• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass

wobbles

A few others have done their bypass diaries on here so i thought i would join in.

My last night at home tonight. Tomorrow i get the call to tell me when to go to St James where i will be staying before my operation on Wednesday. I'm really not looking forward to the bowel cleansing drink i'll be given, i have a phobia of diarea (sp?) and i know i won't get any sleep, especially being away from home.

I've been doing my pre op diet for 9 days now and to date have lost 4.5 kilos. If i ever see another salad, it will be too soon.

I'm getting rather anxious about it all. Logically i know i will be fine, i will survive the surgery, the pain i can handle, i'll have drugs, catheta - not looking forward to, and the nose tube, i'm quite worried about. Finding a comfortable sleeping position, in hospital where sleep isn't something you get much of anyway, is something that's worrying me, and the fact that it's such a huge change to my life.

I know it will all be worth it, and it won't take long to see some results.

My mother in Australia couldn't be any less supportive, hasn't even called to ask how i'm feeling, or say good luck. SHe sent an email, briefly saying good luck, and telling me i'm going to be in a lot of pain, and that she hopes it's worth it. She obviously thinks i'm taking the easy way out.

I'm worried about being away from my 14 month old son for a few days, and worried about how my husband will cope looking after him on his own. We have no family or friends who can help out.

I feel like i have a hundred and one things to get prepared tomorrow before i go. Pack my bag, shave my legs (very important), write a list for my husband regarding our son, make some phone calls, have my appointment with the psychiatrist, wash my hair. I know it doesn't sound like much once its written, but it feels overwhelming but i've left it all to the last minute as usual.

I can't wait to be able to go out shopping and be able to buy clothes in normal clothes shops. To be able to go out in public without having people look at me the way they do. can't wait to be proud of myself, feel healthy, and not be in pain all the time. Have energy and self confidence.

I have 11 stone to lose, and i want to do it by the time i'm 30 which is 16 months away.

One thing i'm REALLY worried about is excess skin, especially around my tummy and upper arms. I'm pretty sure i will have a lot, despite my best intentions with exercise. I can't afford the gym, i can't afford to buy exercise equipment, so will have to improvise, but i know i'll never be able to afford cosmetic surgery, so i'm really worried.

I have no idea what the hospital is going to be like. I'm used to Australian hospitals, and know nothing about hospitals here.
Has anyone else ever been to St James in Leeds? My surgeon will be Mr Pollard.

Does anyone have any last minute advice?

Not got any advice as not got as far as surgery myself. Just wanted to wish you good luck and I look forward to following your progress when your on the losing side. Good weight loss with your pre op diet though I am very impressed....xx

Wishing you all the best wishes in the world! You know you will be fine, its the beginning of a new life for you. Of course you're gonna be sore at first, we all were, but please believe me when I say it will be worth it! Its not the easy way out, as you know, but it is a way out. Your worries are all completely normal, you wouldnt be human if you were not nervous! Keep that thought of all the nice clothes you are gonna buy, and stay positve! We're always here for you. UK hospitals are fine...I prefer them to German ones anyway!:rolleyes:

Good luck,

Kel xx

Hey Erin, you'll be fine :hug99: If you're feeling a bit stressed over your to do list, write it down properly, prioritise it, and then cross off each thing as you do it. Crossing off is very therapeutic :)

Your husband will be fine. Men are suprisingly able when put to the test ;) My theory is they just pretend to be useless the rest of the time!

With the exercise, there is plenty you can do at home or for free, walking, going up and down the stairs, lifting tins of beans, etc. Does your PCT do prescribed exercise? Many do, it might be worth asking your GP. That way you could use a local 'council' leisure centre facilities for free.

You'll be fine, I'll be on MSN for an hour or so yet if you want to let out some of your nerves :hug99:
Don't worry about sleeping in hospital, post op you'll have no trouble and it will be pretty much all you do for the first 24 hours!

