• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Miserable

kalkatt

Hey all, am five weeks post op tomorrow and have managed to lose a grand total of 1lb, yup you heard right, one lousy little pound, although I have been on approx 1000 cals a day.
I have been told I can't have a fill till after Christmas, am totally gutted, I expected a slow weight loss, but not this slow!! At this rate I will be 90 before I get to my target!

1000 cals of what though? I had to be really strict around my protein and carb intake to lose 3lb each week...are you looking at this? Just a thought x

Jo how much protein and carbs did you have daily?

I'm losing on average 1lb a week which is ok by me but would like to speed things up if I can - I'm about 10 weeks post op x

I don't have bread and very little potato but those sneaky carbs are in tons of things lol

They're in bloody everything lol and I luv em!

I did 70g min protein and 70g max carbs daily ....cals was around 850 but was less focused on that. It's hard, it's severe, it's painful lol but at 3lb a week it sprinted me to the end of my journey, I'm not into scenic routes lol x

aww kalkatt good advice from Jo hope things speed up for you soon xx

They're in bloody everything lol and I luv em!

I did 70g min protein and 70g max carbs daily ....cals was around 850 but was less focused on that. It's hard, it's severe, it's painful lol but at 3lb a week it sprinted me to the end of my journey, I'm not into scenic routes lol x

Thanks Jo will try get my head round that and go for it x

I'm a bypasser not a bander but I keep my carbs real low mostly around 20 - 40gms usually and my protein between 60 and 80gms. I'm losing on average 3-4lb most weeks sometimes more unless I let the carbs creep up. I keep my calorie intake max 600 - 650. I think principle is pretty much the same whatever op you've had though. I even count the carbs in sugar free gum and milk for coffee to try and keep it really accurate and that seems to work. It gets easier as you go along though xx

Hi Kalkatt

The secret to weightloss is the same regardless of the type of surgery and its even the same without weightloss surgery.

Its actually no big secret. To loose weight you simply have to consume less calories than you us in a day. so to have only lost 1 lb in five weeks something has gone wrong big time with you food intake calculations, or you don't move from your bed all day.

Double check on your calorie intake calculations, it might be quite simply you read a label wrong. Also double check with your teams dietician as 1000 calories a day might be a bit high, I know I was on less at around 800 so those extra fee calories might be all that is to hold your weight steady.

Unless you have not been honest with us or yourself and you are not counting all that chocolate you are secretly eating :)

Paul

Last edited:
Kalkatt, some providers don't advocate calorie counting at all. What does your dietician say about your food / exercise diary. You have to follow your providers guidance and do what works best for you. Bypassers do seem to eat less than banders though. Personally, when I see calories as low as 600-800 a day, it worries me, as long term could this be too low to maintain a healthy lifestyle, avoid stalling when trying to lose, or reduce the risk of big gains when not being so strict with intake? Only my own opinion. I was advised everything, including carbs, in moderation, but to focus on protein first, followed by veggie and then carbs if still hungry / drinking more water and being more active. I was losing best at 1100 calories net a day with 60g+ per day of protein. Over ten stones lost in a year, proves you don't need to go too low calories-wise or avoid carbs totally to lose :) good luck kalkatt x

Hi Kalkatt

The secret to weightloss is the same regardless of the type of surgery and its even the same without weightloss.

Its actually no big secret. To loose weight you simply have to consume less calories than you us in a day. so to have only lost 1 lb in five weeks something has gone wrong big time with you food intake calculations, or you don't move from your bed all day.

Double check on your calorie intake calculations, it might be quite simply you read a label wrong. Also double check with your teams dietician as 1000 calories a day might be a bit high, I know I was on less at around 800 so those extra fee calories might be all that is to hold your weight steady.

Unless you have not been honest with us or yourself and you are not counting all that chocolate you are secretly eating :)

Paul

Perhaps I have got it wrong somewhere then, as a single mum who works full time, staying in bed would be a real luxury, also any chocolate vanishes way before I get anywhere near it!!

In that case just re-calculate all you are eating, or do an honest food diary for a week and post it up here for us to have a look to see if we can find out what's going wrong for you.

Don't forget to include everything, not only food but drinks as well, there are a lot of hidden calories out there so it might be something quite simple. It might also be worth going the prepared meal route for awhile as they have all the calories etc printed on the box and the single portion size of them is often quite enough post surgery, well they are enough for me at 10 months post bypass.

Paul

hi kalkat, I've gained since I started eating but I'm gonna follow all that advice too. I could eat a pre op normal portion of anything despite having had my first fill last week. good luck it's much more complex than I thought & just because I can doesn't mean I should I suppose. x

Hiya,

just sticking in my twopennorth. I was driving back to my mum's yesterday and stopped at the garage for a quick drink. My OH brought me back an Apple juice, One of my five a day, not full of junk, just pure squeezed apple juice.

When I finally finished the bottle this morning I was shocked to realise that it was 110 cals per 100ml, and I'd had 500ml over the last 12 or so hours.

It made me realise that I really should have read the lable more closely and that those sneaky calories come from where you least expect them too.

xxx

hi kalkat, I've gained since I started eating but I'm gonna follow all that advice too. I could eat a pre op normal portion of anything despite having had my first fill last week. good luck it's much more complex than I thought & just because I can doesn't mean I should I suppose. x

It's poo isn't it? I know I need a fill as have an empty band, but they won't let me till after Christmas! X

Hi, hope Noone minds me weighing in. I quite strongly disagree with what Amanda said - I think anything below 800 cals is too low. This is also the advice given to me by all medical professionals. I don't calorie count but I do know that my calories vary between 1000-2000. I would agree with flutterby - if you share a food diary I am sure the banders will be able to give you some tips. Good luck!

I think this is where banders and bypassers can differ, lots of provider discourage calorie counting but those that don't usually suggest around 800 cals for bypass and sleavers in the early days - if you have less or more that is fine, some people can't manage more and some need more. It's not a rule it just what the general recommendation is if asked. It is usually a different story for banders, as far as I know they are recommended (if calories are mentioned) between 1000-1200 a day until you get to goal. Obviously this is just by personal experience and by reading lots of others stories of all different types of wls but the best thing you can ever do is follow your own teams advice. As long as you do that, you will be ok :) x

keep remembering that it's the long term that really matters too. The op is over you've healed without complication. when restriction is there it's going to get easier but in the meantime it's more willpower less band. But that will change x

Just bear in mind we are all different. When I tried upping my cals I couldn't lose for toffee and found my optimum at 800/850 but def not 1000....you'll work yours out in time but if it was me I'd track nutrionally components instead...you're right, re the juice, killers! Basically if you can buy it from a service station it'll be bad :) lol

Back