• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The story so far

ItsmePaula

Hi all

My name is Paula and I am in Essex.. I am an Inclusion Mentor (Behaviour/Learning/Anxiety/Anger etc)at a secondary school..

Over the years I've been expanding and I would say the last 10 have been the worst. I was always an active child in fact over active. I always had a good appetite but because I was always on the go my weight never started to bother until I was around 16. I found a nice job in a bakery and was given all the yummy cakes to take home. I gradually put on the weight and at 18 was a size 18. At that time you could not get bigger clothes so I had to diet. I cut back and soon lost the weight and kept it off until my first born. The story goes down hill from there. I had another baby and each time I put on the weight and even though I was fit and healthy I was really running on nerves. I was eating to compensate, eating my pain as it were. This phrase was soon to become by go to excuse.

Ok so skipping now to 2006, my relationship broke down and I moved to where I am now. This was the time when I really started to abuse food. I began secret eating, binge eating, not eating, eating, starving, over eating. I was in a terrible state with food. I had lost my drive, I became to loathe it to the point where I wouldn't cook. I ate out or ready meals and gained so many wretched habits that I still have today.

As I got bigger so my confidence diminished and it became exhausting wearing the 'happy' mask we all wear to prove we have it handled. I went to the doctors as I had hurt my arm, something snapped I broke down and let everything out.. How humiliated was I. I was always the strong one, the go to girl. Now I need help and a lot of help. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, that's OK I can handle it.. Of course! Who was my one and only friend.. Yes you have it!!! Food..

So here I am at my highest weight. On and off I am been considering weight loss surgery. Then gasping at the thought if guilt and cheating my way, giving up. You know how it goes. I finally made a decision to get help.

I have contacted 3 groups so far The Hospital Group - Ramsey Health - Spire Health.

Good luck! I bet you're excited to be at the start of this new journey! I'm at the start too, I've had my first consultation and have my fingers crossed for an end of July date (just have to clear it with work).

I tried to contact Ramsay health too but they never responded to me! Hopefully you get a response from them haha. I decided to go abroad in the end

Hello and welcome I hope you find this forum as helpful as I have and wish you good luck in your journey x

Welcome!!!!

Don't ever think your cheating!! It is not an easy descion or an easy ride!! The only thing your cheating is death. Xxx

I have the same problem with food, so connected to my emotions.

I'm having Gastric Bypass surgery on Saturday, I'm hoping it will break the vicious circle I've been going through my whole life.

Good luck with your journey & my advise would be to make sure you are happy with the package you choose & what kind of aftercare they offer.

Good luck! I bet you're excited to be at the start of this new journey! I'm at the start too, I've had my first consultation and have my fingers crossed for an end of July date (just have to clear it with work).

I tried to contact Ramsay health too but they never responded to me! Hopefully you get a response from them haha. I decided to go abroad in the end

Oh My Ramsey Health was awful I will elaborate a little more. I will be having my surgery also middle july...

I have the same problem with food, so connected to my emotions.

I'm having Gastric Bypass surgery on Saturday, I'm hoping it will break the vicious circle I've been going through my whole life.

Good luck with your journey & my advise would be to make sure you are happy with the package you choose & what kind of aftercare they offer.

Andy good luck with tomorrow - see you on the flip side and let me know how that goes.

I am from Essex too and have my op booked with healthier weight (they do best after care package) - you can opt for 5 yrs cover for an extra £300. They have been amazing so far re communication plus my friend had her op with them 5 weeks ago and her experience has been amazing.

Good luck hun, I am nervous but excited for my op. I need to do something, as I cant lose and maintain it on my own - need some help :)

Xxx

Oh My Ramsey Health was awful I will elaborate a little more. I will be having my surgery also middle july...

Please don't elaborate, Weight Loss Surgery providers can and do read the forum. As a support forum we don't want to be associated with naming and shaming or promoting one provider over another.

Thank you.

I am from Essex too and have my op booked with healthier weight (they do best after care package) - you can opt for 5 yrs cover for an extra £300. They have been amazing so far re communication plus my friend had her op with them 5 weeks ago and her experience has been amazing.

Good luck hun, I am nervous but excited for my op. I need to do something, as I cant lose and maintain it on my own - need some help :)

Xxx

Hi Nicky, I've seen a few surgeons and they have all said the same. When you get a to certain weight diets don't work and that's why we yo yo so much. When is your operation?

Hi Nicky,

As a HT I know how hard you wrk and have total respect for all you do.

I have had phone consultations with Nuffield and Beneden and a f2f with THG.

