• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Gloucestershire

My experience of THG has been positive so far. I didn't use the driver service, but others did the day I was there and it seemed to go well. You just need to be aware that if you stop overnight, you will be leaving at 7am the next morning.

My op was on the Saturday so it didn't interfere with work. I had my first dietician appointment yesterday - 4 weeks post-op, Saturday again (was arranged before the op), and I also was advised of my first band-fill appointment for Droitwich hospital - 6 weeks post-op - prior to the op. Dietician arranged my next dietician appointment and 2nd band fill appointment for 4 weeks after the first band fill, this time at Dolan Park. Seems to be working like a well oiled machine.

Dietician did say that Mr Super prefers small band fills, but more often, rather than more drastic fills - so that may possibly be the reason for slower weight loss for some people than they would ideally like. But I am happy to loose a pound to two pounds per week.

Thing I am now most intrigued to find out, is where is my port. I cannot feel it...probably surrounded by too much excess padding at the moment :rolleyes:

Hi Iam also from Gloucestershire. I had my band fitted on 24th Feb. So far I have lost 4 stone.
My advice would be......do ALOT of research. I didn't find this site untill a week after my band and there was alot of things that I hadn't realised. I didn't know that losing weight after wls is still hard and willpower is still needed. I thought the weight would drop off and it would be minimum effort. How wrong I was! The band does not do it for you. It helps of course, but I could quite easily gain weight if I wasn't careful. Having said that, it is the best thing I've ever done and being 4 stone lighter is fantastic!
I went with THG too. The fills and consultations are at the Bristol clinic and the surgery is at Dolan park. The pick up service is great. THG has it's pro's and con's but I'm sure that all the wls providers do.
My band surgeon was Mr Sigursson who gave me a small band with 4 mls in to start with. I have had problems with my port, it is twisted which makes for lengthy and sometimes painful fills. Aparently Mr Sigurdsson has stopped stitching the ports down and is using a mesh, which is not good for me! (according to my fill nurse).
Over all I would say if you have done the research and are ready to make big changes in your life then go for it! At least with the band, if you really don't like it, you could have it removed.
Good luck xxxx

Thank you both for your messages. I know it will be very hard but i guess what re-assures me with the band is the fact that when I feel like **** and want to eat badly, it will stop me from eating the volume i am currently eating when I binge... I am just wondering if i could manage without telling anyone... well except my boyfriend. I still have not told him, I am scared. I know what he will do and say.. he will say that I am perfect and that he loves me the way I am then he will worry about the surgery until I get it done...I am really grateful I find this forum, it helps me a bit like a therapy without the bill ha ha, but seriously I feel hope which i did not months ago, I have been reading so much about all the advices and tips to help along the journey.

Hi miserable, i had sleeve gastrectomy with Healthier Weight 18 months ago. they have been fantastic with me. Everyone really friendly and no hard sell!!!
I know that HW do a 2 yr aftercare with include unlimited adjustments and that they also have a 24hr emergency no you can call if you have any problems. i would definately recommend them.
hope this helps, good luck in your quest
donna xx

Got 1st appoitment on 28th August in Bristol... OMG i am not sure if i am exited or scared... both. Openned up to my other half well more breaking down in front of him. Bless him he had no idea how much i hate myself and how unhappy with myself i am. He does not think i should put myself at risk with unescessary surgery but i just think i need to do something drastic to change my life and not let food rules my life anymore... I hope i can do it though! I am already trying to chew and chew and chew and take smaller bite so hard i could not believe. How do you turn 20 years of bad habit in few months... Anyway will see how it goes. Hope everyone is well xx

Got 1st appoitment on 28th August in Bristol... OMG i am not sure if i am exited or scared... both. Openned up to my other half well more breaking down in front of him. Bless him he had no idea how much i hate myself and how unhappy with myself i am. He does not think i should put myself at risk with unescessary surgery but i just think i need to do something drastic to change my life and not let food rules my life anymore... I hope i can do it though! I am already trying to chew and chew and chew and take smaller bite so hard i could not believe. How do you turn 20 years of bad habit in few months... Anyway will see how it goes. Hope everyone is well xx
I did the tears and honesty with my oh too, embarrassing but necessary!
My feelings on the risk of surgery are...millions of people have surgery everyday and are fine. Also life is too short to worry about dying during surgery, if you worried about the risk in every situation you would never leave the house! It's probably more of a risk to your health staying overweight long term.
It's funny, when i first went to the Bristol clinic I thought it was really intimidating and posh. But after having been several times I don't feel that at all. I have spent many a half hour in the reception listening to the receptionest gassing on the phone to her friends! It's not posh at all!
Oh and take plenty of change for the parking meter. it's quite expensive and runs out really quick!
xxx

Thanks Miss Hungry I really appreciate all your support! Do you ever meet up with people like you are from Gloucestershire, is there any group support?

Hi, Just out of curiosity, have you tried to get this on the NHS?( If someone else has asked this & I missed it, apologies.) I don't know your circumstances or if you have tried this route, but, if not it is worth trying before you take out a risky loan. Your doctor would advise the likelihood of you being accepted. If not, good luck with your private appointment :)

Miserable, welcome to the site. Reversing eating habits is not an easy thing to do, it would be probably easier to learn to how to talk backwards!

I hadmy band fitted 5 weeks ago and I am still learning how to chew, you certainly know straight away when you not done it correctly or have taken a too bigger mouthful. The first two weeks after surgery you really need to look after yourself, the post op recovery period is important.

I delayed my surgery for 6 months so i could diet, shrink my liver and get my mind in the right frame. I told only a few people outside of my family but my boss has been very supportive, which suprised me and has made it easier being back at work. The toughest and most critical person is still myself and hopefully that will change as i settle into the band and learn to work with it.

