• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my sleep study results

janie32

I was referred for a sleep study before I was referred for WLS, as it was a problem I was having already.
I was only referred 3 months ago, had my first appointment 6 weeks ago. I went back for my results on wednesday,and wasnt suprised to be told I have sleep apnea.

My sats drop to as low as 55% and i stop breathing up to 56 times an hour.

What DID suprise me was I came home with a cpap that day!
Two nights on and i am not doing too bad. Oddly enough the first night was fine, but last night it irritated me no end, kept feeling air blowing around my eyes and took me forever to adjust the mask.

RIghtly or wrongly I am hoping that speeds my wls up by a few months!

Hiya hun, it should do, im awaiting on my results and that's delaying my WLS, I went for mine sleep test 2 weeks Monday and rang this week and was told they want to see me again in sleep clinic so think i too have apnea, just waiting for my appointment now, hope its soon as want my op asap x

I've had my CPAP since February and I am very used to it now. It did take a few weeks before I could sleep the majority of the night with it on, but it feels fine now.

Air blowing into your eyes is horrible and used to annoy me no end. I found the majority of the air came from the out-vent on the hose clip. What I do now which has vastly improved it, is to swing the hose clip and hose above my head and tuck the hose under the edge of my pillow behind my head. It seems to stay there all night and I don't get pulls or drags if I turn in the night and all the air blows away above my head.

You will have to return the cpap unit in a couple of weeks I am guessing where they will look at the stats and you will then get your own loan machine which will be set to the pressure you need.

Good luck, try and persevere as you will notice a big difference in energy levels over the next few days. :) Once you are established on cpap you will be seriously considered for wls.

Jen1961 said:
I've had my CPAP since February and I am very used to it now. It did take a few weeks before I could sleep the majority of the night with it on, but it feels fine now.

Air blowing into your eyes is horrible and used to annoy me no end. I found the majority of the air came from the out-vent on the hose clip. What I do now which has vastly improved it, is to swing the hose clip and hose above my head and tuck the hose under the edge of my pillow behind my head. It seems to stay there all night and I don't get pulls or drags if I turn in the night and all the air blows away above my head.

You will have to return the cpap unit in a couple of weeks I am guessing where they will look at the stats and you will then get your own loan machine which will be set to the pressure you need.

Good luck, try and persevere as you will notice a big difference in energy levels over the next few days. :)

Hi I had two different test still waiting and over 2 weeks they don't realise how these test affect us I would just tell me yes or no

thank you everyone.

I was fitted into the cpap clinic wes morning, they had a space free, and was told I'll get an appointment to go back in about two months with my machine.

It was mainly one eye that i felt the air in last night, but yes it was VERY annoying lol. Guess I wil get used to it and find a wayafter a short time. Might try your idea though, worth a go and it may well work for me :)

been a while but thought i would update.
I have FINALLY got used to my mask, tho i still hate it!! but now i cant sleep without it!

We had no electric the other night, and OMG I couldnt sleep!
The only issue now i have is a tickly feeling nose lol

omg i hate mine, we dont get along, but i am such a fussy sleeper, it does help me but i wake up dreaming and ripping it off, glad you have got used to it hunnie xx

I was referred for a sleep study before I was referred for WLS, as it was a problem I was having already.
I was only referred 3 months ago, had my first appointment 6 weeks ago. I went back for my results on wednesday,and wasnt suprised to be told I have sleep apnea.

Two nights on and i am not doing too bad. Oddly enough the first night was fine, but last night it irritated me no end, kept feeling air blowing around my eyes and took me forever to adjust the mask.

When are you back to see consultant and have you had gastroscopy yet? Now that you have sleep studies sorted it will get ball rolling.