Having weighed up all my options I have gone for a band with THG.

Here's my experience so far with THG.

f2f at Newcastle (2wks ago)

* staff very helpful and able to answer all my questions (there were lots lol ). Because I'd already decided on a band I was able to book my surgery date on the day. I was able to pick the date I wanted to fit in with school hols and pick my surgeon Paul Super. I paid a £500 deposit. I opted for the 4yr package which came in at £5950.

* Today I received a call from the nurse to say she had written to my gp for info on my pain meds and blood pressure history ( it was a little high on the f2f day). She introduced herself and we had a nice chat and she let me know she is the one who will be doing my fills.

Surgery date is 21st July so really can't wait.

Hope you get replies to your requests soon.

Good luck

Tammy

Last edited:
Hi Nicky, I've seen a few surgeons and they have all said the same. When you get a to certain weight diets don't work and that's why we yo yo so much. When is your operation?

Booked in for the 18th of July ...bit nervous but just because I am a smoker and need to give up before op for as long as pos. I am abroad for 10 days and know I will want to smoke but that means I will only give up for 2 weeks before op and dont know if thats enough :(

Xx

Hi all

My name is Paula and I am in Essex.. I am an Inclusion Mentor (Behaviour/Learning/Anxiety/Anger etc)at a secondary school..

Over the years I've been expanding and I would say the last 10 have been the worst. I was always an active child in fact over active. I always had a good appetite but because I was always on the go my weight never started to bother until I was around 16. I found a nice job in a bakery and was given all the yummy cakes to take home. I gradually put on the weight and at 18 was a size 18. At that time you could not get bigger clothes so I had to diet. I cut back and soon lost the weight and kept it off until my first born. The story goes down hill from there. I had another baby and each time I put on the weight and even though I was fit and healthy I was really running on nerves. I was eating to compensate, eating my pain as it were. This phrase was soon to become by go to excuse.

Ok so skipping now to 2006, my relationship broke down and I moved to where I am now. This was the time when I really started to abuse food. I began secret eating, binge eating, not eating, eating, starving, over eating. I was in a terrible state with food. I had lost my drive, I became to loathe it to the point where I wouldn't cook. I ate out or ready meals and gained so many wretched habits that I still have today.

As I got bigger so my confidence diminished and it became exhausting wearing the 'happy' mask we all wear to prove we have it handled. I went to the doctors as I had hurt my arm, something snapped I broke down and let everything out.. How humiliated was I. I was always the strong one, the go to girl. Now I need help and a lot of help. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, that's OK I can handle it.. Of course! Who was my one and only friend.. Yes you have it!!! Food..

So here I am at my highest weight. On and off I am been considering weight loss surgery. Then gasping at the thought if guilt and cheating my way, giving up. You know how it goes. I finally made a decision to get help.

I have contacted 3 groups so far The Hospital Group - Ramsey Health - Spire Health.
Would suggest if you haven't already then you get help for the emotional issues before paying out for WLS. With the NHS you have to go through a long work up, including seeing a psychologist, as they need to make sure you have a good handle on your emotional eating. What support did your GP offer? WLS is only a tool to help you. It won't solve the problem on its own.

Hi Sam thanks for the reply. I did not go through my GP, I went directly to private organisations. This is not something I am going into lightly and I understand a lot about mental status. This is totally not a cosmetic make over for me or the fact that I am getting someone to do it for me. As with every weight loss journey it's hard work, physically and mentally.

I have weighed up all my pro's, cons, ins and outs. For me getting the surgery is a second chance, I am giving myself a gift, a 'tool' I know that without the surgery, I will continue to get bigger and end up pretty much end up in a worse place that I am now. Mentally I don't think I will know whats on the road ahead as everyone's journey is different. But this is my journey which I plan to be on forever.
I understand what you are saying about the mental help. I have seen a therapist in the past. This did help me greatly . I am due to see my doctor about medication and also I will book in to see my mind team. With or without the therapist I am at a point now where diets do not work for me. This is me taking back control.

Thank you for the advice it never even crossed my mind to speak to my mind team about this. It will be another useful tool to help me.

Booked in for the 18th of July ...bit nervous but just because I am a smoker and need to give up before op for as long as pos. I am abroad for 10 days and know I will want to smoke but that means I will only give up for 2 weeks before op and dont know if thats enough :(

Xx

Nicky why don't you speak to your GP and ask for some help. Maybe if you go now it will help with your non smoking long term. Also think about what you want more? To Smoke or to be healthy? It's a huge step you are taking already.

Back