I dont normally blog, use Facebook or Twitter but I love WLS because everyone here understands where you are coming from, they have walked that mile in my shoes so when they give advice and support I know how real it is.

Good luck with your journey, keep us updated with how it is all going along for you.

Right third try lucky, I will get this post published...
NHS is a no no as my bmi is 37. My gp was a heartless man... I went to see him to say I am unhappy about my weight and would like advice on what to do. He weighed me and i burst into tears as i realised i was half a stone heavier than i thought. his reply was: "Well what did you think was going to happen by coming to see me that i had a magic wand?!" i could have slapped him! I replied well you are my doctor, i am worried about my health and if i can't come to you who can i turned to? i left his office crushed, there was no other word, i was crushed to the ground and it takes a lot to crush me! I have been through a lot!!! so I am dead set on getting this surgery done, once i make a descision there is no going back... Loan wise went to the bank and it is not as bad as i thought, 8.9% so it is like £29 a month... thinking about how much money i will save on take away etc... as i won;t be able to eat them for a long while, i think the band will pay for itself in like 4 or so years... So need to get my other half on side now and get his support. He loves me but does not understand the constant psycholagical battle I go through... and I get so defensive about it and when i do I shut down... but hopefully he will come round eventually... well i hope. So that was me for today. Ah yes forgot, got the welcome pack from THG today so need to read through this... still scared and exited at the same time... keep me posted on progress as i soooo rely on your experience advice and support cos for now you are my only real support. xxx

First appoitment got delayed to the 10th September :( but it's only two weeks. I want this done sooo much i hope everything will go well :)

Hi,
I am also grom Gloucestershire. I had a bypass done 17 months ago. 13 stone of weight gone and I feel great! I was lucky in that the NHS covered me. My BMI was 49 but I understand that if I applied now I wouldnt get it! Good luck with your appointment.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Right third try lucky, I will get this post published...
NHS is a no no as my bmi is 37. My gp was a heartless man... I went to see him to say I am unhappy about my weight and would like advice on what to do. He weighed me and i burst into tears as i realised i was half a stone heavier than i thought. his reply was: "Well what did you think was going to happen by coming to see me that i had a magic wand?!" i could have slapped him! I replied well you are my doctor, i am worried about my health and if i can't come to you who can i turned to? i left his office crushed, there was no other word, i was crushed to the ground and it takes a lot to crush me! I have been through a lot!!! so I am dead set on getting this surgery done, once i make a descision there is no going back... Loan wise went to the bank and it is not as bad as i thought, 8.9% so it is like £29 a month... thinking about how much money i will save on take away etc... as i won;t be able to eat them for a long while, i think the band will pay for itself in like 4 or so years... So need to get my other half on side now and get his support. He loves me but does not understand the constant psycholagical battle I go through... and I get so defensive about it and when i do I shut down... but hopefully he will come round eventually... well i hope. So that was me for today. Ah yes forgot, got the welcome pack from THG today so need to read through this... still scared and exited at the same time... keep me posted on progress as i soooo rely on your experience advice and support cos for now you are my only real support. xxx
God, your GP sounds awful. What a heartless uncaring person.
£29 per month! How long would you have to pay it off for, just out of interest? I pay £150 per month for 5 years for mine. That's with Lloyds tsb.
I didn't get the reaction I hoped for from my gp too. Good luck with your next step. Once you have the money side sorted, the rest goes by in a whip!

I'm so lucky, my G.P. has been really supportive. Sounds like you need a new G.P.
My P.C.T. doesn't perform WLS at all so the only route was private. Paying it back has been a struggle but it was absolutely THE best decision of my life.
Keep going as the rewards are worth it. Best of luck and lots of love and hugs x

Heya everyone, yeah someone else from gloucestershire! I wonder if there is a support group going? hummm must look. Sorry £29 is the interest a month, on a £250 repayment a month for 3 years. I might have to go for 5 years and lower the monthly payment.... but the good news is I am getting my OH on side! yeah... he even said don't worry about the money we will cope plus been looking at everything, with the money we will save on food it will pay for itself! I am going for it so ready and cannot wait! I even prepared a list of (little) lies to cover my situation... i don't want anyone to know! My OH and you are going to be my support system, if you wish to accept the mission that is!:) the only one i am worried about is my parents! they would go mental if they knew my project! and we like champagne a lot and my mum always looks forward to have me around so she can have a glass or two... so all of a suden i don't drink it anymore my mum will wonder... any little white lies suggestions send it my way. And PS: 13 stone in 17 months, you must AMAIZING! SO chuffed for you :)

Mr Super my consultant said that the band wouldn't sop me having the odd small glass of champagne. I rarely drink, but when I do, champagne is my preference. I know I don't have very much restriction at the moment, but I had a glass at the weekend without any problems. It may become more difficult as the restriction increase, but I am happy either way. The weight loss and improving health far outweighs the desire for bubbles.

Not all my family and friends know what I have done - as certain ones would be critical. But every person who does know is very supportive. So its great that you have your OH and the rest of us behind you. Everyone on here appreciates what you are going through and supports you ... :cool:

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well. Miss Hungry I just realise that your surgeon is the one i have an appointment with on 10th September... Would you mind telling me how was he with you? and to anyone, what must have questions i must ask when going there for my 1st appoitment, hoping to get a date in October for a gastric band... have lots of questions but want to make sure i am not forgetting anything :) I love this website and want to thank everyone for all the help advice and experiences.

Hi and welcome i hope you find all the help you need on this site.

Love Marie. xox

:welcome2:

thanks Marie

Back