Hi Erin hope everything goes ok for you. it's natural to feel nervous hun but just think you will soon be seeing all your hard work paying off in no time at all.

my list was very similar to your shave legs was one of the top too!! good luck and keep us posted xx

I would kill for one last slice of pizza! Am bargaining with myself, little devil on one shoulder, little angel on the other, i'm hungry, it's late, my husband will be home from the pub soon, and i just want one last slice.....uugghhhhh!!

you've come this far, don't spoil it now! You know you'll be racked with guilt afterwards, so is it worth it? Think Liver!

Update

I've been home from hospital since yesterday lunch time. I really didn't want to leave hospital, i was feeling too dependant on their care and was really worried about how i would cope at home. I'm still feeling as though i'd rather be in hospital.

The nursing staff couldn't have been better, they were amazing and i was in a bed next to another lady who was having a gastric bypass on the same day as me. So i've made a new friend and it really helped having someone else there with me who was going through the same things.

One thing that shocked me, is the amount of pain and discomfort that followed the surgery. I'm still extremely uncomfortable, and suffering a lot of pain and find it very hard to find a comfy position sitting and laying down. I'm pretty sure it's all just surgical bruising. Waking up from the aneasthesia was horrific, and i remember it all. I was tachycardic, panicking, sick, and in a huge amount of pain. The morphine didn't take the pain away completely, and was still using suppositories (which were fantastic) but was still in a lot of pain.

Now that i am home, i'm very tired most of the time, can't do much, can't get comfortable, and can't work out what all these pains and noises are coming from my tummy. Is it hunger pain, or surgical pain? Is it just wind, or do i need to run to the toilet?
I'm finding the wind pain is almost unbearable.

Tonight i'm having weight watchers yogurt. It's really nice, and it's going down well enough although this morning i tried some pureed porridge and it was very painful. Soup, and yogurt seems to sit fine, but i never know how much to have and when to stop.

When the surgical pain settles down, am i going to be in this much discomfort when it comes to eating and hunger pains and winds? Will i ever be able to eat normally again? Have i done the right thing? Was it so bad being fat? Why didn't i just try one more diet? Is it all going to be really worth it? What have i done? Is it ever going to stop hurting?

I stopped taking my prozac on the day of the operation, and didn't take it again till today so depression has set in, despite how much i'm fighting it, i'm trying to just let it ride, go with the flow sort of things.

I was very good and followed my pre op diet. I did give in and had a pizza the night before i went into hospital, but once i was in hospital i didn't regret it because the girl in the next bed, hadn't done her pre op diet at all, and was told that day by the surgeon, to eat anything she could possibly want for the last time. I felt really ripped off and annoyed, that i'd done so well sticking to it, and was desperately wanting to have just one more piece of chocolate, or cake, or whatever, but was scared they wouldn't operate, and it turned out i could've had anything i wanted.

My bypass mate had some chocolate she shared with me, and the nurse found me some goodies to have a last second pig out, but got no satisfaction from it at all. Right now though, i would give my right arm for a bowl of pasta, or a sandwich, or a pizza, or just something substantial. Not because i'm hungry, but because i'm so used to eating what i want, when i want.

Im having problems with taking all the tablets i need to take, especially each morning. There is 2 prozac tablets, 1 pariet, 2 domperidone, and 2 ibuprofen. Drinking enough water with each tablet to get it down, hurts, and by the time i've taken all the pills, i'm in a lot of discomfort and want nothing to do with food and have to wait for the pain to settle before i can eat anything.

I'm confused as to why the scales say i'm heavier than what i was before the operation, but i guess it's just swelling.

I guess i'm hoping someone will tell me that it is all worth it, that it will get better and easier from now on, and that i have made the right decision.

Sorry this has been so long.

Oh wobbles poor you, I really feel for you. I am sure most of the pain will be wind (I have not had surgery yet so dont know for sure). Once everything has settled down I am sure you will be find, you have had major surgery and you will be feeling fragile mentally as well as physically. I am sure some post bypassers will be along soon to give you some advice I can only give you a ((hug)).....xx

Thanks Linda, i've been reading your posts, and i know you want it sooner rather than later, but i thought i did too, and wish maybe i appreciate life a little more pre-pain. It will happen for you soon, i'm sure of it.

