• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Bypass

oh arnt you the lucky 1 when they took my staples out my wound opened up so i have a 5 inch open wound lol have to go to doctors everyday for them to clean and dress it but i still dont have any regrets and i will have a look for a coat for you me and my sister are the same size at the moments so between us we must have a spare 1 where in leeds are you i'm in oakwood

Hey PG, great idea about the tablets, will give it a go, thanks for that.

Sheera, i'm in Meanwood, so not far from you. The top of my wound looks a little yukky, but it's where my bra is rubbing. My rib cage is still sore tho.

Have had a really crap day today. Am struggling with not being able to eat, even normal, low fat solid food. I know it's all p art of the learning process, but when i'm feeling hungry, and low because my glucose level is low due to having not really eaten, i get cranky. So i've had some soup and a hot chocolate, and am feeling a little better.

I certainly haven't lost my desire to eat. I desperately want to eat, even healthy low fat food, and i feel hungry, but knowing i can't eat anything solid makes me not want to bother eating at all, so at best i'm having maybe 2 tubs of yoghurt a day and that's all.

I'm frustrated because i can't see the weight loss. My clothes aren't any bigger on me, and i feel like everyone expects to see me half my size already. But i know it will come with time, and i need to stop thinking about it all.

I'm getting more and more upset about my mother who isn't in touch, but that's a whole other counselling session.

My hubby goes back to work tomorrow, which i;m not looking forward to, leaving me with our 15 month old toddler who can be very demanding. I love him to bits, but i've enjoyed having hubby here to help so much that i'm worried about being left alone with our son again.

Just a quick question, when did everyone start eating normal low fat solid food again..as in, how many weeks post op?

Hi Erin,

I was about 4-5 weeks post op before I got on to normal food properly. I was on mushy sloppy foods from about 2 weeks though, including things like cottage pie, lasagne and spag bol. BUT I wouldn't advocate it, I was naughty and impatient and have just been lucky to get away with it.

You're not going to see much loss until you start eating regularly. At your stage I was on 3 'meals' and 3 snacks a day (as per my guidelines) as you have to eat to lose weight, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode.

A typical day for me at 2 weeks post op was -

Breakfast - yoghurt or actimel yoghurt drink
Mid Morning - glass of milk
Lunch - 1/2 can of tomato soup with low fat cheese
Mid Afternoon - slice of corned beef or a dairylea strip cheese
Dinner - spoon of mash with mushy peas
Evening - Milky hot chocolate

As my meals got more solid I cut back the snacks and now have 3 meals a day and a glass of milk in the evening.

You will get the results but it takes time, don't expect too much too soon!

Thanks Shel, i really appreciate that, you're so helpful all the time. Patience has never been my strong point, i have so much to learn.

It is a lot to learn, but you learn it naturally as you go along. You learn to take small bites and eat slowly after a few episodes of trapped wind, and you learn to keep it sloppy after a blockage lol.

hiya you wont notice a difference in your clothes for a while you stomach will be so swollen from the op i'm still in my same clothes as before and have just started to fasten my buttons so dont worry about it,and i really think your putting to much on yourself you shouldnt be looking after your child alone my hubby as gone part time so there is someone to look after my baby all the time

Shel, are blockages something we'll always have to worry about?

Sheera, i don't have an option with my son, my husband has to work otherwise the rent doesn't get paid and we don't eat. My son goes to a childminder two days a week which gives me a little break though.

wobbles just in response to the blockage thing. i have good days and bad days tend to fine if i eat to much or eat the wrong things i still get it. been really bad with it the last couple of days. i think it's about training your mind around your new eating habits and i guess as i haven't has many problems i have pushed myself and really suffered! good luck with it all x

It's only happened once for me Erin so no idea sorry. It was a tiny amount of steamed tuna steak (which I've had before no probs) and I got a very sudden feeling of fullness after only a couple of small mouthfuls. For me, I hadn't eaten too much or too fast, it just came from nowhere. I literally couldn't even take a sip of water till the next day! It's not pleasant, but it does pass (next day I was fine), and it's a small price to pay.

Thanks girls, i guess it must be an individual thing.

I'm going to write my own low fat recipe book, i'm looking forward to it, and i'm really looking forward to eating healthily and treating my body properly for a change. Have spent so many years abusing it, it's time to respect it.

Am feeling all over the place today. Weighed myself, and have lost 8 kilos in 2 weeks since the op. Am happy about that, but can't help feeling disappointed that it's not more. Hve to remember that a loss is a loss, and that it doesn't matter how much, so long as i'm losing it.

Am feeling really lonely today. Want to go out shopping for something to do with my son, but have no one to go with. I have no friends or family here in the UK, and i seem to be finding it really difficult to make new ones.

