• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need advice on surgery types

Monsoon

Loving LT!!!
Hi guys,
i used to post on this site years ago, i did lipotrim and lost 10 stone in 6 months, in the last 4 years I have now gained 13 stone. I was refered for bariatric surgery 2 1/2 years ago and have just recieved funding. I had my pre op assessment on tuesday and am now on the waiting list (approx 4 onths) I have been told to choose which surgey I would like, I really do not know what to do part from I know I do not want the band, can any one offer any avice? :sigh:

So do you want to lose the 13 stone you put on, more or less than that?

We can tell you what we had and why but really you need to research or seek further advice from a professional.

What would work best would depend on what kind of eater you are, however all options will require some effort and committment.

Good luck! x

Yes, 13 stone (ish), at my pre op the consultant said it was up to me! i have tried researching but cant seem to get any decent advice, i came on here as everyone was so helpful before. I definately have a problem with bingeing and large portions.

Hi My hospital wouldn't do bands anymore (although there are loads if sucessful banders on this site). So it was either a sleeve or bypass. I wanted a sleeve but the surgeon opted for a bypass in view of acid damage. 3 weeks out and I feel fine.
Try and see if there are any support groups you could goto in advance if your surgery or ask to see the bariatric nurse for guidance, it should be a clinician making the decision really.

Well that's exactly what I thought, he's the surgeon for Gods sake!! Really don't want to make an irreversible mistake! Have tried looking for advice sites, can't seem to find any - can anyone recommend any?

He may be suggesting that you research which op is best for you, so that they know you are better prepared for what surgery involves. When I had my MDT, there were two ladies that had their decisions delayed because the team felt they were not sufficiently informed.

I agree with others, it seems your choice may be between the bypass or the sleeve. If you have a weakness for sweet stuff, a bypass may be better. For me that was one of the driving reasons for choosing the bypass. I also didn't like the idea of having part of my stomach removed. The trade off however is an increased risk of deficiencies.

However, I would say have a good read about each procedure, see what you think, and then ask as many questions as you need.

I'm three and a half weeks out, and I walked 5 miles today.

A deciding factor for me was having type 2 diabetes. On paper I would possibly be better suited to a sleeve, but my surgeon recommended gastric bypass.
If you do have diabetes 2 the is a very good chance it can be completely reversed.
There's a wealth of experience here from people in the same boat as yourself, to those with many years post op experiences.

Back