• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New

suger

Hi new to site am I beginning stage my doctor has referred me for weight loss surgery just wondering how long you wait from doctor referral to op ?I know there are meetings have to see different people etc before also if doctor has referred you does that mean you defently will get surgery ? I asked her for band but now after looking into it there are different surgerys can you choose ? Any advise or tips and personal experience pre or post op on weight loss surgeries much appreciated

jj87

Hi. Where about RU based. I got my surgery date on the 18th July. My doctor referred me in December so I have been Lucky but I did chase up a lot and got cancellation appointments also. Fingers crossed for you x

suger

Hi I'm in surrey how many appointments /different people do we see before we find out if will get the surgery , thank you xx

Laaux

Hi new to site am I beginning stage my doctor has referred me for weight loss surgery just wondering how long you wait from doctor referral to op ?I know there are meetings have to see different people etc before also if doctor has referred you does that mean you defently will get surgery ? I asked her for band but now after looking into it there are different surgerys can you choose ? Any advise or tips and personal experience pre or post op on weight loss surgeries much appreciated

Hi and welcome!

From the GP referral to getting my operation date was about a year. I'm now due for surgery on 3rd July. Hope it's quick for you & good luck! X

jj87

Hi I'm in surrey how many appointments /different people do we see before we find out if will get the surgery , thank you xx
3appointments and since April ive been waiting on my date pretty much. I now have another two appointments before my surgery. One being the pre op.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome!

Yes you can choose which surgery you have but you'll be guided by what the surgeon and team recommend for you.

There are currently three main surgeries being performed in the UK, being the gastric bypass, the sleeve and the band.

The bypass, sometimes called a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, works by making your stomach smaller and bypassing part of your intestines (bowels), so that you absorb fewer calories.

The sleeve works by reducing and removing a large part of your stomach, leaving you with a banana shape (sleeve) new small stomach, which restricts the amount you can eat.

Both of these will have an immediate impact on your weight.

The band works by also restricting how much you can eat but you may not feel the full benefits until your restriction is spot on. This is achieved by the band being filled with fluid to tighten it. Some patients need quite a few to get this right.

suger

Hi and welcome!

From the GP referral to getting my operation date was about a year. I'm now due for surgery on 3rd July. Hope it's quick for you & good luck! X
Good luck with surgery and thank you for reply did u do tier 3 if so how long did u have to do it for do you know if it different or is there a set time for all ? X

Laaux

Good luck with surgery and thank you for reply did u do tier 3 if so how long did u have to do it for do you know if it different or is there a set time for all ? X

I'm not sure what tier 3 means, is that weight management? I had to see a dietician every few months for a while and I had a psychological assessment if that's what you mean! But I've heard other people have had to follow a set diet for a prolonged period of time which I didn't have to do. Xx

suger

I'm not sure what tier 3 means, is that weight management? I had to see a dietician every few months for a while and I had a psychological assessment if that's what you mean! But I've heard other people have had to follow a set diet for a prolonged period of time which I didn't have to do. Xx
Hi yes think tier 3 is weight management I thought everyone had to do it what is the psychological assessment what do they ask you thanks for reply I'm in surrey and bmi 45 can't find anyone at my hospital on here x

Laaux

Hi yes think tier 3 is weight management I thought everyone had to do it what is the psychological assessment what do they ask you thanks for reply I'm in surrey and bmi 45 can't find anyone at my hospital on here x

My psychological assessment was just over the phone. A woman contacted me and asked me lots of questions about my lifestyle, eating habits etc. I think she just listens to what you say and determines your relationship with food and she said that from speaking to me she didn't hear any of the warning signs of a more deeper rooted issue that she didn't believe the surgery could help with. So I think they just asesss you and make sure there is no underlying mental health problems that could affect the success of the surgery. I didn't hear from her again, she just sent me some documents on how to prevent comfort eating as that was my problem. Xx

suger

My psychological assessment was just over the phone. A woman contacted me and asked me lots of questions about my lifestyle, eating habits etc. I think she just listens to what you say and determines your relationship with food and she said that from speaking to me she didn't hear any of the warning signs of a more deeper rooted issue that she didn't believe the surgery could help with. So I think they just asesss you and make sure there is no underlying mental health problems that could affect the success of the surgery. I didn't hear from her again, she just sent me some documents on how to prevent comfort eating as that was my problem. Xx
Oh I wonder if I will get surgery then as I have depression on and off so that may go against me then I prosume I had a delayed miscarriage then lost a family member my problem with food is i love it to much and eat the wrong things crave sweet stuff also main meals are bigger than should be , I have also on times of feeling low comfort ate x

Laaux

Oh I wonder if I will get surgery then as I have depression on and off so that may go against me then I prosume I had a delayed miscarriage then lost a family member my problem with food is i love it to much and eat the wrong things crave sweet stuff also main meals are bigger than should be , I have also on times of feeling low comfort ate x

I'm really sorry to hear that.
I don't think it will hun, I take medication for mild depression and anxiety and I had no problems :)
I also crave sweet stuff, chocolate is my weakness! I think we all have our issues with food but committing to this journey isn't easy and we all know we have to change our frame of mind to commit 100% and lose weight so I don't think it'll affect you at all xx

suger

Thank you I wonder what they class as more deeper rooted issues then lol I'm worried I'm going say wrong things to all these people I've got to see xx

FeeBee

I had eating disorders for years in my teens which included medical interventions and very severe episodes of depression which saw me in hospital too. When I got to the stage of meeting the surgeon he was very fixed on that and said I had to see a psychologist because he was worried I wanted WLS as a cover for resuming my eating disorder and was quite rude! I met with the psychologist, explained the work I have done over the years including medication and counselling plus how far in the past this all was. I explained what I understood WLS could and could not achieve, the work I was putting into adjusting my relationship with food and had been for a long time before we got to this stage. She said I had obviously considered all my options, was well informed and already making changes ready for life post op and 'passed' me as it were.
So try not to worry. Be honest and be prepared :)
The surgeon was lovely when I saw him again and said he's deliberately very tough to try and weed out anyone who can't psychologically cope. I can see why he thinks that's a good idea but it was a horrible experience.