• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and totally confused!!

beckers

Hi all i have rather a long story for you all as i am so cofused right now, after reading some of the threads on here.
In 2009 my GP reffered me to UHCW to see Prof. Kumar, i saw him on the 11th of January 2011. We had a chat, about alot of things and he took bloods ect. We discussed the exsisting co-morbidaties i have (sleep apnoea treated with CPAP, and osteo-arthritus) and my BMI being 52, and he also said about seeing the dietician as she was part of the team.
I've had appointments with other members of the team besides Prof. Kumar and the dietician. I have an appointment with Prof Kumar in May and an appointment with the psychologist on the 12th of July this year. Im not sure whereabouts i am, am i in the weight loss programme or am i already on the surgery path? This is where im lost, if anyone can shed some light for me that would be great!

thanks for reading

Hey beckers,
Yes, you look to be on the path to having some kind of WLS. These things do take time as there are many different people that you need to see, then later on you will be sent for various testing. Your psychologist may say that you need to go for some kind of therapy ( I have to have cognitive therapy before I get my op) before you get the green light for surgery but every WLS case is different so there's no definite answer, sadly :(

So I had my appointment with the nutritionist today, she's very pleased with me and she's putting my case to the something panel? So they can decide on my case. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone here? It sounds like a step in the right direction anyway.

All these appointments are part of the long route....
As an earlier post said, every person has different stats (ie weight, height, co-morbs', illness or ailments) To add the confusion, unless you are going private, each PCT for each area seems to have a different procedure. Some deal with funding first, others don't consider funding until after all the pre-appointments and the surgeon recommendation.

Sorry I can't be of much help, maybe someone in you area can help with their experience with your PCT.

Was it the mdt panel? If so, and this may not be entirely accurate, you probably have you funding and the mdt panel will decide if the surgeon and his team think you are a good candidate for surgery. If they say yes then they will probably start talking dates hopefully.

Back