• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie in the house!

Yeul

Hi,

I'm Yeul, 30 and from the Netherlands.
Hope it's ok to post here, the Dutch support forums are very deserted compared to this forum.
Nearly all my life I've been overweight.
Tried all kinds of diets, most failed, some were successful but in the end I always gained back.
Currently I'm 96kg (15st 11lbs) and on my 155cm (5'1") frame that's quite a lot.
I used to weigh 120kg (18st 9lbs) though so I guess I did quite well but for 2 years now it has been extremely hard to lose weight.
I eventually went down to 78kg (12st 2lbs) but when my father died in November 2013 I gained a lot of weight again.
As you can all imagine, I'm very fed up with being overweight and want to lose weight for my health.
After some research I've decided I want a gastric sleeve so I can go down to 53kg (8st 2lbs) which is a healthy weight for me.
I'm hoping to hear from the local Bariatric Centre soon and asked for an appointment with a surgeon and dietician.
Hopefully my insurance covers this, I meet several of their requirements such as a bmi over 40, asthma, etc.
I am however afraid they will deny me because of my previous mental health history of depression and anxiety, something I failed to find any information about :(
My depression and anxiety has been under control for a while now with medication and therapy so I hope they will say yes to the OP.
Sorry if it's been tldr :cool:

Welcome to a fab site and best wishes with your journey. Stay strong and let us know how it all goes x

Good luck on ur journey. I think a lot of us have struggled with depression, mine personaly was mainly due to my weight. I think they should look favourably on u looking for surgery as it may help ur mental health in the long run. Good luck x

Hello yeul , its great to cyber meet people from all over our blue globe ! Ive seen people on here from france, spain , us, and everywhere else in between !good luck on your journey to a better, smaller healthier you

Welcome and good luck with your journey x

Welcome Yeul to an interesting site with lots of stories, help and advice along with support :)

Last edited:
Hello! I understand your concern with the psych aspect of the process. I have just recently started on anti-depression and anxiety meds. In part, I think, because I quit smoking. I am nervous about my psych evaluation that is coming up next week.

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for the warm welcome :)
Sorry for replying so late, been so busy lately.
Next week I'll be having my first general info meeting at the clinic and they will make a an appointment for the screening after that. So excited!

Yeul
I have had anxiety for a while and it is controlled in the main and it hasnt prevented me from progressing within the UK NHS - obviously you will be evalauted in line with your health insurance guidance - but I know plenty of people who have had mental health issues (from slight to very comprehensive) and it does not, it itself, mean they are not considered as far as I have seen. I wish you the very best of luck

Thank you Debs.
In the Netherlands, the health insurance will cover the costs when you have a bmi of 40+ or 35+ with 2 illnesses like diabetes and heart problems.
Our system is very different from the NHS though.
Most of the time the doctors and surgeons are willing to help but getting the green light from the insurance company is the harder part.
I see no real reason why they should decline though.
Currently my depression and anxiety are very much under control which I think means it won't present any issues when it comes to getting past the screening, hopefully.
Guess I'll hear in a few weeks time if I can have the surgery, and I'm trying not to worry about it too much :rolleyes:

Back