• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My op didn't happen. Saddest day of my life.

Carolined

so what happened today- i hit my target, a 38lbs loss!
Everyone very happy. passed all the tests, perfect candidate to go ahead after 5 hours of sitting on a chair in the waiting room I was finally put in a gown, saw surgeon and anaesthetist.
Everyone all very happy, told I was the perfect patient. So I go down to surgery, get put under...

I wake up and see the clock- I had been in for 20 mins? I manage to ask has it been done? "No, but we need to wait for your mum to come back" I start crying, i mean this was the saddest I think i may have ever felt. I couldnt stop saying "but I weighed and measure everything". I coulndt look at anyone. It all felt like a dream, this couldnt be happening. I did everything I was told to. Why has this happened. I felt like i had fallen into a deep dark hole.

If you really know me this wont sound "dramatic", I needed this and had worked my ass off to get it. I am told my liver was just too big, I was utterly confused as i had followed my pre op diet TO THE LETTER. They call my mum in and explain everything to her.

Turns out they are 100% happy with everything I had done and they could tell I had stuck to the diet, however I am a bit of an freak, only the 4th ever person to have the problem I have- i have an enormous liver, they just couldn't get around it, not even if they opened me up fully. Nothing I could have done about it they kept telling me.

This doesn't help me feel better, but it helps that no one thinks i cheated, because i really didn't. I am really really sad. They are going to try the op again in 4 weeks, but they want me to loose another 2 stone 3 lbs. Can you imagine how that feels? A month to loose that much, god knows how it'll happen as in the 3 weeks on the pre op I only lost 18lbs. And that was with exercise. They are giving me 4 weeks to loose 32.

I feel sad and empty. What do you do, say and feel when your best isn't good enough? I had ZERO control over this issue the dr said, but that doesn't help right now. I wont stop the diet. But I just am hopeless that my liver wont get any smaller.

This journey is impossibly difficult. I have given up smoking, drinking and obviously lots of food. I dont know what else I can do.

The team will be calling me on Monday. I am expecting to be put on the milk diet. I have been on 2 slim fast and one 400 cal evening meal (with limits on protein 100g and carb limit of 2 small new potatoes, 3 tbsp of veg).

In the past year I have researched this whole project, i've watched countless videos on youtube, I felt totally prepared.

I wasn't prepared for this.

Awwww hun my heart really goes out to you. This is nearly everyone's nightmare scenario. All you can do is stick to what your surgeon is telling you. He didn't take the decision lightly as It would not have been safe for you at all for him to have carried on.
It is not unusual to be asked to do the pre op diet for 4wks especially if you are looking at a BMI of over 50. Some have even been asked to do the milk diet for six weeks... One lady had to do it twice when her first op was cancelled after the discovery that she had sleep apnoea. I had to lose nearly 8 stones in six months to get my surgery albeit with the aid of a gastric balloon but it was no picnic and I went on to lose over 9 :) So chin up hun you can do it!!

I am so sorry - the disappointment is hard to bear. Your team will help you through this - at least they are prepared to try again. Follow their advice and hopefully next time it will be fine. They know what they are dealing with so will be prepared next time.

TBx

Oh god thats awful im sorry. Gearing yourself up to go through with the operation and then to find it hasnt happened.
Unfortunately theres not much you can do about your liver, apart from try a further four weeks and hope this helps. If not its not for lack of you trying.
I hope the next four weeks go well and you keep focused on your diet, disappointment like this is such a set back.

Aw Caroline, I'm so sorry it didn't happen for you today :( it sounds like the whole team are behind you 100%, they know how much you want this!! Try to stay positive, they are looking after your health as a main priority and still want to to forward.

None of this is your fault hun, I wish I could do so much more to help lift your mood **hugs**

We're all behind you too, stay strong xxxx

Oh Caroline :( You have worked so hard, fought so hard for this journey, it must be heartbreaking. Nothing we can say can console you. But I must echo that this is not your fault. The milk diet has its uses and in many ways is easier than a food based diet. Keep us informed.

I feel for you hun... hang in there, continue do what you are doing.. Your time will come again. Before you know it 4 weeks will come and go so quickly..xx

OK, this is tough - but you are STRONG.

Pick yourself up, get into the mindset and fight for this.

It's everything you want, and you can do it. Don't fall apart.

Think of the long term goal. Be strong and I wish you the very best of luck.

Oh no bless you that must be so awful, but you WILL do this because you are stong, keep a diary on here (if you've not already got one) and we will cheer you on daily :)

How awful!

Have you considered a VLCD slimming club. I've done this several times with an excellent weight loss in the first month ( about 2 stone ). Xx

oh no - I would be devastated - but they have to keep you safe and if the op isn't safe they can't do it! work your butt off, stay determined and tell the universe that this isn't going to stop you - this is a delay only - you can do this!

It must be so hard to do everything right, to be a good person who deserves to get what you've worked so hard for and to be so close.
It's ok to be sad and acknowledge that.
But don't let it keep you down. You've got work to do and you can do it.
You're clearly invested emotionally in making this happen. It will happen.
I'm excited to hear all about your success.

so sorry to hear that hun but just remember how far youve come! your body is now in that losing state. Continue with the diet even hit the milk diet, you CAN do this!

Hi caroline,
Thats such deverstating news so sorry.
But as everyone has said stay strong pick yourself back up and start again.
YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT.
faye

The hole is getting deeper and darker

T:cry:hanks everyone, your warm comments are very welcome. Thank you wholeheartedly.

However things are not going at all well.

last week I received a letter, (yes in a letter) I was informed that my liver biopsy showed that i am in the last stage of liver failure. I am at the stage where i should be yellow apparently. This is non- alcoholic failure please may I add.
Getting this letter felt like a joke, earlier that day I was so upset and emotionally broken I was thinking- things cant get worst at least. Then this letter appeared.

I spent the next couple of days trying to convince myself that this was more incentive to keep on track. But that didn't work.

I lost 4.5 lbs last week! yey!
This week i have put on 4lbs.

A gain is terrifying. I know how it happened, I lost it for 2 days. I can only blame a lack of self control, me ending my long term relationship and trying to come to terms with it, The aforementioned letter and the time of the month. All these things combined just broke me.

I have been in a state of darkness. I just don't see why bother the time of the surgical team and go for this new op date. My new date is 3rd of September.
If my liver isn't smaller then once again the op will not happen.
I do not think I could handle that again. That feeling will never leave me.

the nurse told me I can push the date to october if I feel I really need to.

I return to uni at the end of September, I live in halls as uni is very far from home. I know for sure I cant keep up this diet while at uni. It just wont happen.

I also have the letter to face up to, the letter told me that substantial weight loss (and get snappy about it) is the only chance of saving my liver.

So those things tell me I need to go for the September date.

I am in a state of constant fear and shame. Of everything that goes in my mouth. I cried over the worry of cucumber yesterday. Its stupid isn't it.

I need this operation to happen. I need to have it over with so soon. I cant keep up with this level of stress.

Back