• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to the site (a bit about me)

Shazz2120

Just thought I'd say Hi,

Well I'm 31 with a two year old and I weigh 21.7 stone and have been overweight most of my adult life although when I look back as my teen photos although I felt fat now I look at them I don't think I looked fat especially compared to now, but saying that I am and have always been a very extrovert personality and have never let my weight stop be doing anything. I have been looking into weight loss surgery over 5 years now but never thought I would ever be able to have it due to the financial cost but a year ago I met a lady on a course I was doing and we started chatting and she show me a pic or how much she used to weigh and I could not believe it was the same person and told me that she got it done on the NHS due to health reason and that it was the best thing she has ever done. So last year I was referred by my doctor and I found out last week my surgery is booked for March 17th 2014 at Homerton hospital. I am terrified and and excited all at the same time but the main things that scare me are will I be able to do the Pre-Op liquid diet and I'm sooooo scared that I will get excess skin.

Hello and welcome fellow newbie.

I am also in my thirties with young children and due to have a gastric band on Friday.
I have had all the same feelings as you and even some doubts, but I am feeling confident now and looking forward to Friday.

The Pre op diet I have found is mentally hard rather than physically. I haven't felt hungry at all, but have been a bit miserable. I am sure you will be fine, just follow the advice you are given and bear the end results in mind to get you through.

As for loose skin- I think that no matter how I lose my weight I will have some loose skin, especially on my tummy- thanks kids! I still think it will be better to be healthy for myself and my family by losing the excess weight.

Good luck anyway, I hope all goes well for you.

Just wanted to say hi and good luck I had my op (Bypass) in November last year and am over 4 and half stone down, I am so pleased I had the op I can't believe the change in me :)

Thanks Guys

Thanks for replying means a lot to know I'm not alone although most of my fam and friends are supportive, I kinder feel like they don't really get it so thank you xx

Hi Shazz
I had DS 2 years ago my family have been brilliant too but as you say they didn't really get it but now they can see the results are very happy for me...good luck with the pre op diet just remember its all for a good cause and you will get through it don't fall at the last hurdle :) take care xx

I know what you mean! I have only told closest family and one very close friend who are all supportive, but don't really get how the band works, etc.

I think most people still think it is a miracle cure and I will be losing stones very quickly and skinny by christmas! If only!

Hello you!
welcome to a great site!,
like you i`m an eastender and sometime this year I too will be having my op at homerton
wishing you lots of luck

Welcome and good luck x

hiya shazz im 56 and 20 stone.i started my journey 12 months ago.bit had a problem with sleep apnea.but all well now.had my pre op assessment.and now a date 13th march.my family are behind me and a few friends.but its all about you health isn't it.i cant carry on the way I am.i have a chance with the bypass.and this site is great and a lovly people who help.you take care and hope to hear soon soohoo

Hello hun and other fellow newbies :) wishing you all the very best with your surgery. I was lucky enough to be accepted by the NHS although it was a 3 year long journey for me. I was finally banded on Thursday and can say it was a little scarey (but am well know wimp) i had a few tears but all went smoothly and i was home that night. I have a couple of restless nights due to being uncomfortable, but no real pain except the wind lol but that's shifting , much to hubby's disgust. I was given calpol in hospital after i got to the ward for pain relief, although i didn't really need it at the time, but was advised to have it. Since being home i've taken 2 soluble paracetamols but thats it. i think loose skin is a worry for a lot of us but for me a posh pair of knickers and tuck it all in will do fine :) wishing you luck and congrats too x x x

Hi Shazz (again)
I did mean to say about the loose skin I have quite a lot on tops of my legs and little round my back and obviously some tummy but I expected a lot worse and being 52 its not really an issue as I don't wear bikinis mini skirts and backless dresses lol but it does not bother me one bit either coz id rather hide a bit of loose skin than die of sleep aponea diabetes type 2 high cholesterol etc etc and I would think at 31 you may be very lucky and have elastic skin still which will go back as much as possible :)

About the loose skin...is there anything we can do to help elasticity etc? I am 29 (20st)I don't worry about it as like you say I would much rather be healthy! At the moment I too have sleep apnea and my goal is to get down to a healthy weight but if there is something I could do to help skin then I would obv do it. Or is it all down to genes? Xx

I think it is probably down to genes but definitely age makes a difference too coz the younger you are the more likely the elasticity is still good :) I think that's why bingo wings are more in older women than young but to be honest if you look at my pics in the strappy top you cant really see if I have them or not and I don't think it looks too bad but as I say would never show tops of my legs off :)

I think it is probably down to genes but definitely age makes a difference too coz the younger you are the more likely the elasticity is still good :) I think that's why bingo wings are more in older women than young but to be honest if you look at my pics in the strappy top you cant really see if I have them or not and I don't think it looks too bad but as I say would never show tops of my legs off :)
I already have bingo wings :O haha hoping the get smaller tho x

Hi shazza and welcome!

I think if you have stretch marks on areas of your body already then the skin can never repair itself and gain elasticity. So that's probably where you may find you get pockets of lose skin. I always find a little fake tan does wonders. For me loose skin is definitely the lesser of two evils. X

Back