• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous and new!!

newday

Hi All!

So I'm new! I have my gastric bypass surgery scheduled for 11th July. I'm very nervous and still figuring out if I'm doing the right thing. Not sure if I can handle the pre-op diet. IT LOOKS BRUTAL. I'm worried about the whole op and aftermath but excited about the results.
Any advice.....or maybey a hug???!

Newday x

Hello and welcome to the site, as you can see i am still waiting to do my pre op so can not help you there, but someone will be along soon to help you. xx

Hi. Just think, however brutal your pre op diet is, whatever you lose when on it won't be coming back! How cool is that compared to any other diet you have done?

Best of luck.

Last edited:
P.S. you look to be with a PCT area that are very progressive with their attitude with funding and procedures with your BMI being less than 35. Good for you.

Did you have many hoops to jump through before the funding was agreed?

Hi, I'm 2 and a half years post op now. and let me tell you now that you have nothing to worry about. everything will be fine and a year from now you will have sheaded so much weight and be living a new and happy thinner life. I have lost half my body weight and I'm the healthiest and fittest that I have ever been in my life. yes the pre-op diet is brutal. mine was the Cup-a-Soup diet. nothing but cup a soup for 2 weeks, but I just kept telling myself that it was worth it, and is soooo was. plus I lost a stone on the pre op diet in 2 weeks, so it was a bonus.
Think positive hun and good luck. x;)

I had the low cal diet...prob the best pre op diet ive seen on this forum as some just get liquid diets...but no matter which diet u get its how u handle it...frame of mind knowing wats at the end of the diet is enough to see u through it...cliche but its all worth it in the end

Thanks evey one! Overwhelmed by the support. I'm at work at my desk sneezing a look-in at the forum. Haven't told anyone at work. Don't think I want to. Can't deal with the DRAMA that comes with the disclosure! Lol.

Yes, my BMI is quite low but I'm a type two diabetic on insulin and victoza. However, My body is resisting despite using Actoza and gliclazide. As those of you who are diabetic out there knows, I'm am trapped In a vicious and unforgiving circle as the insulin makes You put on weight even though you hardly eat trying to lose the weight. As many of you I had tried every diet on the planet. Some weight was lost but some came back on.
At my heaviest, I was 26 stones.
Bypass surgery never entered my mind until my diabetes consultant suggested it! 6 month later, I'm due to have the op with the goal of becoming insulin free or even cured of diabetes and prolonging my life for my six year old son.

I hear from you all that it will be worth it but still so so So nervous!

X

Thanks everyone. Really grateful for the supportive responses.

I tried to sneak this post earlier whilst at work but it didn’t load. I hope it is posted this time around. I haven’t told anyone at work and not sure if I’m going to…..

Yes, my BMI is on the lower side for people who are considered for the bypass surgery.

I am a type 2 diabetic.

I am on insulin and a case load of other medication. As other diabetics on the forum understands, being on insulin is a vicious and unforgiving circle. The insulin increases your weight whilst you try and loose the weight. My heaviest weight was 26 stone!

To top it all, my body started to resist the insulin.

I had never considered bypass surgery but on a visit to my diabetic consultant he suggested the same and referred me to the Chelsea and Westminister Hospital and 7 months later, my op is due.

It is hoped that not only will I benefit from losing A LOT of dress sizes, but I will no longer be dependent on insulin and possibly discharged from diabetic care all together.

My main aim is to prolong my life so that I can be around for my 6 year old son.

I know everyone is saying that it will be worth it in the end but I am nervous and scared of the operation and if I am able to deal with the aftermath.

x

:welcome:

My op is on Saturday and I'm 4 days into the milk diet and I couldn't be happier. I know exactly what I can and can't have so it's really easy. I had a headache for the first few days but that's passed now and I'm just so excited for my op.

Just keep the goal in mind and I'm sure you'll do fine - it will all be worth it in the end x

Best of luck newday! I'm a pre-opper so no help on the info front but just thing of the long term positive of your weight loss after surgery to get you through the diet - it'll be well worth it :) Big hug I can give you though!;)

Hi all, I have my pre-op appt with the surgeon tomorrow. Does anyone know what the appt entails? My op is on the 11th July. Xxx

Yes blood pressure check, swabs for MRSA, blood taken, sometimes hearttrace, talk through all the things you want to know and she;l explain bout what happens after the op xx

chrisa said:
Yes blood pressure check, swabs for MRSA, blood taken, sometimes hearttrace, talk through all the things you want to know and she;l explain bout what happens after the op xx

Thanks Chrisa. That sounds like pre-op assessment. I think my appt tomorrow is with the surgeon. Apparently he sees patients again just before the op but not sure what he is gpnna ask or discuss. X

Well may be its just to go through what the whole op entails then n what other things can happen, if they can.t do it key hole they have to convert to open procedure etc. xx

chrisa said:
Well may be its just to go through what the whole op entails then n what other things can happen, if they can.t do it key hole they have to convert to open procedure etc. xx

Nooooooo! Dreading that possibility!!!!! I'm wondering about the intensity of the pain after the op and the recovery time. I'm really not good with pain. X

if they manage to do it key hole the recovery is much quicker, wind pain is the worst, but after a week you feel human again still take it easy but stay active, and hydrated, thats really only the 1st couple of days though. its fine honestly, well worth it especially with bthe hope of coming off the insulin. xx

Hi. Had my appointment with surgeon. It was a chat to see how I'm feeling about the whole thing. He wanted to answer any last questions I may have had and to explain the procedure and after care. It was quite a good session actually. He spent a lot of time discussing and alleviating my anxieties. I'm impressed! So I'm on the countdown now....... 3 weeks to go!!!! Xxxx

Back