• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My update - Bypass on Monday

paddyp

all done and dusted bypass

Well got done on Monday. all went well. spent 1 night in hdu and 1 on the ward. can't say.I am having pain. just discomfort but actually feel fine. had a cup of tea which was lush. all in all I am surprised at how I feel. home today whoopiee. x

Brill news glad to hear your doing so well!

Fantastic. Really pleased everything has gone so well. You are now officially a loser - in the nicest possible way :-D. Xxx

Glad you are feeling well :)

YAY! Glad all okay. Safe journey home x

Fantastic news paddyp. So glad to hear that you are home now and that you safely made it to the losers bench. Rest up hun and heal well :) x

So glad it all went well, have been waiting for your update, l,m doing well,sleep a lot and trying to get enough fluids in, but so far today have not taken any pain killers.As you say just sometimes a bit uncomfortable. Had my first shower last night which was lovely.
Helen Xx

Congrats and I'll be having mine next Tuesday hearing your words brings me comfort knowing its not as painful as it sounds!! Thanks for sharing your story and Good Luck with your journey!!

Well got done on Monday. all went well. spent 1 night in hdu and 1 on the ward. can't say.I am having pain. just discomfort but actually feel fine. had a cup of tea which was lush. all in all I am surprised at how I feel. home today whoopiee. x
Congrats and I'll be having mine next Tuesday hearing your words brings me comfort knowing its not as painful as it sounds!! Thanks for sharing your story and Good Luck with your journey!!

So glad it all went well. Exciting times ahead now!:)

Yaaaay! Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life (and its going to an amazing journey).

So glad all went well... I was just relieved when mine was done, all the waiting, worrying and Pre-Op being over... Quite a relief. Rest up now and hope the pain is bearable. X

Glad all is well :)

Well it's now Thursday and I came out of hospital yesterday so stayed two nights. I am writing an update of how the whole experience was and if it helps someone then all well and good.

After two miserable weeks of the pre op diet which I found unbelievably difficult and came very close to packing up several times, it was the day before surgery on the Sunday and suddenly all the stress of the pre op lifted and I didn't fancy anything to eat (ever again lol).

I didn't sleep well on the Sunday night and that was sort of intentional as I never sleep well in hospitals so thought if I make sure I am really tired then once the op is over I should be able to sleep ok.

Arrived at Taunton at 7.30am and had to walk about a mile to the surgical admissions lounge as the directions to which entrance were rubbish. Almost as soon as I arrived the tests started. Had bloods, blood pressure,blood sugars etc checked then went back to the waiting room where there were lots of people waiting for various ops I presume. I checked and was told I would be going down 2nd.

Shortly after the tests, I was called in by the surgeons registrar who was really lovely and put my mind at rest. He ran through all the questions they needed to know about my general health and other conditions and then explained what would happen during the op. After him I saw the aneastatist who was also really lovely and ran through how it would work, and told me that I would walk into theatre and get on the table (had my first wobble at that point). Then the surgeon came in and he was even lovelier (spot the theme here) and he examined me and said as I have a large hernia it may be that he might have to do a sleeve or band. I said I really was ok with a sleeve but would be upset if I ended up with a band and he said he would do his best. I was weighed and didn't think to ask exactly how much I had lost but they were very pleased with the figure.

Then I returned to the lounge and waited for my turn to come around. The nurse came and asked me to change into the gown as they would be ready for me shortly and then before I knew it another theatre nurse arrived and walked me down to the theatre. I felt my heart pounding as this was the end of a very emotional two year journey for me and whilst I was desperate for the op, I was nervous for the future.

Well everything changed when I got to the operating theatre. I absolutely bloody hated it. It was all shiny and bright and I felt like I was walking into a torture chamber. I almost had to be dragged in lol. Then I had to climb on the operating table which is at an angle of about 30 degrees which felt even more bizarre and for some reason this set off a massive panic attack and I behaved like a stupid spoiled scared child:eek: Moments later I was sedated and then embarrassed myself further telling the team how handsome they all were and the next thing I was in recovery. The first thing I remember is the surgeon coming to give me the thumbs up and say he managed to do the bypass so I was flipping delighted. I think my first words were "was my liver shrunk enough" and he said it was soft but large so it hadn't caused any problems.

Shortly after I was transferred to HDU. Not sure exactly why but I wasn't complaining as they treated me amazingly well in there. I was out on the comode in the night and peed gallons and was closely monitored. I felt sick and they gave me a drug which really didn't agree with me and I started to panic again and then they gave me something else which remedied that so that episode was short lived.

Mr Noble the surgeon came to see me in the morning and I was sitting in a chair with my knickers round my ankles which was a nice surprise!!! He said I was looking really well and he was really pleased with how it all went. Later that afternoon I was transferred to ward 1 and settled in well there. On Wednesday morning I got up and showered and felt able to walk around freely without any real pain which was a bit confusing and I started to doubt I had had the surgery at all but I definately have. My Noble came back and said I could go home once the discharge docs were done and I left around 2.30pm.

Would I do it again - would I ever! It was very straightforward, the team were amazing and supportive and I had and have every confidence that they have done a good job.

So this is it. A new life on the horizon. I am not making plans for the future, I will see what it brings to me and I will embrace every opportunity that comes my way that I have previously declined due to the restrictions of my weight. I am very glad I took this path and hope I get to enjoy some good things in life that aren't all about food.

Thanks for reading

S
x

Back