• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Multidisciplinary Meeting explained please?

kurvykaren

Hi
Well I survived my first appointments at Homerton on Wednesday.
Saw the assessment dietician in the morning, and then a really informative group presentation and discussion, and then one of the surgeons in the afternoon. He said he thinks the bypass would be good for me, which is what I really wanted (after reading lots of stuff about the different options).
I now have to wait a few months for the multidisciplinary team to meet, then another few months for the funding to be approved.
What do the multidisciplinary team discuss? If the assessment dietician and the surgeon agree that surgery would be good for me, what's to discuss? My husband said they probably get together to compare notes incase they disagree on anything and decide how to present my case for funding.
Is this right? Or can anyone advise?
Thanks guys x :confused:

Karen I think your hubby is basically right. They may also decide on other tests you need.

I would have thought it would be to compare what they have noted about yourself and what other tests they recommend you need to have done, where to go from there etc.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, stay positive :) xxxx

You will normally get to see a psychologist/psychiatrist to review you mental state regarding the operation and your attitudes towards food. They will also ask about your past, family and support you have.

This was the one that nearly got my operation delayed, as she wanted me to get some counselling first, but when she spoke to the other member of the MDT, they agreed surgery could go ahead as long as I begun Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as soon as possible alongside the surgery.

I also saw a dietician, a diabetician and an endocrinologist.

They are a broad spectrum to assess if your health and mind will cope with the operation itself and also a life after the operation.

In NHS all things even ordering pens have to go through team before they get the ok.. Just paper work most the time so no 1 person has the final say its what we call covering your back...lol

Back