• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My experiences

Hi everyone,

I think this site is fantastic. I never knew it existed till a lady I was in hospital with told me about it. Everyone is so supportive and friendly.

I am 3 days post op. I had the gastric band fitted. Does anyone have any good ideas for the liquid diet I could use? Do they actually sell those clear soups they give you in hospital? I went to tesco the other day and couldn't find them anywhere!

I have had trouble with my weight since my teenage years. I got bullied at school and ate for comfort. I was really fat by the time i left school. Over the next few years I started work and lost lots of weight. I looked ok and everyone said I'd lost my puppy fat. Unfortunately when I was 19 I had a miscarriage and it all went downhill from there. I put on loads of weight (comfort eating) and I've never been a slim size since.

Ive had two children and put on extra weight each time. I got to the end of my tether with it last year. I started researching surgery options and decided that the band was the one 4 me. Anyone who can give me any tips to help me along, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
R

Hi R,

Congrats on taking that huge step to confront your problems, it's a difficult thing to do and takes a lot of courage.

Not sure which clear soups the hospitals use, but have you tried the 10cal soup range? They come in little boxes and are normally with the cup-a-soups. They are all clear ones I think from memory.

Alternatively, clear soup is quite easy to make.

Clear Chicken Soup -
1/2 pint of chicken stock (made from a cube or concentrate)
handful of cooked chicken, chopped
handful of onion, chopped
herbs (such as tarragon, parsley, thyme)

Bring all to the boil, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes on a low heat to allow all the flavours to infuse. Pass through a seive and bin the lumps!

You can adapt this for lots of flavours, use veggie stock and add any veggies you like, such as carrots and coriander, onion, mushroom etc. Just always allow a good simmering time and then seive to remove the lumps.

HTH

Shel :)

Hi there and welcome to minimins. We have lots of people that have had the band and they are full of good advice. The liquid stage is a bit boring but very easy. Shel gave you some great advice above, she's a fountain of good info that one:D! You can also buy stock cubes like OXO and they are considered clear (they come in beef, chicken & veg). I used them a bunch during my liquid stage.

Good luck and take care.:)

hi i am on the liquid stage at the moment try ski yougarts they are nice and take the edge of if you have a sweet tooth, one thing i had found nice is heinz pea and ham soup but sieve it so there are no bits and a squirt of brown sauce (tastes like stew) also if you are wanting something a little more filling try a weetabix in hot milk so it completely dissolves or i have been having ready brek but really runny that is nice and warms and fills you. hope this helps!! xx

That is very helpful for me Shel, thank you so much.

I felt all alone in my journey before I came onto this site. My family are not supporting me through this as they feel I have wasted a lot of money on vanity. My partner is a bit better but doesnt really get what I'm going through.

Thanks for both your kind replies ladies x:)

hi r and welcome to minis, another tip is to buy some ice lolly moulds and pour in smooth low fat yoghurt and freeze it, it gives a bit texture when on liquids ands melts in the pouch, i found them great !!

liz xxx

Hiya :wavey:
Having this surgery done is not anything to do with vanity- it is about making yourself healthier. You made a very brave decision to have the surgery done- you have taken steps to change your life for good- you took action, instead of just letting it get worse and worse and worse. :hug99:
How are you feeling today?? I had some soup today, which Mr.Amorri said when i left would be OK to have- it was some of the tesco's light tomato soup- i just sipped it slowly. It should be ok for you to have that soup too?? Might be more exciting than oxo cubes anywayz!! ;)
Sending you loadz of hugz :grouphugg: :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

for my liquid diet i had
clear and strained soups
oveltien and horliks light
no bits lo fat yogurt
bovril
innocent for kids smoothies
ice pops
skimmed milk
plus water and coffee.
HTH
carole

Hi Lizzie,

How are you feeling now? I'm glad you can eat soup now. I feel good now, my wounds are still a bit sore but thats to be expected bcos were not even a week post op yet.

Mr Ammori was great, so professional and friendly. i really liked the hospital we were in too.

I hope you get well soon mate and thanx 4 the words of encouragement. im sending you positive thoughts and hugs too.
lv R x

Hi Carole,
Thank you very much for the list of things you could have during the liquid stage. That will come in very handy. Where did you get the clear soup from?

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss. Your doing great.
Kind regards
R x

wrong post ;)

Hi Lizzie,

How are you feeling now? I'm glad you can eat soup now. I feel good now, my wounds are still a bit sore but thats to be expected bcos were not even a week post op yet.

Mr Ammori was great, so professional and friendly. i really liked the hospital we were in too.

I hope you get well soon mate and thanx 4 the words of encouragement. im sending you positive thoughts and hugs too.
lv R x

:wavey: hiya!!
I had a look at my wounds yesterday and was amazed at how neat they where, they are healing really well. I still feel really tender and it stil hurts and is a bu**er at night to get comfy, but as you said it is early days.
I thought Mr.Amorri was brilliant, i really liked him. I thought he was so caring and genuine. He asked me to email him a photo in a couple of months, which i thought was lovely :)
:hug99: :hug99: lots of hugz :hug99: :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Which hosp is Dr Amorri at?I'm going to see Dr Brough at macclesfield:D

Dr Ammori works out of Hope (which I think is the old Manchester Royal), the alexadria, and the Spire Manchester. He does not work Macclesfield...xx

Hi Candie,
Dr Ammori does the Alexandra in cheadle, Hope in Salford and another 1 I cannot remember. He was so kind and caring along with professional. I really liked him and trusted him completely.
Regards R x

Thanks ladies, I wont be meeting the lovely Dr Ammori then as am going to Macclesfield:cry::cry:

No NHS hun:D

Back