• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New journey started

Jaydeelou

Hi all

I was referred for surgery from my endocrinologist due to my under active thyroid and multiple other health complaints connected to my thyroid and asthma. I received a letter that has also been sent to my Drs asking if they have any objections to me being seen in the weight loss surgery clinic. Does anyone know what happens after that letter please.
I've been referred to Dr El Hassani at Princess Royal University
Thank you

tommycarpet

Hi and welcome!

Have you done your 6 to 12 month tier 3 weight loss programme yet (where they get you to try and milk diet etc)

All the very very best of luck!!

:)

Emma1504

Welcome
Each area seems to have different ways of doing things.
I was referred May 2017. Had an appointment August 2017 with the WLS team. I then had to go to a seminar December2017. March 2018 was my first MDT with the doctor, dietitian & mental health nurse. This was when my start weight was taken & they set you your weight loss target (normally 5%).
I am now in the middle of a 12 week Pre op course. After which if I have lost 5% I will go forward to another MDT & they decide if I am right for surgery. Then I go on the surgery waiting list.
It’s a long process but time does go fast & with each hoop you jump through the closer you get to your new life.
Any other questions throw them on here people are really nice on here & very helpful.
Good luck!

Jaydeelou

I haven't done this yet. I have done as many diets as I have found. I could be employed as a dietician I know that much now, I've had no luck though. I'm really nervous about it all and I'm scared I won't be accepted for surgery

Hi and welcome!

Have you done your 6 to 12 month tier 3 weight loss programme yet (where they get you to try and milk diet etc)

All the very very best of luck!!

:)

Jaydeelou

Hi Emma

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. What happens if you don't lose the 5% I can't even lose 1% at the moment. I've tried everything....even starving myself that did nothing either. My thyroid has caused my metabolism to become lazy. I'm happy to jump through as many hoops as possible as the weight is really causing me issues with my joints back asthma thyroid heart and I'm just fed up with it all

Welcome
Each area seems to have different ways of doing things.
I was referred May 2017. Had an appointment August 2017 with the WLS team. I then had to go to a seminar December2017. March 2018 was my first MDT with the doctor, dietitian & mental health nurse. This was when my start weight was taken & they set you your weight loss target (normally 5%).
I am now in the middle of a 12 week Pre op course. After which if I have lost 5% I will go forward to another MDT & they decide if I am right for surgery. Then I go on the surgery waiting list.
It’s a long process but time does go fast & with each hoop you jump through the closer you get to your new life.
Any other questions throw them on here people are really nice on here & very helpful.
Good luck!

Bling Babe

Hi and welcome, I’m not sure of the order of things at your hospital, I’m under Luton and Dunstable, bypassed 5th April, you will have to do a 6/12 month assessment period depending on your BMI, you will have hoops to jump through and unfortunately you will have to lose 5% if your body weight to continue the journey but you’ll be very surprised how being “in the system” and working towards wls helps you to be much more focus, the only other advice is research research research absolutely everything about wls and your particular choice of surgery because afterward so much changes and you really need to be prepared as much as possible p. Good luck and keep in touch xxx

Sarnie

Hi Emma

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. What happens if you don't lose the 5% I can't even lose 1% at the moment. I've tried everything....even starving myself that did nothing either. My thyroid has caused my metabolism to become lazy. I'm happy to jump through as many hoops as possible as the weight is really causing me issues with my joints back asthma thyroid heart and I'm just fed up with it all
I don't know what they would do if you didn't lose 5%, but they will have to take into account your thyroid problem. I think you stay on their diet until you achieve the 5% , so might take you longer to go through the process.
I was talking to a man at L&D hospital when I was in the waiting room, he had got his 5%, then by eating the wrong things put it back again and more, so he had to start over until he maintained his 5% loss, but at least they worked with him and didn't kick him off the program. So I'm sure they will work with you x

Emma1504

I asked what happens if I can’t achieve the 5% & my hospital told me that I have a year to achieve it & if not I will get discharged from the pathway & referred back to my GP.
Not sure about your area but surely they would take into account your thyroid issues. Be interested to know x