• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from the South East :)

Glorfindel

Six Month Post Op
Hi all,

I'm new here - well, I found it a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking a bit, and finally decided to sign up now that things are moving ahead with me.

My appointment for gastric bypass surgery is booked in for the 6th November. I thought I would be more nervous, but the surgeon (Mr. Mannur) and the head bariatric nurse (Mary Casey) have really put me at ease and I have every confidence in them :).

I've been doing so much research these past few months on the ops, the after life of the ops and the surgeon himself and all seems ok to me, but I feel like I can't stop researching now, and find the posts here extremely interesting.

About myself - well I'm Hannah, I'm 23. I've been overweight for about 7 years, the past four years at my worst, got up to over 23 stone, and managed to loose just under five stone late last year (WW) but since then have been yo-yoing and seem to have lost all willpower. Currently I'm 18 stone 9 lbs (262 lbs) and only 5'2, I believe my BMI is 48.1ish.

Was offered it on NHS, but decided to go private mostly due to wanting to be able to choose my surgeon. I hurt my back badly several years ago in a horse riding accident and my weight has now started to wear away at the cartilage and could cause serious damage.

I'm lucky to have amazing parents, equally amazing family and some friends I wouldn't give up for the world who are supporting me through this - I don't know where I would be right now without them. My wonderful grandmother has leant me the funds needed for me to pay her back over months.

Everyone just seemed so friendly here and I had to join
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

Hannah

Hi and welcome. I am moving your thread to the surgical weight loss section for support

Good luck
Irene xx

Hi Hanana,

:welcome2: to Minimins.

pinkyx

Hi Hannah! Welcome to a great website! :greenapple: I'm also from the South East and have my op the day after you on the 7th! Best of luck with it and do keep in touch!
Cuppa xx :553:

Hi Hannah and Welcome

Hi Hannah

I'm from the South East too... I'm meeting my GP for the first time tomorrow to discuss a gastric band.

I've only just started posting on the surgical boards but have been a member of mini's for a while & its a fabulous site with great people on it.

Good luck with your journey. xx

Welcome! My bypass is just 3 weeks after yours.

Hi & welcome. Have been a lurker too. What made you decide to go private , What surgeon have you chosen, which hospital will you use & how much did you pay?
Sorry for all the questions - have been referred on NHS but still deciding about private.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone! :)

Irene - Sorry for posting in the wrong place, thank you for moving the thread for me :).

Cuppacocoa - that is really interesting! Where are you having your op done?

Ditzeeblonde - good luck, I hope it all goes well :).

Stripeytop - I decided to go private because my GP told me it was a matter of waiting up to two years for the operation date. I decided my back couldn't wait that long and started to look in the private.

I chose Mr. Kesava Mannur - he has a very good reputation, everyone I spoke to or read about who had had the op with him were happy and he had a lot of experience under his belt and I've read time and time again that experience is very important with the operation.

I was going to have the surgery at Holly House - which is a little closer to me, but decided on Spire Roding in the end due to knowing the Spire name, checking both their websites and speaking to both of them over the phone, they also have nursing awards and just made me feel more comfortable - the head bariactric nurse (Mary Casey) was just lovely, helpful and she had the op herself by Mr. Mannur in February, which really put me at ease.

Spire Roding's price is £9,600.

Everyone else - thank you so much for your welcomes and messages of good luck :) I will keep you updated. I've joined two forums before now and this has definitely been the one that has made me feel at home - thank you!

Back