• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and Nervous

fayz

Hi all

Feeling inspired to post an introduction after contributing to the wonderfully upliftiting thread about what we're looking forward to most. I'm 43 years old 5ft tall and have a bmi of 53. Have always been an overweight adult and battled to keep my weight under 20st after being diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago. It's starting to sneak up to this again though and my mobility is also starting to be affected. I don't want to age too early. I want to live life to the full and try new things. I had a band 12 years ago unfortunately it didn't work for me i was offered a bypass at the time but refused as it just felt too drastic. It's taken 12 years for me to accept I can't do this without drastic action and so I'm going for a private consultation on Monday with the surgeon who performed my original band on the NHS. This feels like a massive step for me and I'm terrified. Terrified of dying, of being so messed up inside that they can't complete the procedure and of sabotaging the process by eating too much and stretching the pouch. Any reassurance you can give would be appreciated. Roll on Monday!

hiya Fayz, I haven't had my wls but had to stop by and say hi! I know you will find the lovely people on this site inspirational and truly supportive xx

Hi fayz I'm booked in for my bypass on 26.6 nervous but excited too I have to go for camera on 23.5 hopefully all will be ok let me know how u get on xx

Thanks both it'll be great to follow your journeys too and know that others understand what I'm feeling. Will let you know how I get on Monday

hiya Fayz, im new to this as well and has my pre assessment op yesterday. I felt so overwhelmed and nervous but after seeing everyone else there and the professionals it has put my mind at rest. Have u had your pre assessment yet.
I am also very nervous and scared as how to change my diet and try not to put weight on from now as i am waiting for a date now for surgery, they reckon it will be 4-6month time so i have to be careful with food and change my diet. What diet has eberyone else done to help lose weight before the surgery.

The hardest is losing the weight and keeping it of i lost 21kg from seminar to getting my bypas date I used an app on my phone called my fitness pal it's brilliant good luck ladies

i was thinking slimming world but then it doesnt help with portion control, and i just want to try and change my eating habits abit now before the op as i know ill find it hard. My mobility is limited as well but i am thinking of maybe aqua areobics

Hi Donna, well done on going through with pre-op. every step is a step closer. I'm sure 4-6 months will fly but I've got to admit I'm hoping that ill be able to get mine a lot quicker even though ive not had the preop and dont even know if ill be accepted yet! I'm trying my best to eat similar foods to those ill be eating after the op and so am doing low cal, high protein, low carbs. I'm also using the app Julie mentioned, it's great at keeping a track of all these elements as long as you put in what you've eaten of course.

Well done Julie on the brilliant weight loss - I agree the app is brill. Have only lost 7lbs but its all a step nearer

I followed a high protein low carb diet for about 9 months and lost 39Kg.
It's not for everyone and usually it needs to be monitored by your doctor/dietician.

Hi Fayz I am booked in for Gastric Band on the 9th June. Welcome to the boards and lots of luck with your appointments xx

Hi i follow weight watchers , but prefer slimming world but as you say it doesn't help with portion control.
good luck, im seeing my surgeon next Wednesday and im hoping to get my date and im scared and excited for my future :) x

Well I went for my appointment and am booked in for 24th June. I'm absolutely terrified. There are lots of additional complications because I'm going from a band to bypass. The worst that can happen (apart from death of course) is that the scar tissue will be so severe they decide they can't operate. Can't wait for this 6 weeks to pass and to hopefully wake up knowing its been done.

Only 3 weeks left now. Have told my manager, sisters and closest friends. I'll tell others after its done as don't want people worrying about me or feeling sorry for me if it doesn't happen. I'd be doing that myself. I'm really hoping that the bypass can be done.

I've never been so emotionally unstable! I go from being so happy and excited to being absolutely terrified and tearful. I'm hoping this is normal. I'm actually looking forward to starting the pre-op diet at the end of next week because then I will be really close. The only thing I'm struggling with now is keeping away from the "last meal" mentality. Weight loss has stalled but I really don't want to put any on.

Yeah iv been worried about spoiling things for my self by eating wronge foods iv lost 2 and a half last week I'm 4 stone down all together but it's been a long hall ill start my liver diet a week wensday I'm kinda looking forward to mine to u will have to keep in touch let me know how it goes u can text me on 07734449858 if its any easier good luck Hun xx

Wow Julie that's a fantastic loss. Will def keep in touch. Feeling excited again now! 4 stone loss, before the op wow you're gonna fly through the pounds afterwards x

Back