• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie considering which WLS and very eager to get going!

Hi All
I've made the decision to have WLS but I keep changing my mind as to which one!
Im 124 kg (19 something stone), 170cm (5'6'') with a BMI of 42. Size 22. I'm 38, mother of 2 with no more babies planned.
I've always been a 'big' girl at a steady and contented size 16/18 (more 18). Since my last pregnancy 3 and half years ago I steadily went up to size 20 and since quitting smoking last year I've gone up to size 22. I've just let it happen and i'm now at the point where I am not comfortable and I only have a few items of cloths that fit. I HATE photos of me!
Last week I made the decision to have WLS and have been researching ever since.

I originally decided that a Balloon would best suit. Its not permanent and i could lose 3-4 stone. I've since read that its not suitable for my weight.

I then considered the band, but the thought of having to keep getting it tightened doesn't appeal.

I'm not considering the wrap. I think its the best suitable to to me.

Has anyone considered the 3 I've mentioned and if so what did you go for and why; and how have you done on it?

I'm considering surgery abroad, in Czech. Has anyone been there? if so what was your experience? What did you have done? What have your results been?

Id be really interested to hear from someone who had a similar BMI as me and what WLS they decided to have.

Thanks in advance.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome @Princess Rosie !

I think its fair to say we have all considered at least one of these options, so your in good company.

We do have members who have gone abroad for surgery and we also have had members who have had a wrap. Some who have done really well and others, not so much. I think we have a current member converting from a wrap to a sleeve (I think?) so hopefully they will see your post and comment.

Are you dead set on the wrap or are you still looking at all options? my advice would be to research lots and then speak to the surgeon you plan to use - then make your choice.

Good luck! x

Hi Mazza

Thanks for your reply.
Finances are giving me the options that ive mentioned.
Ive been giving it more thought today and i really think the wrap is the way forward for me and im considering ( looking into) going to the Czech Republic.
Thanks
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mazza

Thanks for your reply.
Finances are giving me the options that ive mentioned.
Ive been giving it more thought today and i really think the wrap is the way forward for me and im considering ( looking into) going to the Czech Republic.
Thanks
x
I started off wanting the band because that's what I heard the most about but once seeing the pre team at homerton I started leaning towards the bypass as it suited me more and I've never had any regrets with my choice
All I can say is do your research, talk to people in your support group and on here
Good luck with everything

maybe you mean me... if you search my user name I'm sure you'll find more info

I had a wrap 4 years or so ago. Took me from 21st to about mid 14 st. Was over the moon

I'd bob up and down a bit - nothing too drastic. Some major nightmares set me back on my old course and I went up to about 16.st3 I think.

I knew I was on the wrong side and went for a scan that showed everything was well. I was actually around expected target for the wrap, but desperately wanted to lose more and get to a normal bmi range due to family health issues. The wrap did not fail me - it did well and changed my life for the better

I'd forgotten the I'd always been told that my best option was a two step procedure

I've since had a sleeve done on 1st August and am now 13st5. The op is very similar as is recovery time. No problems with either here to report.

Like with any wls - treat it with respect and it will do you well. You need to respect the restriction and not push it.

Refined carbs are my demons. I've been off bread, pasta, rice and potatoes now for 4 months. As long as I remember and keep it that way, this time I know I'll get there :)

Back