• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to the site (a bit about me)

I've got a lot of stretch marks already but touch wood most of mine are fading and the skin seems to be ok. I think exercising helps x

hiya all.i have had this argument with one of my daughters.im happy working with the bypass to loose weight and be healthy,i have no plans at all to go back into surgery.i will keep trying to exercise stretching and walking.if you look around.there I a lot of clothing these days that look great.and the new undies they will do the trick for me.dont get me wrong we all want different things and I am 56 and surgery no more.you all take care.i could waffle on about this all day.

Just thought I'd say Hi, Well I'm 31 with a two year old and I weigh 21.7 stone and have been overweight most of my adult life although when I look back as my teen photos although I felt fat now I look at them I don't think I looked fat especially compared to now, but saying that I am and have always been a very extrovert personality and have never let my weight stop be doing anything. I have been looking into weight loss surgery over 5 years now but never thought I would ever be able to have it due to the financial cost but a year ago I met a lady on a course I was doing and we started chatting and she show me a pic or how much she used to weigh and I could not believe it was the same person and told me that she got it done on the NHS due to health reason and that it was the best thing she has ever done. So last year I was referred by my doctor and I found out last week my surgery is booked for March 17th 2014 at Homerton hospital. I am terrified and and excited all at the same time but the main things that scare me are will I be able to do the Pre-Op liquid diet and I'm sooooo scared that I will get excess skin.

Hi Shazz, welcome!!
I am 38 with 2 kids (8 & 5 years). I have always been big, even as a child, have been on every diet but none ever worked!!! I was referred and my first hospital appointment was in April 2009, but due to health issues and me being SO scared of the surgery and not waking up afterwards, I kept putting it off!!! I finally had a sleeve on jan 3rd 2014, and wish I had done it years ago and not let my worries hold me back!!! I had a good experience in hospital, had very little pain after the op, no wind pain (thank goodness!!) and I always thought I had a low pain threshold!!!! Although my scales don't show an amazing weight loss ( having said that I bought a really cheap pair of scales so I am not sure how accurate they are!!! Well that's my reason!! ). But last week I bought a size 24 coat from ASDA and was a good 26-28 pre op, so i am really chuffed!!!!
I was lucky with my pre op diet I followed the low carb, no fat diet, so I could eat and chew things, but to be honest did feel hungry - and I had to do this over Christmas which I think made it worse, but I didn't cheat as I had the end goal in sight!!! But honestly don't feel hungry since the op, it is really strange to explain!!!
As for the spare skin that might be left when I looses all my weight, I know I can cover this up with underwear and clothes, and would much rather have a bit of looses skin and live to see my kids grow up!!!! I can't wait to be more active with the kids, although I feel I have been fairly active, it's just doing the normal things, like getting my bottom into a fair ground ride to sit next to them!!!!
Anyway enough of me rambling on!!! I wish you all the luck with your journey!!!
Love sal xxx

About the loose skin...is there anything we can do to help elasticity etc? I am 29 (20st)I don't worry about it as like you say I would much rather be healthy! At the moment I too have sleep apnea and my goal is to get down to a healthy weight but if there is something I could do to help skin then I would obv do it. Or is it all down to genes? Xx

Hi Laura,
I'm also 30 yr old weighing just under 23st and I've been told by the nurse's that having the op at a younger age (even tho I think 30 is old lol) very good chance of skin pinging back so to speak my hairdresser had her bypass 18 months ago she looks fab she had really big arms she's a few year younger than me, its my arms worrying me the most for vest tops etc, my view with the other areas nothing that a good pair of Gok pants cant hold in place she looks fab in a dress with a little bit of support :) xx :D

Hi Shazz, I have just been referred by my GP, appointment to see Dr Simon Coppack on 13th March. Im 25 and 19st, BM 43 and no health conditions, but i ahve been trying to lose weight for 6/7 years and have failed. Maintained for 3.5 years now. How long did it take from your initial referral to surgery? What are the steps in between? I believe Dr Coppack has clinics at St Barts but i would then be referred to Homerton.

We are getting married next April and i am wondering if it is likely to be before then.

My hubby2be had RNY in June 2012 under Dr El Hasani and he has lost 10 stone and maintained for 12 months. It was dramatic emotionally and physically for him but he doesn't regret it one bit. He now leads a much healthier lifestyle.

Good luck to you, Michelle xx

Just thought I'd say Hi,

Well I'm 31 with a two year old and I weigh 21.7 stone and have been overweight most of my adult life although when I look back as my teen photos although I felt fat now I look at them I don't think I looked fat especially compared to now, but saying that I am and have always been a very extrovert personality and have never let my weight stop be doing anything. I have been looking into weight loss surgery over 5 years now but never thought I would ever be able to have it due to the financial cost but a year ago I met a lady on a course I was doing and we started chatting and she show me a pic or how much she used to weigh and I could not believe it was the same person and told me that she got it done on the NHS due to health reason and that it was the best thing she has ever done. So last year I was referred by my doctor and I found out last week my surgery is booked for March 17th 2014 at Homerton hospital. I am terrified and and excited all at the same time but the main things that scare me are will I be able to do the Pre-Op liquid diet and I'm sooooo scared that I will get excess skin.

Hi Lowey

I've been seeing Dr Coppak for 2.5 years now, he is a great doctor and I can't rate him enough. Originally I was of the mind that I didn't want surgery I was ok being a "happy" fat person or that I would do it on my own...so I tried as I had for my whole life and didn't succeed (as ever) I lost weight to gain it back plus more, I joined and quit weight watchers 4 times ( insane) and eventually, I decided in January 2013 to change my mind and ask Dr Coppak about surgery options! Well, he nearly fell off his chair but was very supportive. There was then all of 2013 and nothing happened, I called Dr Coppak's office, I called Homerton, I went to the GP and everything was frozen in the pipeline as there was a new structure being introduced etc... And I just had to be patient. Well, it was a real test and having finally come around to surgery I had time to wonder if I'd made the right decision...I had and that made me even more determined to make it happen! Eventually, in November 2013 I got a letter inviting me for my first assessment at Homerton, it was a 6 week wait but that was ok, I had my date! It came around in a flash and from that appointment I got my next and then I got my surgery date - 30 April 2014. I am now on pre op slimfast diet and counting down to my "second chance at life" as I call it. I can't wait, I am so amped. Meeting post op people at the Homerton support group has really spurred me on and now i wish I'd done it years ago! All the best with Dr Coppak and your journey, it's a long road but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Stacey

Back