• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My surgery experience 4 days ago !!

grom

Slim for 2009
Hi all
Thanks for all the messages! I can't promise a diary as I'm not that disciplined but I will do an extra long post and tell you my experiences so far!
I arrived at the Alex on morning of 27th Dec as directed and was soon shown to my nice en suite room. Somehow I had expected it to look a little less hospital like for some reason! I was told I was first on Mr Ammori's list and so there was a flurry of activity getting me ready and I didn't have time to start worrying! I was weighed (7 kilos off - the milk diet was so worth it!!) and dressed in my lovely gown and blue stockings which I was dismayed to hear had to stay on for two weeks!! HOW COME NO ONE MENTIONED THE STOCKINGS BEFORE!!!!
I was talked through the procedure again by one of the nurses and then visited by the anaesthetist. He was lovely and went thro my medical history and did hearts and lungs and stuff. He told me I was looking radiant and was in great shape - one of the best he had ever seen. OK so he says that to all the girls but it gave me confidence.
Next was the lovely Basil who talked me through things again, checked for final questions and got me to sign the consent form - all very theatrical!! before I knew it I was walking down to the operating theatre.
I was greeted with 'hey here's my radiant lady' which made me laugh and there was a great atmosphere to relax me. I was dreading the needle in my hand more than anything as my veins are really narrow and hard to find and everyone always struggles. The oxygen mask went on - and It was the only time I was a little bit scared but I just thought of you guys and all your positive vibes. I can honestly say the only thing that has really hurt was the anaesthetic going in but it was momentary as I was soon unconscious!

I came round in my room again and was really groggy and found it hard to keep my eyes open. I have never been in hospital before so I was a bit freaked out to find I had an oxygen mask, morphine drip and weird pump things on my legs! I was assured it was all normal and standard procedure and someone had probably told me before but I didn't listen! I was given a little cup of water to sip as my mouth was very dry. The nurse was very concerned that I wasn't using my morphine but I had no pain!

I have a tendency to low blood pressure so my blood pressure was taken every hour for the rest of the day and through the night. I drifted in and out of sleep and managed to keep my eyes open for a bit when hubby came and I unwrapped my gift of a big fluffy dog which I name Basil after the surgeon. I vaguely remember the real Basil popping in too to give me the thumbs up and to say all had gone well.

I woke up at one point when the nurses were in my room and felt something wet on my hand. The drip had come out of my hand and my gown and sheets and bed were soaked in blood! I was too groggy to worry about it and was since told it took four different people to try to find a vein to put it back in again!

By the morning I was feeling much more awake and the day shift got me up to go for a wee, have a wash and change into my own clothes which was a great relief! I then sat in my chair sipping a lovely cuppa and reading! I asked the nurses about going home and they said as long as Basil was ok with it, they were, as there was nothing else they needed to do. They said I had to give myself injenctions in my tummy for five days and showed me how to do it and went through the medication I would take home.

Basil popped in again mid morning with sister and I introduced him to his namesake - he was very amused. He said I was in good shape and was happy for me to go home and gave me his mobile number in case of any more questions.

Lunch time was a disappoinment!I was told I could have half a cup of clear soup but when it came it had huge globs of fat floating on the top so I didn't touch it. I then asked for a nice cup of coffee but got some evil brew that had been on the go all night by the taste of it, so stuck to my water!

Hubby came for me and after a final run thro of diet, medication, wound care etc I was home for 4pm. My plan was to have a milky drink and then go back to bed for some much needed sleep. Bad move. I wasn't ready for milk and kept being sick and felt very sorry for myself all night! Next day (Monday) I stuck to clear liquids (mmm watered down cranberry juice is a fave now) and felt much better.

By tuesday I was able to wash my hair and have a shower. i was able to have chocolate complan and some soup I had made previously. At this stage I am more concerned about healing my body than anythign else so I am trying to stick to good wholesome nutritious food. I was even able to manage a little wander arouns Tesco with hubby and got some nice fruit teas, rice milk and kids smoothies!

Today, Weds, my lovely brother has booked luxury reclining seats at the Lowry cinema to see Australia so I am having my first outing!!

So guys, I hope that gives you a flavour of my experience and if anyone wants to ask anything - please fire away!

I had a sneaky go on the scales earlier. I was 20 stone before the milk diet on 15th Dec. I am now 18 st 9lbs already.

And you know what, I'm sure Basil has given me a sneaky nip 'n' tuck as my waist is loads smaller - my pre op PJs won't stay up now!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE AND THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME DO THIS XXXX

Great story Grom, thanks for sharing! The drip would have freaked me out :eek:

Hi Grom. Thanks for sharing. It always fun to see how different things are for people. I hated my stupid stockings but I wore the darn things for the entire 2 weeks! Glad you are doing so well, 2 outings just days after surgery!!! Good for you! I loved my morphine drip unlike Shel who hates needles...

