• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my 16 year old just got sleeved today..

tam773

Everything went well..she sat in the chair mostly all day and walked the halls 3 times. She is just dealing with the pain on dilauid 1 mg every two hrs I overhead a lot of comments from the nurses and staff.. She's too young to have that type of surgery and so on.. My daughter and I discussed and researched the procedure. I just need some feedback and or support
Thanks

Hey, that is young but it's her future you are investing in :) It will enhance her life for the better im sure! A HUGE commitment, especially at just 16. I hope everything works out for you both! :)

I'm sure your daughter didn't go in to this lightly and as you say you did a lot of research. Only the two if you are 'on the spot' so can say if it was the right thing. From a personal perspective, I remember being not much older than your daughter and reading about 'stomach stapling' and wishing I could have it as weight was always an issue with me.

I wish her a speedy recovery and would encourage her to take advantage of it and grab life with both hands x

My initial thought was gosh she is young but then I thought yes it is young but if I had of got this surgery when I was 16 I wouldn't have spent the next 20 years battling my weight, so all credit to her and to you as it cant have been easy for you ether, I no my mum felt a huge responsibility for me and my struggle with my weight ( my mum passed away in January) so she wasn't here to support me though this but I 100% know she wanted the best for me, and im sure thats all you want for your daughter so I wish you both all the luck in the world and I hope your daughter has a slim healthy adult life x x x

I say well done for having the maturity and courage to tackle her weight issues at 16. She will have a quick recovery and a life without the misery and struggles that go hand in hand with obesity. At 16 she is a woman and would only be opting for wls after exhausting other methods. Just like the rest of us. Why wait and waste the best part of her young adult life not living it to the full.
Good luck and wishing you every success.

have to say well done also. The team, doctors, nurses(nevermind those snipers)as well as your daughter and yourself must have thought it was the right thing to do if I was aware of having an op at say in my 20`s (that's when I started to put on weight)I would have gone for it then.i wish her a speedy recovery .

This article is too young:
Obese two-year-old Saudi Arabian boy is the world's youngest person to have gastric bypass surgery At 5st the toddler's legs bowed and doctors in Riyadh decided to operate The procedure involves part of the stomach being cut away International experts said that the case was 'shocking' and 'very unusual. A morbidly obese two-year-old has become the youngest person in the world to undergo a gastrectomy - where most of the stomach is cut away. The parents of the toddler from Saudi Arabia - who weighed more than 5st and had a Body Mass Index of 41 - sought help because he suffered severe breathing problems while asleep. Two attempts to control his weight by dieting failed, wrote his surgeons in an article in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. Operation: A morbidly obese two-year-old has become the youngest person in the world to undergo bariatric surgery Gastrectomy is a drastic alternative to gastric band or bypass surgery - none of which would ever be carried out on pre-teen children in the UK. When he first presented to an endocrinologist at 14 months the toddler weighed 3st 4lb, but after dieting for four months his weight increased to more than 4st. The doctors from Prince Sultan Military Medical City at Riyadh were unable to ascertain whether the child's parents had stuck to the diet.

Your daughter will now have an Improved, healthier life because you have both been brave she won't suffer those sad twenties and thirties years that some of us had ( not that it was all bad). X

Have you got in mind any therapy now she's been sleeved? It is a big deal for anyone, and definitely huge for someone so young. There's a lot of changes to cope with and the food can easily be swapped for alcohol. I'd worry she's in a vulnerable age group for that to happen so would be heavily investing in CBT and other therapy to help avoid that once the weight loss honeymoon period is over. But then I think whatever your age that's a good idea as regain can happen across the board.

I was in with an 18yr old getting bypassed (I'm 36) and I could see why she'd opted to do it and what benefit she'd get. It's great she's got you there to support her.

hi there!
I think good on you for tackling your daughters problem head on! 16 is young but you have done your research and believe this is clearly the best option for her. Looking back at myself if i knew then what i knew now i would have sought help a lot sooner to deal with my weight.
Some therapy like cbt may also be a really good idea to run in tandem with the weight loss surgery. Help to break the cycle of eating. x x

I wish you and her well i think you have both been very brave x x

She is doing much better than yesterday.. She is moving more and the pain has subsided. She going to have a swallowing test today and will start to drink liquids if all goes well with the test. She can't wait she is experiencing some hunger pains..lol

Best of luck to you both. As I think it was said I think the only disadvantage to doing it young is the psychological side of things may be tougher in some ways but it sounds like you are a great mum who will give her all the support she needs. Hopefully she will get a chance at life younger than a lot of us missed xx

Hi I hope your daughter is doing ok I'm having my sleeve preformed on the 7th December so I'm very excited . Who cares what people think if she is only 16 your her mother and it's your choice and your daughter will benefit so much from it I wish you both all the best xxxx

My life would have been so different if I had the op at 16.... I wish you both well.. good decision. x

Back