• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this people

missdmac

Going in on Sunday to have a band fitted bit nervous, could eat a horse at the moment lol but stuck to my shakes and clear soup. Any advise I need to know people xx

Welcome . . :)

And good luck on sunday! I am just approaching 13 weeks post band op and really love my band, but more so for the way it is a tool to aid me in my weight loss and making healthier choices.

What sort of advise would you like to know? do you have any specific questions or concerns?

Kat x

My concerns are the hunger, my problem is picking and portion size, I know I can stop the picking, but are the smaller portions going to work x

Sorry hi Kat , I'm Debbie and I'm so happy I found this site. I only told close family about my band so it's nice being able to talk about it .
Deb xx

You will notice a much reduced portion size, however that will only work if the portion size is of the right foods. You could eat a small portion of vegetables and protein, or a small portion of high fat and calorie laden foods, but it will certainly make a difference as to the results.

My problem was the same as you, I have no desire to pick (although at the moment I do feel hungry as I dont have restriction from my band and am due for a fill and Im also burning a good 5-700 cals a day on exercise) but, if you eat the right foods when you get onto normal eating, it will leave you feeling fuller for longer and the portions you eat will be smaller.

A lot of it is also working with the band, eating the right foods, eating for a maximum of 20 mins slowly (some people have a 20-20-20 rule ~ chew for 20 seconds, wait for 20 secs eat for max 20 mins) but mine is a chew for 30 secs, wait for 30 secs, max time 20 mins for a meal.

Slowing down your eating and stopping at those 20 mins even if you aren't full is key. As is learning to know when you're no longer hungry and not full. It does take time, but it will become second nature.

So yes, smaller portions will work, but you have to work with the band, stick to the guidelines, the max calories they recommend and change eating habits and the types of food. The band wont work on its own and I know my provider made it very clear that I could still eat what I wanted to post band, but if I did and continued eating the same, then it wouldn't work, but that it wouldn't be the band not working, it would be more so of me not working with my band.

But yes, I no longer pick, I don't find that I have a need to graze, my portion sizes fit on a side plate. Im hoping that when I do find a level of restriction with my band, that it really will do what its there to do, at the moment a lot of it is strong willpower and a control over what and how Im eating :)

Sorry hi Kat , I'm Debbie and I'm so happy I found this site. I only told close family about my band so it's nice being able to talk about it .
Deb xx

Hi Deb :) I don't have anyone to really talk to about it either. Most of my family do not even know lol no-one I work with knows either :) if you ever want to chat or anything else, always feel free to let me know, send me a message :)

Thanks Hun I will take u up on that. I know I'm doing the right I can lose weight just can't keep it off. How long was u up and running after the op?

Deb x

I felt ok after my op, I would have been ready to go back to work after about 5 days, but actually had it done during school hols so was off with my son and took 10 days, I was out and about and moving tho from the day after (slow walking) and back to normal in terms of driving, being out and about 3 days post op. I did notice I felt a bit more tired during that first week, the anaesthetic really knocked me for six lol

But I know that I've also been lucky with no wind pain, and I had a bad port pain but that was from overdoing the exercise at about 6 weeks out :)

Hi just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum and also good luck with your op. xx

Hi Deb, welcome to the forum.
I'm 3 and a half weeks post band and just started purée food after 3 weeks on liquid diet.
You will find that you simply cannot eat normal portions and you should quickly get used to the full feeling coming on quickly. Don't be tempted to take just one more bite, stop there :) I have found that although my weight dropped sharply post op, it's not moved much since. Get yourself mobile and exercising as soon as you feel that you can. I was going for walks 2 days post op and am now starting back at the gym and doing swimming.
You may find that your bowel movements are reduced from daily to maybe twice a week - plenty of walking about will help this, as well as easing any trapped wind.

Best of luck on your journey. I hope all goes smoothly for you this weekend :)

Hello and welcome to the forum .

With regards to post op diet ood and portion sizes your provider should provide you with a list of do's and dont's (post op diet sheet) and what size portions you will be having, same goes with fluids etc. Once your banded make sure you over do things and have a much needed recovery - Wishing you all the best BD X

Welcome and the very best of luck to you. The band definitely is a tool rather than a miracle cure. Use it wisely and go into this journey prepared to make an effort and you will succeed. It's like servicing a car, look after it and it will take you from a to b ... but remember the starting point, destination and obstacles along the route you and your band take may be different to another banders route ... so try not to compare (too much ;)) x

Back