• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My 600lb life

shelleymarie

Anyone else watch this? I'm currently watching it as I recorded it. It's on Monday nights on Really tv. Wow I'm finding it really confronting. It's an american show and the first episodes are following Melissa who started at over 600lb, took her a while to find a surgeon but she did and had a gastric bypass. It follows her as she loses weight. Her fears, hopes and up's and downs are so familiar it's strange to watch. As I'm sure they would be to most people who have had wls. At one point she goes to a family reunion and some of the things people say and happen there have her emotions all over the place. From high to low in seconds, it really reminds me of how I feel at the moment. You know how you are over the moon that you can fit in a tiny chair but then you feel someone staring at you and you remember you are still a fat person with so far to go. She voices something I think about a lot and that is, this is working now and I'm working hard, I plan to continue to work hard but what if I fail? I've failed many times before and although I have no intention of failing this time but I know it can happen. She says it's hard not to live in fear of that, and I can definitely relate.

It also brings up some big issues as to why we get as big as we do. Her emotional reasons stem from some of worst things to go through in life. So like I say, brings up some confronting issues. There are lots of other things to do with relationships changing after that I thought lots of people would be able to relate to too.

Have you watched it? what were your thoughts/feelings about it?

I finished watching it and it was very inspirational. She lost 500lb and kept it off for the 7 years they filmed her. She put some weight back on when she got pregnant but then lost more again. I did some research and she is now expecting her second baby and works for her doctor as patient liaison. I highly recommend catching the next episode, hopefully the next person will do as well as her :)

Hi

I watched this as well.

2 things struck me though, the couple marriage didn't look to strong towards the end, the husband did not like the idea of his wife no longer being dependent on him. The other thing is as they didn't look like they had much of an income I wonder how they managed to afford the insurance to pay for her bypass and the loose skin removal. Or was it all paid for by the TV company, take note shaw Summers if they did.

Paul

I did wonder why she stayed with him, not because of the weight loss but because of his cheating. No excuses but even if she were to forgive and forget the stuff that happened whilst their lives were so miserable, he seemed to continue once she had lost weight. After a little research I saw they are still together and expecting their second baby so maybe they managed to work through it all.
I noticed how much work she seemed to have done, not sure how insurance works over there but if the film company paid for it I think I'd be prepared to be followed round for 7 years for the price of 3 major surgeries.

Back