• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Member.

wmaxs29

Hi,
My name is Alan and yes I am New.
Seen Surgeon Mr Richardson at Heartlands Birmingham.put on waiting list gave date middle to end of Jan.2014.RNY Bypass.But stated that if he could not do the RNY Would do the Sleeve.My problem is as I am waiting I have put on some weight as eating the things that I know I will not be able to eat in the future.Any advise please also have much weight do you have loose before Surgery.Regards,Alan

Last edited:
Hi Alan, I,m having a bypass with Mr Richardson on Wednesday at spires Solihull, I self funding so unsure as to how much weight is needed to be lost.

Hi Thanks for your reply.
He Seems Very nice and is the lead Surgeon at Heartlands.
So you are in good hands.I wish you all the best and good luck.I just need the confirmed date and will be ok then.
Regards,
Alan.PS never posted before.

Hi Thanks for your reply.
He Seems Very nice and is the lead Surgeon at Heartlands.
So you are in good hands.I wish you all the best and good luck.I just need the confirmed date and will be ok then.
Regards,
Alan.PS never posted before.

Once you start posting its addictive :)

Have a good read of the forum its full of fab info great tips amazing stories and wonderful pics.

Hi Alan

I'm not sure what the criteria is for your provider but I know mine will not do it if someone has put weight on.

It's great though that you've thought about this with a couple of months to spare. If the estimate is the middle of Jan the chances are you will have a pre-op appointment in early January i.e very close to the end of the Christmas season, so getting yourself straight now is good.

You don't have to answer these out loud but some things to think about:

How supportive are your family - so if you ask them to help you to not indulge anymore/over Christmas will they do it or do you need to get your moral support for elsewhere?

Is there a nurse/HCA at your GP's that you can pop in see every week or two to encourage you?

Would you be comfortable giving Slimming World/Weight Watchers a go for a month or so to get you back on track? If you are anything like me, I am good for the first handful of weeks and then go off track. It would give you a boost downwards. I know these clubs aren't easy to go to but just think, in 6 months time you'll pass other members in the street and they won't recognise you :)

At times when you get the munches is there something you can distract yourself with? For me it was the internet version of window shopping for clothes. Imagine what your new life will be. I had my op in February this year. Next August we are going on a 2 week full on activity holiday in Europe that I could never have done before.

Good luck, Alan x

Hi,
Thanks for your help and advise.You are right i need and will get back on track.
What a great thing you have done and to be going on a 2 week full on activity holiday in Europe that you could never have done before.
Thats fantastic.
Regards
Alan

hello and welcome

hi alan i am also heartlands with mr nijjar end feb early march goodluck with your journey possible bypass/sleeve if liver wont shrink enough

Hi Adele,
Good luck.
I was told the same if he cant do the RNY it will be the sleave.Apparantly they tell this to eveyone.So when you have the opp you wont come back without any thing being done.
Regards and its getting closer.
Alan

Hi,
My name is Alan and yes I am New.
Seen Surgeon Mr Richardson at Heartlands Birmingham.put on waiting list gave date middle to end of Jan.2014.RNY Bypass.But stated that if he could not do the RNY Would do the Sleeve.My problem is as I am waiting I have put on some weight as eating the things that I know I will not be able to eat in the future.Any advise please also have much weight do you have loose before Surgery.Regards,Alan

I did this Alan. I had 7 years if not eating bread n meat with a band, so although I didn't eat big portions, I gained weight rapidly. Now on 5% milk duet loss n having to follow it to a t or no op ;(

previous bander, now awaiting by pass or sleeve this year.

Hi Adele,
Good luck.
I was told the same if he cant do the RNY it will be the sleave.Apparantly they tell this to eveyone.So when you have the opp you wont come back without any thing being done.
Regards and its getting closer.
Alan

mines been put off now for further tests i need doing but goodluck with yours getting closer now for you will look out for updates

Hi 2nd Timer,
It seems so unfair what you have dealt with.
Please carry on and i hope your opp goes ahead and good luck in the future.
Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm a newbie too! :)

I have only just had my information sessions and I was advised that they wouldn't go ahead if any of us put weight on before the op as the Liver needs to shrink to perform the operation.

I have now joined Weight Wathers Online (again), just to help me keep control and track what I am eating.

I've had a group session and have a pre-assessment to meet the surgeon on 4th February 2014, found it to be very ad-hoc and unorganised and other than these appointments, they haven’t made the process going forwards clear.

How have you found the process so far through the NHS?

Helen xx

Hi 2nd Timer,
It seems so unfair what you have dealt with.
Please carry on and i hope your opp goes ahead and good luck in the future.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks hunny, you too. If you knew that the NHS meds ruined my band by giving me castic meds that nearly killed me n band had to come out. Then they said I wasn't fat enough to have more surgery. Sadly it all ace back on what I had lost. Then they still wouldn't budge for funding even tho it was their fault. Anyway the huge sudden weight gain gave me sleep apnoea so now I qualify. !!!! What an unnecessary palava :( that's a shortened version lol.
Have a good loss n be happy :)

previous bander, now awaiting by pass or sleeve this year.

Hi and welcome
I am quite a newbie as well the journey isn't easy but this forum has been a great support to me and will be to you as well the first hurdle is crossed by making initial posts, good luck on your journey

Hi
I was referred by my Liver Consultant to have a RNY.From the first appointment they stated that I would not be founded.But put me on there Weight Management Programe at the Heartlands Hospital Birmingham.See a Diatision every six weeks.Was lossing every time.( about a 1lb a week.Then when i went to my Liver Appointment seen every six months.My consultant went mad and stated that he would send them again a letter and would even go himself in front of the board who control the budgets.
I then after two weeks recieved a letter stating that my case was to be reviewed.After about two weeks they stated that if i lost another 5% of body weight they would disscuss again my case.In five weeks i lost the weight and was then referred again,and they said yes they would fund my surgery.Was offered a band sleave or the RNY all on the NHS.I asked for the RNY Bypass.Was seen by sergeon on 10/10/2013.He put me on his weighting list.On the 31/12/2013. I was informed to start pre opp
diet on the 1st Jan.2014.Pre opp accessmet yesturday the 13/01/2014.Having Opp this Thusday 16/01/2014.So my advise is dont give in they have to take in account your other medical problems.From start to finish i would say just over 1 year.Hope that helps at the start I was 133.2kgs down to 118.8Kgs.Feeling nervise about the opp,I forgot had to get my current medication in liguid form,my Gp did that for me.
Regards,
Alan.Sorry about the spelling.

great news alan not long now only couple days i will watch for updates as i am also birmingham heartlands and have yet to get any info on the post op there

Back