• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MrsDuck's Sleeve Story

MrsDuck

I'm sure many have seen me popping up here and there, however after 4 days of doing precisely NOTHING whilst camping with my OH and our 2 Maltese pooches (Rex & Rocky) I've had lots of time to think - dangerous stuff!! And I decided I'd do a bit of a diary! So here's my little story...

I'm 25, and 20 stone! I kid myself I'm a size 18, but realistically a 22. I refuse to buy a 22 so if the 18 doesn't fit, I don't buy it. I've become an expert shopper at knowing what will fit! I work full time. Live in a village like Emmerdale where everyone know everything. Done the usual diets, lost a few stone, put them back on with another stone to boot and I've ended up here. Wanted a band for years, family and friends at the time thought I didn't need one so I gave up on the idea as having their support played a big part in my decision. Anyway, now 3 years later and 5 stone heavier, I asked friends and family AGAIN last month if they thought that surgery would now be an option and everyone has agreed... so here I am.

When I first joined the forum I had total tunnel vision for a band, I knew everything about a band, how it worked, pros & cons etc. However after seeing my surgeon last week - Prof Ammori - he advised I switched to sleeve. When I was 5 stone lighter and first looking at surgery, a band would have been ideal, however now at 20 stone a sleeve is the more appropriate choice. I have even more weight to loose now and realistically, the band was pushing it. It should come off with a sleeve.

So, we're all booked for 6th May at Spire Manchester.

Feelings & thoughts have been pretty non existent up until this weekend. I hadn't had time to think until now, but having no tv & mobiles to hand is a dangerous situation to be in! This weekend has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Thoughts like:

What if I die? What's going to happen to my new hubby? Should I leave a 'goodbye' note? Should I say 'goodbye'?
Am I being selfish?
Spending all this money on myself and the OH sees none of it?
What am I going to tell people when they ask how I've lost so much weight?

Other nice thoughts like:

Shopping in Topshop, Zara, H&M, River Island. I want a leather jacket from All Saints & a North Face camping coat.

Being able to lift my body into a sleeping bag, rather than shuffling in and ruining the whole made bed.

Not worrying about breaking/fitting in to camping/plastic chairs (not done so yet, but it ALWAYS crosses my mind!)

Not worrying about fitting through turn stiles on country walks and in museums etc.

Not worrying about fitting in the aeroplane seat.

So, I've eaten about 50 last suppers this past two weeks - not good and not recommended. Anyone would think I was never going to eat again. So for that reason, I'm doing a 2 week LSD starting tomorrow. The Prof said I only had to do 1 week, but because the healthy eating has gone out of the window recently, I've decided to do two - it won't do me any harm and it'll also prepare me for what's to come post op. I'm going to do the milk & yog diet. I'm thinking Complan or something similar for B, muller yog for L & soup/very healthy meal (salad) for T.. Does this sound ok?

I'm so excited for the new me. I packed the tent away today thinking "the next time I get you out, I'll be the new me"

Until next time xx

Good luck Mrs Duck!! We will be sleeved on the same day, I'm 4 days into my LSD and doing good so far :) had a terrible headache on the second day but none since then and it wasn't too bad.

Keep in touch :) x

14 days post op sleeved and although I'm still adjusting I know it's one of the best decisions I've ever made!
1st 11lb lost since pre op diet 4 weeks
Best wishes. X

Good luck with your journey Mrs Duck & THANKYOU for mentioning the negative thoughts... I too have been having them lately although I have been trying to push them to the back of my mind, cleaning the house from top to bottom & working overtime has helped so far but reality is catching up with my roller-coaster ride, nerves are kicking in

Wd duck on getting your diary going hunni it really helps to have somewhere to put your thoughts down plus its good to be able to see your progress on days when your in doubt or just feeling down :)
Hope you enjoyed your camping weekend............. and looking forward to your next one lol a whole lot slimmer for sure :)

your LSD sounds fine i was luck enough to do just a low cal diet, details on my diary if your interested in meal ideas......... wishing you all the very best hunni gl and wd x x x x

good luck mrs duck

Good luck mrs duck !
No need to reply in my diary now !!! It will be the best decision you ever made xx

Good luck mrs duck! I was bypassed in feb and already I can say it's the best decision I've ever made xx

Hi all,

Just a small update, spoke to my dietician yesterday and she said I could do slim fast which I'm buzzing about as I find that easy to do. I buy the ready made bottles and have them on the go for B & L, then a healthy T. Started this morning - Tesco got delivered last night! So far so good.

