• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

nasty comments

happy days

hi
Just wondering if anyone has suffered from peoples *****y remarks ie its ok for you,you had a bypass or you havnt done it the hard way :rolleyes:

I haven't had my Op yet but when I do. If any pea brained Morons make that comment I shall look them straight in the eye and say.
1, Yup your right it was OK for me I was fortunate to have a Sleeve/Bypass/Band
2, What's your point?
3, Oh yeah I actually don't care what you think as it's my body and my life!
4, repeat 3 as often as necessary

You could of course cut straight to point 3 but it's less fun. People who make these sort of remarks have no idea of what we go through, and unfortunately no matter how hard you try to explain it to them they will never understand.
Ignore them they really aren't worth the effort

yes yes yes but i told a group of people that if i heard again from anyone that i had done it the easy way they should go and do it too and then i told them all the details of the horrid journey i have had and how its not the easy option as the person who has said it alot was in that group , i think by telling people abit about what it does entail actually helps them understand and hopefully stop judging us to harshly x

I just cant understand why people cant be just happy for you,ive been overweight from being a child and finally i feel like iam going to have the chance at a fun filled life. I almost feel that i used to be some peoples security blanket they used me as there comfort zone knowing that i would allways be the biggest ,heaviest etc.

I think so many people think WLS is the easy option. I'm sure many of you on here would agree that it really isn't. The first 2-3 weeks were horrendous for me. I'd challenge any of the opinionated people out there to go through what I went through themselves, and then still tell me it's easy!!

I've not had the op yet, but already had the comments. I was at a stone lost when my Aunt commented 'She's only lost a stone, but you'd think she's lost 5 the way she goes on'..
Or 'You're not having surgery are you? Why not just diet and join a gym..?' My response was 'Oh, do you know, I never thought of that!'
I think some people just feel like they have a right to comment on EVERYTHING! Well no-one wants to hear it...!

Easy?,,I dont think anyone in their right mind would delibratly get obese and go for w/l surgery because its easy option,,,,putting our selves at risk from surgery?having parts of our insides removed,risks of infection,hair loss,the pain before ,during and im sure after,,, .having over 2 years of waiting, needles , endoscopes,,gall stones ,investigations,,,,tests,,,,the pain of writing letters to our partners loved ones and children,just incase we dont wake up ....the hurt we feel trying to explain why we need this while our kids beg us not too? , the look on our loved ones faces every time they catch us crying because we feel so desperate? ,,,,thats without the shame and embarressment we feel at our biggest,,,,and the fear that after its all done we may become different people ,,,,thats easy is it?....i stopped caring a very long time ago ,about what strangers think of me ,so it really dont matter what people think or say ,i live my life for me and mine ,no one else,,but to be that stupid ,they think its an easy option just shows how very stupid and sad people can be . x.

starr said:
Easy?,,I dont think anyone in their right mind would delibratly get obese and go for w/l surgery because its easy option,,,,putting our selves at risk from surgery?having parts of our insides removed,risks of infection,hair loss,the pain before ,during and im sure after,,, .having over 2 years of waiting, needles , endoscopes,,gall stones ,investigations,,,,tests,,,,the pain of writing letters to our partners loved ones and children,just incase we dont wake up ....the hurt we feel trying to explain why we need this while our kids beg us not too? , the look on our loved ones faces every time they catch us crying because we feel so desperate? ,,,,thats without the shame and embarressment we feel at our biggest,,,,and the fear that after its all done we may become different people ,,,,thats easy is it?....i stopped caring a very long time ago ,about what strangers think of me ,so it really dont matter what people think or say ,i live my life for me and mine ,no one else,,but to be that stupid ,they think its an easy option just shows how very stupid and sad people can be . x.

I think Starr that people really do think it's the easy way out! But they're so wrong!! I totally agree with everything you've said xx

I have had a relatively easy journey. No pain or complications so far. Superb weight loss so far. I could not be happier. Nobody has said to my face that surgery is the easy option. But if they did I would ask them if they thought the same about a smoker who uses nicotine patches to stop smoking or a heroin addict who goes to rehab to come clean. We are all just using tools to help ourselves and improve our health, but the hard work is on us. If I didn't eat the right things I wouldn't lose the weight. It's really that simple.

I think I'm going to carry the leaflet of the op process with me, complete with diagrams lol. Ask them how they'd fancy such a process and how "easy" they think it is lol.

Don't care, not listening:):)

Oh dear !!! it is very sad but very true that in all walks of life if someone is perceived as taking an EASY way out, the knockers will come out of the woodwork big style.:mad: It is not just WLS people who suffer from this, but anyone who achieves things using a tool to help them. I think people in the UK are noted for knocking people down when they do well for themselves in any area. We have mostly had years of abuse of one type or another so I personally will just accept that not everyone will be happy for me :sigh: & get on with MY life with the people who love me irrespective of my weight. :) Confrontation is not my style & I do not feel I need to justify myself anyway, I just count my blessings & realise I am being given a gift, a new start & whatever anyone else thinks or says, they will not stop me making the most of it. :D

people fear change from the norm its taken ten years to get here i have been in hospital im on pills that i dont need to be at my age i get called names by kids who dont know me i might be fat but im human

That's the worst thing ever bigun when total strangers kids and adults think they have the right to comment about you. I was once at a karaoke and was called a daft fat cow. Why couldn't I be just a daft cow. People are so viscous

some kids just say thing i know they dont mean there young but so kids just remark and i know there being rude im not a shamed of my size i dont go out shopping cinema or out for meals because i know some one will say something and it up sets the wife

I'm looking forward to going back to work for the new term with some trepidation. There are many of my colleagues who will be positive & pleasant. Some inevitably will be less so and others have said that's their problem not mine. My main fear is the kids, some I teach or support are less inhibited than others & will be direct others just snigger & whisper as I go by they did while I was big so the shinking me is bound to cause a few comments. On the whole I can deal with them I hope just some days as we all know are better than others & somedays the barbs hit home & burrow deep & we all know kids can be cruel.
I have at least one colleague who has said in the past "well you've chosen to have this done," so no doubt her foot in mouth approach will continue.
Despite my job standing in front of a class I tend to struggle when I'm to centre of attention but I hope it will be a 5minute wonder.

its the ignorance of some people, another good comment that i always couldnt understand was "you arent big enough to need the op" well the doctor and the NICE/WHO guidelines seem to think i was as i met the criteria under the NHS....seems everyone needs to voice their opinions regardless of how narrow minded they may be...

Back