which she said was the important thing. So soya milk, muller lights, decaf espressos in my soya milk, SF jellies (naughty me!), peppermint tea, hot SF ribena (the one you mix with water) and other SF drinks, and bovril!! Although hubby is doing me a big roast beef dinner for my 'last' meal and we'll have in-laws over, and then he's going to use the bones to make me a beef stock to drink!! Yummm.

With the s/f jellies when I looked at the calorie info it was no different to the s/f squash I was having so I used to have it in a bowl with a yoghurt poured over it just because I needed something to chew on. I think i was just fed up of yoghurts by day 5 the lumps just made it a bit more difficult but the smooth ones went down well/

Thanks for that Terri, well whatever you did, it obviously worked, so I think I won't worry too much about the odd SF jelly. Now that I've worked out I do actually like at least the blueberry yog, I might freeze some and try that too. That'll be something to chomp on then too!!

You watch, I'll go to anaesthetist tomorrow and he'll say they'll contact me with a date and it'll be 2 months or more down the line, after all my preparation!!

ooh that sounds nice!! Maybe I'll just have 4 yogs a day!!!

Hi Lorna, I haven't had my op yet but I was under the hospital obesity clinic last year and was put on a milk diet for 3 months or so. I lost 3 stone sadly it has gone back on but here is what I had to have. 5 pints of semi skimmed milk, 1-2 oxo cubes to keep your blood pressure ok, 1pt of sugar free jelly and the worst bit was 1-2 fibrogels (to keep you regular). Hope this is of some help. p.s. Muller also do a light vanilla with chocolate sprinkles and an orange one with chocolate sprinkles they are delicious.

Back