• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie being banded in a few days!!!

jinkles

Hi all, I have been reading some posts and have found them quite helpful. I'm having the gastric band procedure done at the Nuffield Hospital in Newcastle-under-Lyme (staffs). I am quite nervous as I don't do well with aneasthetic and don't know exactly what to expect. I would love to hear from people who have had the band in and what their experience was like.

My name is Jenny I'm 28yrs, married and have 2 girls 4 1/2 and 2yrs.
I have been overweight since I was 14yrs and at my heaviest weighed 19.5st, I now weigh 16st 3lbs (slimming world) and have just lost 13lbs on the pre-op diet!!!

hi jenny welcome to minis, im not good with aneasthetic either as i always wake up with a real bad headache, but i told them that and they gave me painkillers for this side effect b4 i came around and i was fine, they can also give anti sickness drugs to if required.
well done on the weight loss so far from the pre op diet.

liz x

Thanks

Hi Liz, thanks for ur reply, i will mention to the aneasthatist about my concerns thanks.
How has ur experience with the band gone? x:)x

my experience has been quite a positive one, its bettered my health and i feel like a new person, not just physically but mentally to, as im now not the shy recluse i once was, i have much more confidence now and my personality is very out going. it has been hard work, but if the band rules are followed correctly and worked with then the desired results are there to be taken.

liz x

Hi Jenny,

Congrats on your weight loss so far. That is good going. I had the anaesthetic with no side effects so dont really have any advice except to tell the anaesthetist when he visits you before the op in hosp (he visited me to ask if i ever had troubles with anaesthetic). The procedure does not require you to be under for a long period of time, i think mine took 45mins. So I hope you get minimal side effects anyway, fingers crossed 4 u. Good luck with your wls journey. Keep us posted on your progress, its always nice to track other banders progress. Take Care r x

Back