• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie looking for spatz balloon advice

elainew1973

Hi,

I'm seriously considering having a spatz gastric balloon to try & lose 4-5 stones. Looking to have any advice about this procedure if any of you ladies or gents have had the balloon.

Cheers

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Please dont see this as a negative, it is my experience....

had a balloon fitted about 3 yrs ago being awake whilst they inserted it was horrific 4 me as i kept reaching(like u do when being sick) during insurtion hence having had kids my bladder gave way. next i left clinic keeping 60ml of water down feeling sick nausea this continued and continued restriction nothing within days i was eating twix for energy then i progressed to toast not just one mind 5 or 6 slices, takeaways everything normal really still feeling awfully sick but not actually being, next i had terrible stinking "man burps" , after 6 weeks i returned to clinic and had it removed 5grand down the pan.
I am having a band in a few weeks since talking about the balloon people have said i bet u felt sea sick having it sloshing around inside u and the reason i could eat so much is because the balloon isnt a ridgid object it will dent as the food goes in. and it all seemed clear. I personally dont think i was ready to undertake the changes involved in WLS and this is why i never worked with it. they keep telling you it is a tool and i never fully understood what they meant i only heard "eat less get thin" goodluck with your jouney please dont take my experience to heart as im sure there are many hundreds of successful ballooners out there.
Good luck with ur reasearch:)

There is a lady on here who has had the spatz and is doing well with it I believe. I've got the normal 6 months one, but my pscy is considering a second balloon to give me more time to get into good permanent habits. You do have to work with it and be committed to having a healthy lifestyle - as you would with the band and bp, etc. I don't think I'll lose the amount of weight that I've been dreaming of but any weight loss will be welcome - as long as I can keep it off!!! I'm definitely losing inches if not stones.

Also, I had similar experience to Sam in that I was wretching terribly when they were trying to get the balloon down - took them three goes - it was about the size/girth of a tampax with applicator! Unfortunately you have to be awake to make the swallow - I'd rather have been unconscious!

Back