Happy New Year dear.

Nic:D

Hi Grom, glad to hear that your surgery went well and I wish you a speedy recovery. Did you go private for your op?

Thanks for sharing your story hun, you're doing so well.Have a fab time tonight :D:D
Ps tried to Pm you back but your box is full:8855::8855:

wow...what a great experience...i was not going to read your story incase it freaked me out as my surgery is just 2 weeks away...but i decided to and was glad i did, as apart from the drip coming out and the mistake with the milky drink it all sounds like a positive experience! you are so lucky to spend such a short time in hosp as i have been told that i am having my op on wed am and not coming home til sat am...i wish i was just doing one night as i have been in hosp a few times and it is so boring! anyway, back to you...good luck and heres to a new you in the new year...good luck!xxx

Well done Grom glad to see everything went well for you, he really is very good isn't he ! the soup they gave you is called consume - and yep its horrible.

Welcome to the loosing side :D

Good read Grom, glad it all went well......it really is quite painless for some I never needed my morphine drip once....well done on the weight already gone and I look forward to reading about your progress...x

Hi Grom, glad to hear that your surgery went well and I wish you a speedy recovery. Did you go private for your op?

Yes I did - went with Surgicare who seem to be very good so far!

wow...what a great experience...i was not going to read your story incase it freaked me out as my surgery is just 2 weeks away...but i decided to and was glad i did, as apart from the drip coming out and the mistake with the milky drink it all sounds like a positive experience! you are so lucky to spend such a short time in hosp as i have been told that i am having my op on wed am and not coming home til sat am...i wish i was just doing one night as i have been in hosp a few times and it is so boring! anyway, back to you...good luck and heres to a new you in the new year...good luck!xxx

Hi Mermaid - glad it helped! And don't worry about the drip thing, I have really naff veins and just taking a blood sample from me is a nightmare so I'm sure it was not due to anyone's errors. I was initially told two nights but came home early so you never know. I'm lucky in that i don't have any other problems such as diabetes etc but I guess everyone is different. Just view it as a nice rest! You can walk about the hospital and don't have to stay in your room all the time.
:4635:

Well done Grom glad to see everything went well for you, he really is very good isn't he ! the soup they gave you is called consume - and yep its horrible.

Welcome to the loosing side :D
Thanks Matey!
It was like no consomme I have ever seen! I was a bit disappointed that they weren't a bit more geared up to nutritional requirements as I'm guessing all that fat could have been pretty bad for me so soon after my op! A little guy kept coming in and asking for my food orders too!
Ah well - food isn't that important now is it??
xx

Thanks Matey!
It was like no consomme I have ever seen! I was a bit disappointed that they weren't a bit more geared up to nutritional requirements as I'm guessing all that fat could have been pretty bad for me so soon after my op! A little guy kept coming in and asking for my food orders too!
Ah well - food isn't that important now is it??
xx

Did you notice they have an alcoholic bar list on the menu :D lol - to be honest i didn't really want to eat anything and just had a constant supply of juice and tea brought in, though i did have a rather nice lime jelly, which i ate rather to much of and experienced my first 'brick in chest' feeling :eek:

Like yourself i had really no pain at all, even the trapped wind feeling wasn't half as bad as i was expecting, i didn't have morphine either, they put me on an ibuprophine drip instead as my respiritory rate slowed down and as morphine slows down your respiration they decided against it. I was in for two nights, the first of which was in ICU as a precaution due to my respiratory issues, but that was ok as it meant i had a nurse with me all night.

Glad you doing so well Grom and welcome to the Basil Ammori fan club.

congrats Grom, well wishes coming at you from me and hoping you have a speedy recovery and we can chat if you come to the Preston meet x x x

Fantastic to see that everything went so well for you and well done on your fantastic weight loss to date. Enjoy a smaller 2009 and be proud, you deserve it

Alia

So glad to hear your story, it sounds actually quite pleasant-Im starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me! And the whole not having morphine thing..if it's on offer Im keen-again I think I may need physcological help in these area's!LOL
No really, Im so please it wasn't a traumatic experience for you and selfishly just want my op date through, you're right though, I will see it as a rest from my 23mnth old!
Keep up the positive attitude and you will be a winner all the way Grom!

Sxxxxx

thanks for sharing your story Grom. Sounds like a really positive experience and congrats on the weight loss so far, you must be over the moon.

Can I ask a stupid question, are you feeling hungry at all?

hi grom you sound like a text book case as basil told me. i too didnt need the morphine and only had 1 night in hospital.

sam even now 7 weeks on i have only felt hungry once.

That is a great story well done. Glad it went smoothly except the soup. Thats the least of your worries after wls. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I am a member of the Basil Ammori fan club too.

Take Care R x

Back