I still HATE the mask, and still often rip it off in my sleep lolbut if i dont wear it i now cant sleep and wake up constantly.
Had to rea rrange clinci appointment as was poorly.

not has my gastroscopy yet, but looking like i need one anyway soon, being tested for celiac disease

janie32 said:
I still HATE the mask, and still often rip it off in my sleep lolbut if i dont wear it i now cant sleep and wake up constantly.

not has my gastroscopy yet, but looking like i need one anyway soon, being tested for celiac disease

Hi hate my tooooooooo

As long as you are now treated everything will be okay but you will need to bring cpap machne with you when you come into hospital for surgery.

Not certain but if you are diagnosed with coeliac disease that might pose a problem for surgery, once you know discuss with surgeon.

Hi Ladies.. Didn't want to read and run.. Reading your comments about your cpap's mirrored how I felt in the beginning.. trying to get used to it, the discomfort, the 'air puff'.. So I thought would give you my 2 penn'orth and experiences.. everyone is different am aware..

Please remember that the hose is meant to be unblocked as in free to 'hang' as it were to prevent the machine from not being able to allow the air through to your mask. I don't know which machines you have - mine is a Remstar Auto A-flex. Has an 'over the nose and mouth' mask, hose is connected level with mouth area. If you look - there should be a small 'stopper' to one side of the hose attachment on the front of the mask. Make sure it is SHUT!

This could be what is 'puffing' air towards your eyes.. it should be closed.

Also - try having your mouth slightly open as you put your mask on, adjust the straps around the bottom that run round the back or your head/nape of your neck area. You should have been shown how to do this when given your 'loan' machine in the beginning. It should be snug against your face, my mask is a gel mask with an outer 'ridge' as it were which is the 'seal' that keeps it from 'puffing' up towards my eyes or across my cheeks. If this happens - then it isn't sealed properly against my face.

I've had mine now for almost 2yrs and despite being told I have almost normal sleep pattern - I am still obliged to use it - they told me in the beginning that I had probably had O.S.A. for possibly as long as over 5yrs undiagnosed and this itself can weaken your heart. Your lungs needs oxygen to aerate your blood - the c.p.a.p. helps make sure your body has enough air (breath) going in and helps prevent your airways from closing whilst you sleep.

I too hated mine.. at times - I still do.. But please remember Ladies.. the only thing worse than waking with your mask on and the creases on your face in the morning.. is NOT waking up at all! (this happened to me 5 times, I stopped breathing correctly, heart rate dropped and all vitals were so low - my poor OH couldn't tell if he'd 'lost' me already.. I will point out though that this was 3 times before had my mask and machine.. and twice since being given it.. I'd been so tired I forgot my mask so fell asleep without it on and my poor OH was whiter than snow on a mountain-top when he finally roused me)

I assure you - this hasn't been meant to scare you witless.. merely me being blunt, honest and to the point. Hopefully - as the time goes on and you realise how much more energy you have, the discomfort of the mask at night - will be minimal - especially if you manage to get it 'set' correctly to fit your face so there is no more 'puffing'. Trust me ladies.. that ISN'T meant to be happening. The flow is meant to go into the mask only - NOT into your eyes or across your cheeks or down your chin. Sit and adjust the straps, turn on the machine and if you cannot feel what you had been - then it is now set correctly, turn off your machine until bedtime and enjoy your good nights rest :D

(and as that is now 2am in the morning - thats where I am now off to.. to bed..)

>>> gone... \o.. Niggghhhtttttttttt...

Thanks MAnds, found that really helpfull and encouraging.
I know i hate my mask, but i do wear it most nights, admit there are nights when i dont but that's been either due to a sickness bug and the mask was making me feel ill, when we had no electric or one night when I fell asleep in my armchair lol

Depsite me not liking it all, as i say, i now cant sleep without it on it. SOme nights it is fine, others it annoys me all night, i get dry eyes, dry nose, tickly nose, puffs in eyes, mask rubs my top lip etc.

I'll look at what machine I actually have, and check for that valve! I didnt get any instruction when I got my machine other than the nurse put the mask on me and said is that comfy, which it was for the 10 seconds i had it on, press this button to turn it on and off, and this changes the ramp time..... that was it!