Hey wobbles :hug99: sounds like you're having a hard time of it.

A lot of people get the blues a few days post op, so maybe that, combined with the depression, is making you feel so awful? We cope with pain less well when we're not feeling too good.

I would say that most of your pain is from the wind. I hardly had any pain once I'd been discharged but I didn't have any wind problems, so for me the surgical pain wasn't too bad. The wind will disperse, try some gripe water, or rennies deflatine (chewable so no more swallowing pills) to help. The best way to shift the wind is to move around as much as possible, but don't push yourself too hard.

At the beginning its hard to know when you're full with liquids, as your tummy is swollen and liquids pass through to the intestines very quickly. It does get much easier and you soon learn the feelings which mean stop and how much you can generally eat (although I find that varies day to day). For now, things egg sized. Your tummy is roughly the size of an egg, so for the first couple of days I had liquids roughly the size of an egg.

With your tablets, I find swapping the routine around helps. I was on these horridly massive stinky pills a while ago and was really struggling to take them. A nurse friend told me to take some liquid into my mouth first, then the pill, and swallow. I find it uses far less liquid to get them down that way too.

If you're struggling with the pills, get your gp to prescribe them in liquid format. I know prozac and ibuprofen are available as liquids, although your pharmacist may have to order them in for you.

Everything will get easier, and you will soon realise it is a worthwhile thing to do. I had that 'oh my god what have I done' panic, and I'm sure we're not alone ;) It's completely natural! Now though, I'm losing weight steadily, I feel amazing, food isn't an issue, and if I want a treat i can have it. It is truly the best thing i have ever done for me.

Thanks Linda, i've been reading your posts, and i know you want it sooner rather than later, but i thought i did too, and wish maybe i appreciate life a little more pre-pain. It will happen for you soon, i'm sure of it.

Thanks wobbles, I hope your feeling a bit better today, it will take time hun and we are all here for you...xx

3 weeks ago and it is worth it from my pre op diet i have lost 2 stone so far and its weigh in day on monday,the pain does get better its just because when they open you up they move your ribs and its just them that are bruised just keep taking your tablets and it does get better,i've had my bad days but the good make up for it

Thanks sheera, glad to know i'm not the only one, but realistically i realise everyone goes through this.

I'm feeling a lot better now. Had my staples out yesterday which hurt a little, but i got to keep the staples in a little jar. I'm still a little sore, but not really bad enough to take tablets for.

I'm sticking to sloppy food as i want to give my tummy time to heal, and i don't want to stretch it too soon, but also want to lose weight quicker and see some results.

I'm trying not to weigh myself everyday but the temptation gets the better of me. I'm never disappointed, and i don't take it too seriously yet. I'm wondering when i'll get to see a dietician or doctor for follow up and weigh in, but currently things are going well.

The main problem i'm having, is that i do not own a warm coat to wear now that it's getting cold. I don't want to go and buy a brand new one that is expensive and not be able to wear it for very long, but i can't find cheap ones big enough to fit me now.

Does anyone have any size 26 winter coats/jackets/jumpers that they want to donate to a very cold aussie girl in leeds?

I am sorry to hear you felt rough and are now cold. I don't have any clothes to spare, but do you have a trusted friend that could nip out to a charity shop for you to see what they can find?

I am doing loads of shopping in them as I have dropped 2 sizes in 6 weeks!!!

Wobbles, I wanted to offer you a tip on tablets if you are still having issues. My ward nurse said that I could crush my blood pressure pill and sprinkle it into a spoonful of yogurt. I haven't had any problems doing it that way, take a teaspoon of yogurt put it on the base of a larger spoon, add your crushed pill then cover with another teaspoon of yogurt. It might help, :p

Back