• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My surgery experience 4 days ago !!

Recovery still going well.
Had a lovely day today. Went for a facial first and then went to spend some Christmas money and vouchers. I got a mac from M&S (size 18 - doesn't quite fasten but why buy a bigger one??) and a gorgeous brown diamond ring. Then off to Surgicare to have my dressings removed and home for a lovely long soak in the bath! Who needs food???

So very pleased for you that you are doing so well. Is it better than you expected??

Hope so!:D:D:D

Yay...I've found you :D (been looking for the other thread to be updated d'oh! :rolleyes:)

So glad all went well - I did think of you on the 27th. Onwards and downwards now eh?? :D :D

Thanks Kate! All seems to be going well!! Thanks for your thoughts xx

So very pleased for you that you are doing so well. Is it better than you expected??

Hope so!:D:D:D
Thanks PG. I know it's early day but yes so far much better.
I expected the op to have been a much bigger deal as I've never been in hospital before, and I expected to be more of an 'invalid' afterwards. Hubby keeps saying I am doing too much, but I feel great and I do rest when I feel tired.
Again early days, but the whole food thing has susprised me too. It really helped having to do the liquid diet pre op as i'm now on week 4 of liquids and not craving solids at all. I'm sure that will come but considering how much timeI used to spend thinking about/eating food it's ....... well it's WEIRD!!
Lastly I'm susrprised by the weight loss! DURR! Sounds daft but like so many on here I have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and Christmas would normally leave me ten ounds heavier! I'm more concerned about healing my body than losing weight at the mo and yet nearly two stone has disappeared since mid december. It would have normally taken 12 months to lose that!!

Milk diet ?

Hi Grom, good to see you are doing so well. What is the Milk diet ? I am having my opp on 24th of this month at Spire Hospital Manchester with Mr Ammori, although with Christmas etc I have not seen the dietician or nurse yet. Ta very glad Dale

Hi Grom, good to see you are doing so well. What is the Milk diet ? I am having my opp on 24th of this month at Spire Hospital Manchester with Mr Ammori, although with Christmas etc I have not seen the dietician or nurse yet. Ta very glad Dale

Milk diet is the liver shrinking diet. you have 2 pints of s/skimmed milk a day, an oxo drink and 2 yoghurts. I had Mr A 2. he is great. good luck for your op. I kno ur in good hands with Mr A x

The liver diet I have been told to follow is
Breakfast Sm bowl cereal, or 1 toast with a scraping of low fat spread

Lunch 1 bread or 2 crispbread
Sm portion meat (50g) or fish, or cheese, or 2 eggs (not fried)

Dinner Sm meat or fish, or sm cheese, 2eggs of tofu/quorn based dish
1 sm potato or 2 table spoons rise or pasta
Veg (as much as you like except for root veg)

Daily 1/3 Pt milk for drinks or cereal
2 portions fruit
free water, tea, coffee, low cal squash or fizzy drinks
1 low fat, low sugar yogurt or fromage frais

Is the milk diet after this one ?

Thanks Dale

The liver diet I have been told to follow is
Breakfast Sm bowl cereal, or 1 toast with a scraping of low fat spread

Lunch 1 bread or 2 crispbread
Sm portion meat (50g) or fish, or cheese, or 2 eggs (not fried)

Dinner Sm meat or fish, or sm cheese, 2eggs of tofu/quorn based dish
1 sm potato or 2 table spoons rise or pasta
Veg (as much as you like except for root veg)

Daily 1/3 Pt milk for drinks or cereal
2 portions fruit
free water, tea, coffee, low cal squash or fizzy drinks
1 low fat, low sugar yogurt or fromage frais

Is the milk diet after this one ?

Thanks Dale

Hiya
I think different people are given different diets depending on their personal circumstances. The purpose of a low calorie pre op diet is to make the liver use up its stores of glycogen so making it smaller and 'floppier' and easier for the surgeon to move about. (Apparently your liver is a HUGE organ!)
The diet I was given was 3 pints of milk daily plus 2 yoghurts (can swap one pint of milk for Slimfast) but you have obviously been given a different pre op diet so you won't get the milk diet as well.
I think any low cal diet does the job so just follow what you have been asked to do (to the letter!) and you will be fine. Yours sounds much better than the milk diet!!
Hope this helps!

I thought I was missing out on something, the diet I have been given does sound better than just Milk.

Ta very glad Dale

I thought I was missing out on something, the diet I have been given does sound better than just Milk.

Ta very glad Dale

Believe me you are NOT missing out!!!

LOL i must be weird as i have enjoyed the milk/yoghurt diet to some exetent other then the few days of not having any energy i have been fine, not even craved food.... anyone else experienced this on it?

Could this be because i had already started dieting back in october?

Just been catching up on your thread Grom and your doing really well, it all goes by so quick....hope you can make the meet later on this month...xx

LOL i must be weird as i have enjoyed the milk/yoghurt diet to some exetent other then the few days of not having any energy i have been fine, not even craved food.... anyone else experienced this on it?

Could this be because i had already started dieting back in october?

I quite liked it too as it meant I didn't have to make any decisions about what/how much I could eat! I too felt great on it and even stuck to it all over Xmas!

Just been catching up on your thread Grom and your doing really well, it all goes by so quick....hope you can make the meet later on this month...xx

Thanks CG!
Your weight loss is looking great!!

YIPPEE

Have just taken my dog for a walk for first time since op!!

:snoopyhouse::snoopyhouse:

grom you are doing brilliant. rest whwn yr body tells you to and make sure you get yr protiens in. I personally think doing the milk diet is a great preperation for post op as you asr then used to the fluids.
take care hc

I agree! I can't believe I've been on fluids for a month now! However I am starting to struggle with slimfast and complan as they are starting to make mw feel a bit queasy now - good job it's puree tomorrow!! I'm really excited about working out my menus and making sure I eat lots of healthy stuff - sad or what??

Back