• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie - first band fiill tommorow

fbscpa

Hi all,

I've been lurking for sometime now and thought it was about time I say hello :wave_cry:

I'm excited/nervous to get my first band fill tommorow. I'm definatley in need of it as I have found I no longer need to eat very slowly and can eat quite a bit without being satisfied, plus my weight loss has stopped and, unsuprisingly I gained a little over xmas. Looking on the brighter side I haven't gone back to my weight before the pre-op diet so think I will be on the right track once I get some restriction.

OK so my question is: first band fill, will it hurt!?? The needle used sounds quite large and although I've given blood and things before the thought of the band fill isn't exactly appealing.

(fyi I had my band through the HPG)

Hello and welcome!

The needle used for the fill is a very fine gauge one, nowhere near the gauge of the needle used when giving blood.
My first fill went very smoothly, no pain, no blood, and although the nurse put a dressing on afterwards, when I peeled it off there was no blood on it and I couldn't see where I'd been injected.

Good luck, though I'm sure you'll be fine:)

Thanks for reassuring me, I'm sure like giving blood, if I don't actually look at the needle all will be fine... fingers crossed! :)

Generally you will just feel a teeny prick and before you know it you will be back in the waiting room with a drink :)

Hi and welcome,

I'm such a wuss with needles I shake, cry etc... But you can't feel it really tiny scratch as it goes in but that's it no bruising or pain or blood.
Takes less then a minute and it's done it feels strange but nothing more you will be fine. I was concerned before my first but I don't give it a second thought now I promise you.
Good luck xx

I'm sure it will be fine, sometimes they may have difficultly locating the port, I know this was my case, it was uncomfortable but it didn't hurt. It's normally a pretty straight forward thing, and out of my 12 fills so far only 2 have been less than straight forward.

Good luck and even tho you may not have restriction it's important to stick to guidelines with portions to avoid stretching the pouch or causing issues such as band slippage.

I didn't realised that you could cause damage even without any liquid in the band or experiencing any problems eating? I was under the impression that the new research suggests that food isn't actually "trapped" in the upper portion of the stomach for very long even with restriction, and therefore actually if there's no restriction I assumed I could eat to satisfy my appetite without damaging the band?

Eek! Hopefully no damage done, I have been chewing my food very thoroughly and tried to eat slowly. Plus the main things I have overindulged in are "slider" foods and alchohol over the xmas period, which I plan to avoid from now on anyway!

Hi there,
Had my first fill yesterday. I am a wuss when it comes to needles. But honestly, it was fine. Just laid down, the nurse felt for the port, a sharp scratch & then it was over in a couple of minutes. Didn't feel anything. Not sure what I was expecting, thought there might be some sensation, but nothing.
Hope it goes okay xx

I've got my first fill on Tuesday. Kind of looking forward to it and considering it to be the 'real' start of my journey. TBH for the last couple of weeks I've almost forgotten that I have a band. Apart from a couple of painful incidents where I didn't chew my food properly I haven't really noticed a difference. But I know that I need to work with my band and plan to do so once I've had my fill.
Does anyone know if you also talk to anyone at the fill sessions? My provider is Healthier Weight. Thanks in advance.

I don't know how HW work, but I'm with THG and before each fill I have a consultation with the dietician and then with the nurse, where we discuss weight loss, eating habits, current levels of hunger and restriction and what my plans are for the next month. The dietician and nurse then agree an appropriate fill and the nurse fills in all the paperwork and actually does the fill. I would imagine HW would be pretty similar.
Good luck!

I've got my first fill on Tuesday. Kind of looking forward to it and considering it to be the 'real' start of my journey. TBH for the last couple of weeks I've almost forgotten that I have a band. Apart from a couple of painful incidents where I didn't chew my food properly I haven't really noticed a difference. But I know that I need to work with my band and plan to do so once I've had my fill.
Does anyone know if you also talk to anyone at the fill sessions? My provider is Healthier Weight. Thanks in advance.

HW isn't similar to THG.

The fill is done by one person who will also be the person you can talk to regarding any issues. Do you know who your fill is with? Where are you going for it? At some places it will be a bariatric nurse (at Brum I normally see Claire, but Yasmin is now back fro maternity leave) but it could even be with Prof F or even Dr Ashton, really does depend who you're seeing.

With HW you don't see separate people.

Hi Kat

I don't know who it is with, but the appointment is at Wimpole Street. I had my surgery at Soton with Mr Jamie Kelly but I'm in London Mon to Thurs so this was easier for me.
Thanks for all of your support.
x

I'm with HPG and their didn't seem to be much interaction between the nurse who did the fill and the nutrionalist. I had my fill done on thursday and have a telephone appointment with a nutritionalist on monday! Not very satisfactory TBH.

Still the fill was painless and I am now upto 3.5ml in my band (had a residual 1.5 ml), so feels like things are going in the right direction!

sorry that you don't feel the appointment or follow up was satisfactory, if you're still not happy after the telephone call I'd follow up for some further interaction until you are!

I'm with HPG and their didn't seem to be much interaction between the nurse who did the fill and the nutrionalist. I had my fill done on thursday and have a telephone appointment with a nutritionalist on monday! Not very satisfactory TBH.

Still the fill was painless and I am now upto 3.5ml in my band (had a residual 1.5 ml), so feels like things are going in the right direction!

Who is HPG? is it THG misstyped?
I used to go to the London clinic. Helena, the nurse was fine but only had a dietitian appointment once in 13 months (my last fill was a year ago).

Hi guys

Anybody knows here what the risks are for a band fill/defill?
I have been avoiding them since I heard of so much problems (punctures and infections and getting too tight).
Do you need a SERIOUS reason to have a fill????
I have been thinking about one for a while now, but two of my band fills two years ago ended up in emergency defills.

Hi guys

Anybody knows here what the risks are for a band fill/defill?
I have been avoiding them since I heard of so much problems (punctures and infections and getting too tight).
Do you need a SERIOUS reason to have a fill????
I have been thinking about one for a while now, but two of my band fills two years ago ended up in emergency defills.

You would only normally have a fill if one was needed - as a gauge its to do with how you eat, food you tolerate but also the level of restriction in the band. They suggest that if you're searching for food after a few hours (and that time gets shorter) with increased hunger and if you're not losing weight if you're following your providers guidelines that its potentially that a fill is needed.

But, if its overfilled then it will get too tight and which is rectified by a defill. But it can also just tighten on its own without a fill needing to lead to a defill

Depends what you are considering a "serious" reason. I'm not quite sure where you've read or are seeing the issues with punctures etc with fills. But if you're considering a fill etc or are concerned about whether you need one, then your provider are the people to approach.

Back