Me and my mum have a crappy past, but still get on mostly well, she lives in australia, and she very rarely gets in contact, not even to ask how her grandson is doing. Not once has she called to find out if i survived the surgery, or ask how i'm healing or feeling or doing. She didn't say good luck before the op or wish me well either. It's all really starting to get to me, and i don't know what to do.

I have my last counsellors appointment on Monday, i'm not looking forward to it. The NHS only gives so many sessions and then you have to be referred onwards. I have been referred for psychotherapy but don't know when i'll get an appointment. I really like my counsellor and am so upset i won't get to see her anymore, especially now when i feel i have so much to talk about.

Will i ever have anything to offer anyone?

Sorry, just feeling sorry for myself.

I think you have post op blues chick, ((hug)). I know what it feels like to be lonely, and in deed you can be in a crowded room and still feel lonely. I have been sat here thinking if I go for my op on saturday my son is working nights and said he wont have the energy to get me to manchester and back, he cant take time off as its too short notice and he wants me to try and find someone else. Which means he wont want to be there for me when I come around after the op, a not so close friend said they will take me but cant pick me up as they may have other plans by then! and my sister lives miles away and is currently in india on holiday, my daughter has not spoken to me in 8 months and I have visions of waking after the op feeling crap and having noone around me so I really really do know how you feel....I am sure I will get through this and so will you, you have been strong enough to get this far and if I lived nearer I would love to come shopping with you as its what I love to do best.....chin up chick we are all here for you...xx

Linda, i'm so sorry you have few people you can count on at the moment. I too would be there for you if i lived closer. I hope you're able to find someone you can rely on, and who'll be there for you once you wake up.
May i ask why your daughter hasn't spoken to you in 8 months?
I hope the nurses for you are as wonderful as they were for me.

Hi my daughter and I had been very very close and since she starting working in the same place as me she changed and became distant, we had a minor tiff and a few days later she sent me a four page letter telling me what she thought of me, she broke me heart and I know the old daughter that was close would be fussing over me right now instead one of the last things she said was she did not care if I was dead....I just wanted you to know there are some of us that know how you feel and you are not alone....xx

Erin :hug99: am on MSN for a while if you want to chat, although waiting for a builder so may disappear for 10 mins at any point!

Are you coming to the Manchester meet next weekend? Do hope so :)

anytime, will send you my mobile number that way if you feel low you can always text x

Thanks Shel, really appreciate that. You've been such a hugely positive influence.
Not sure about the meet up, i didn't realise it was this weekend, and even tho i'm relatively close to Manchester, i wouldn't have a clue where i'm going to get there. I do however go over to Chester regularly, and am familiar with the Wirral :)

Well have a think about Manchester, I know its a bit scary meeting up with a group but I think once you got there you'd really enjoy it. The trafford centre is really easy to find and lurrrrrrrrvely.

Next time you're coming over this way, give me a shout :)

Thought i would update this.

As you all know, i've been feeling rather down in th dumps last couple of days. I finally received an email from my evil mother, telling me all about herself and not once asked me how i was after the operation. I have replied to her, telling her how hurt i am.

I have problems with two other friends now, and so in short, am feeling very hurt and let down.
Today has been a horrific day. Hubby back at work, miserable weather, bored toddler refusing to sleep, and me dwelling on my feelings, wanting to eat, but not being able to. Spent most of the morning in tears, desperately needing a friend to call on, only realising i didn't have any!!

I'm feeling a lot better now. Spoken to the dietician on the phone and she told me that considering i can eat anything so long as i chew it properly, including bread, that i'm allowed to move onto a solid, but soft diet. She chastised me for only eating once a day, and reminded me i need to get it into my head to eat 3 times per day, and to just be cautious.

This morning, i made myself the nicest milkshake with low fat ice cream, semi skimmed milk, and one small spoon of chocolate powder from my low fat hot chocolate. It was delicious, however, within minutes, i was ill!! Felt really sick, drained, awful, and thankfully hubby came home for lunch to play with son while i got an hours sleep. Woke up, had to run to the toilet!! So i guess it was the ice cream...dunno, but it wasn't nice.

Got appointment letter today to see surgoen but it's not until the 22nd december :(

I have 4 sets of scales in my house, all of them are rubbish, and all say something different. Have realised i've not lost as much weight as i thought, and am truly gutted about it! However, my jeans are almost falling off me, and people are noticing the weight loss already which is nice.

Feeling a lot more positive knowing i can eat real food now. Had been having the ocassional bowl of pasta or rice, or scrambled eggs, or baked beans, but now that i'm allowed to eat those things, i don't feel so bad. I've only had one blockage but that was because i was really naughty, and deserved it. Otherwise i'm handling normal food very well. Feeling more optimistic.

Still lonely, but realise i need to make more effort to make friends.

Now waiting for backlash from nasty evil mother.

Back