• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

More daily allowance for exercise?

bearded_cavalier

I am following a relatively simple pre-op diet of 1,000 calories a day. However, as a 6'2 male I am finding this pretty hard going. I wonder, is it possible to 'offset' calories with exercise as in a regular calorie counting diet (ie, eat a little extra in exchange for walking, etc)?

I would say no. The pre-op diet is specific to get your liver ready for surgery, so don't up your carbs either. You'll have plenty of time post-op to exercise.

If your surgeon opens you up and your livers not right then they will close you up, if you're private you'll probably need to pay something again. It's not worth the risk.

Hang in there, it's worth it.

I guess it's down to two things:

1) Does your pre op diet sheet say anything about offsetting through exercise? If no, then don't, or at least call your provider for advice!

2) If you CAN do it as advised by your provider, it's down to how well you know yourself I think. Part of the reason I am here is because I convinced myself that a half hour walk 'entitled' me to a chip supper, so if you can balance the calorie count 'properly' without deceiving yourself and you've been given the OK by the medical professionals, then go ahead!

Would love to say yes but it would be a fib, its hard going this LSD on some people and its tougher after when your on the liquid post op phrase but somehow you push yourself though it
you can do it

I am following a relatively simple pre-op diet of 1,000 calories a day. However, as a 6'2 male I am finding this pretty hard going. I wonder, is it possible to 'offset' calories with exercise as in a regular calorie counting diet (ie, eat a little extra in exchange for walking, etc)?
i asked the same question to my dietitian as I know im going to find this stage extremely hard. I start on Thursday for four weeks. How long you going to do it for?? I was told i could have a few carrot sticks but nothing else and to drink water when feeling hungry. The diet is to shrink liver and get rid of excess fat etc caused by carbs fat etc. i would try not to jeopardize it easier for me i know as i haven't started but thats what ive been told. All the best with your journey hun. Whens your op?????

I think pre op diet is there set to shrink your liver. And thats why it cant be adjusted or changed according to every different personal likes and dislikes. They know it works so you have to stick with it.

I did a food option of pre op diet. I did go to the gym every other day and then walking at least a few miles a day everyday. And everything was fine. Just drink plenty of water (or other hydration fluids allowed on your diet sheet).

Unfortunately not ........ the pre op is set in stone for a reason do not be tempted to add even the smallest of extra, don't take the risk of getting on that table and them not doing your op because your liver hasn't shrunk!!! stick with it .........its not easy but SO worth it :) x x x xgl

Sorry to say but no.

Preop is set in stone. I too struggled with extreme tiredness with the preop. But just had to suck it up (or not lol) for a couple of weeks.

Found myself going to bed at like 7pm/8pm do I didn't eat or just needed to sleep.

I also took two weeks off work as I was dizzy, tired and lacked do much energy I was ill and looked it. - I was boarder line diabetic before the op so relied on food (didn't we all)

You'll be okay. Time will pass quickly!!

Good luck with it all! See you on the other side xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back