Starting to make preparations for the big day now, and a big concern is what OH is going to eat whilst I'm recovering and on liquids. I make a "decent" home cooked tea every day, so I need to make sure this continues. He can barely make beans & toast for himself so I'm now thinking of doing a big "cook off" next week, make a big chilli, shep pie and portion it out and freeze, so I can re-heat for him when he comes in from work. I've promised him his day to day life won't change to much (he's sweet but he's a HUGE worrier, so I constantly have to put his mind at ease) but I'm now thinking I'm not going to be able to keep this promise of no change. He doesn't want me to change, he likes me how I am, so I have to remind him daily the reasons behind me doing this - IE, health risks of being over weight, shorter life expectancy, so we can't have kids etc. He's a manual labourer, typical traditional Yorkshireman, can't cook won't cook and likes woman "with a bit of meat" on them. He's so set in his ways, its hard to break him... I'm getting there slowly!

Did anyone else worry about OH's diet whilst on liquids and how did you get round it? It's cruel to think I'm going to still have to cook tea for him when I'm not eating anything, talk about dangling the carrot!

Until next time xx

My hubby loves cooking and is a better cook than me, when I came out of hospital he took care of the cooking so I've been very lucky I had some complications in surgery and them ended up back in hospital (just bad luck so don't be worrying) and it's not til recently that things have got back to normal for me. I now do most of the cooking, lovely homemade meals and we both eat the same thing, my portion size is obv much much smaller. Not sure if any of that helped or I'm just waffling on haha but I think if he can't cook you'd be good do do some stuff and stock your freezer up so it's only a matter of heating things up instead of standing cooking. You'll be very tired and have low energy for a while after the op xx

Morning everyone,

Today is my last day at work until I'm ready to come back post op, it suddenly feels very real!

Hospital rang yesterday to give fasting details.. Eeeeeeek.

I've been having some awful feelings the past couple of days that I'm going to die, this worried feeling in the pit of my soon-to-be-removed stomach! This fear doesn't seem to leave me, I'm hoping this is normal?! I was thinking last night, because I value my life and I'm not ready to depart this earth just yet, does that make my decision for surgery stupid? If I value my life so much, why would I risk it all to be thin? I totally over analysis things all the time (as you can see) and I suppose I'm just trying to justify my decision to myself.

My Dad & bro have kept their distance from me for the past week or so too, I've heard on the grapevine from my mum that they're not too happy that I'm going through with it. I presume when I initially told them, I had their support as they didn't think I would actually do it and it was all hearsay so to speak. Now they're realising its not, I think they think if they don't come and see me, it'll make me change my mind??! Errrmmm NO!

Pre-op slim fast diet has been really easy actually. I planned our evening meals for the entire 2 week diet, went online to Tesco and ordered everything I needed. Nothing more, nothing less. I think this has been the key to my success as every night I've known what we're having and there has been no last minute ready meals or takeouts. Tonights tea is french trimmed lamb chop with sweet pot mash & broc. Yum!

Will update on Monday, going to pack hosp bag then.

Until next time xx

Hey mrs duck those feelings are completely normal. My op was very short notice so I didn't really have much time for it but I do remember sitting waiting to go to theatre thinking god what if I die! Don't worry you will be fine!! I wouldn't worry too much about your dad and brother, they're actually prob just very worried for you also. I'm sure when they see the changes in you after surgery they will without doubt know you made the right decision. Good luck with surgery can't wait to follow your weightloss ;) xxx

Good luck Mrs Duck

I enjoy reading your posts and know its just 4 days away now.....how exciting, very best wishes for a speedy recovery

Kate x

I'm having the very same feelings Mrs Duck. Just think of the long term benefits you will be gaining whilst you lose weight. I'm trying to keep the bad feelings at bay!

I have a wedding to get through on Saturday before I can fully pack my bag on Sunday. No alcohol and really have to watch what I eat at the wedding :( feel very bad for lying to friends about why I can't have a drink :( I think the menu is going to be very creamy/fatty from what I've heard :(

But, that said, we're doing this surgery for ourselves and whilst full support from everyone should be forthcoming before hand, I bet your dad and brother will be there 110% after when they see how much happier you are :)

I think we are both being sleeved on the same day if I remember right! Will be thinking about you on the day too :) keep in touch!!xx

Hi Mrs Duck

How exciting !! My dad has also said he wouldn't have the op if he was me - he's been overweight all my life and has heart disease as a result so I'm taking no notice of him ! He also said he hopes I'm ok and don't die! His way of trying to put me off lol !!

It's your body and your life which will be longer, healthier and happier as a result of the wls.

I look forward to reading your updates - keep up posted!

Hugs and love

Nikola xxx

all normal feelings i would worry if i wasnt having feelings like that but try to think positive thoughts like where you will be this time next year

Good luck Mrs Duck and Banana. Your feelings are completely normal, looking forward to your updates.

Back