THanks though, really appreiate that!!!!

My mask does help me, but can only tolerate it some nights, i wake up and have taken it off, it blows air on my face and eyes if i move, i must take it off cos of that, and i get dream like someone is trying to kill me (lol am mad) must be cos over my face. But every night I do try and just wish there was another method for us to use not feel like im going off into space !!!!

Becky - as said in previous post on here hunni - if it's 'puffing' air at any point on your face then it isn't fitted correctly. adjust the nose piece (usually 'lifts' a little and clicks into place) and adjust the straps for a more comfortable fit.

Please remember that it may feel comfortable whilst sat up - but that's not how you sleep!

So when you go to bed, get comfy, put the mask on, adjust it so feels comfy and doesn't 'slip', then turn on your machine. If you feel a 'puffing' - just slightly move the mask so it 'seals' on your face better. The longer each night you can tolerate it - the easier it will become to cope with. Yes its difficult in the beginning, yes it does take a lot of getting used to but please please - persevere. the benefits far outweigh the discomfort.. trust me!

Good luck to all getting used to this change.. it does get easier :) x x

If i have sleep aponea does it mean i can't have the gastric bypass, i was diagnosed years ago but cpap made me feel suffocated so they tried a gum shield type thing which pushed my jaw forward so the flap couldn't collapse but i kept gagging on that, now i just hope i wake up every morning :)

Angie - I was diagnosed with it as part of the routine tests they run during the process - and I was banded the following year. So yes - you can still have your surgery however they will expect you to take in your machine or whatever for use after the surgery.

O.S.A. is a serious health condition which is part of the associated problems with being overweight. Yes it is treatable. I had my review just 2wks ago and been told that my ranges are now either normal or just below. This is from having 58 hypopneas an hr, 64 apnoeas an hour and my oxygen saturation level was around 78% - which is too low and dangerous in itself - now am at 6 HPH, 2APH and 90% saturation. This is mainly due to the CPAP, the surgery helping me to lose excess weight - and regular use.

Please please Angie - don't play roulette with your life as you are by not using a CPAP which has been properly adjusted and you have had properly explained to you. It is way too serious to do that with.
Every night you go to bed without using whatever you have to help you - you are weakening your heart further and therefore adding more risks to your health - not to mention risking your family losing you instead of them having you around for a lot longer to share their lives!

I have a history of heart problems in my immediate family including strokes, heart attacks, arrhythmia. I have a brother with undiagnosed O.S.A. and am terrified every time I go to visit him - whether we're going to find he's gone :( He is so scared of getting a confirmed diagnosis - he won't ask for the testing.. You KNOW you have it.. there are different ways of coping with it, different ways of treating it. Please.. look into it again. Surely you owe it to yourself if not to your family.. Apologies if you think me blunt but I saw the terror in my darling OH face when he finally woke me after I had no mask, my body functions had dropped so low he didn't know if I'd gone or not..he couldn't find my pulse, couldn't feel a breath.. couldn't see me moving at all - he'd spent 12mins shoving me, nipping me, shouting me to try and wake me.. this was after the testing and before being given my mask my I add.. And I wouldn't like anyone to go through that. He's admitted even now whilst I use my mask - he wakes to make sure my machine is still turned on and that am still with him.

There are masks, nasal cannulas, the shield you mentioned - as well as surgery as last resort to help you.. I just hope you do make the time to find out a better solution than as you are right now hunni.. You're worth more than that..

Good luck, fingers crossed that you do find a way to help beat this..

(((( Hugs ))))/COLOR]

thank so much for the advice, i have now had several nights "puff" free :)

I found the keeping my mouth open while putting the mask on advice really does work! Honestly my top lip was getting so sore lol

The dry eyes are lessening too. :)

It really does take some getting used to, i did what you suggest and just tried to build up wearing it a little more each night, until i suddenly reaslied i had gone nearly all night wearing it.
I still have nights where i take it off at some point, but am wearing it nearly all night every night now :)

Back