• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spatz balloon

Nicola1

on my way
Hi all, i'm new to this site and getting a little lost! I'm having a Spatz balloon in 6 days time and can't wait ?
Done all the yoyo diets and needed a little extra help, didn't fancy surgery due to risks involved so opted for the least invasive procedure.
Any other Spatz ballooners out there?

Hi and good luck. I decided against the Spatz balloon but read lots of good things about it, hope it all goes well for you:)

Best of luck to you :)

good luck my friend had the balloon and lost loads of weight but is was a prequel for sleeve surgery so they could operate safely xx

Thanks all, getting anxious and excited at the same time, bought a mountain bike today to aid weightloss and fitness. BMI is big enough for a gastric bypass but i have opted for the less risky option ( having worked with surgeons for years, i'm aware of the mistakes we humans make )
Have no fixed weight target but a goal is to be able to walk in newlook and not have to walk to the back of the shop to the inspire section, oh and be able to just walk into river island and pick up a pair of jeans that'll go up past my thighs!!!
all weightloss will be a bonus 4-5 stone would be heaven :D

Change of lifestyle has begun, ordered bikes for me and hubby to go riding, lots of areas by me to go but never utilised them ( working shifts hasn't helped ) but going to make time from now on. 4 days and counting now till the big day, got 2 weeks off work after so hopefully will be feeling back to normal to go back to work, and hopefully several pounds lighter ?.
I admire all you that have had more drastic surgery and hopefully I'll be on the losers bench soon x

Hi Nicola, good luck with the balloon - I'm just wondering what the difference is with the Spatz balloon to a normal bog standard one? My therapist has recommended a balloon in the future to give me some indication of how I'll deal with restriction before I go ahead with surgery. Didn't know that there could be different types.

hi novamay, yes there are different types but not many, there's air filled and saline filled balloons. the relatively new spatz balloon is saline filled and the only one that can stay in the stomach for a year allowing plenty of time to adjust eating habbits. after 6 months post insertion they add saline to the balloon by endoscopy, increasing it's size to ensure appetite remains depressed. from what i can gather about failed dieters with the balloon is that they stated that they were only just getting used to portion sizes when the balloon had to come out, and then without support went back to eating their "normal" sized portions, henced some gained weight back.
I've opted for this as it is the least invasive form of procedure, no cuts, no sutures etc, recovery time faster, home 2hrs post procedure
let me know what you decide and good luck x

Good luck Hun ;)

Good luck Hun ;) hope u have a great weight loss :)

Well, what a first week, first 2 days couldn't even swallow saliva, felt so drained, no energy to do anything, gradually increasing intake and today has been the first day where I haven't vomited so I have finally turned the corner. Acid indigestion has also been a problem but have finally got on top of that, not to impressed with omeprazole but rennie's are my new best friends lol. Went for checkup today u&e's are normal and lost total 11lb first week, this makes for a good head start, clothes feel a lot more comfortable now and hopefully will be falling off me soon x

Hi Nicola, thanks for the update. Well done on the weight loss so far.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but can you actually feel the balloon inside? Does it make you feel uncomfortable and bloated? Did you have indigestion before the balloon or is it a side effect of the object being in your stomach?

Also, how long did you stay in hospital?

novamay said:
Hi Nicola, thanks for the update. Well done on the weight loss so far.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but can you actually feel the balloon inside? Does it make you feel uncomfortable and bloated? Did you have indigestion before the balloon or is it a side effect of the object being in your stomach?

Also, how long did you stay in hospital?

Ask any questions you like and I'll answer them honestly, first week felt very bloated and uncomfortable but I can't really feel the balloon, just get full very quickly, which is what I need to re-educate my brain to normal portion sizes.
Not really had indigestion before but haven't had any rennie today so even that's getting betting.
Was only in hospital for a total 2hrs post procedure. Was sedated but no general anaesthetic, went home to bed though.
Day 9 today and must say feel back to my normal self just get tired after any exertion. I know someone who had the balloon on Friday and was back in work on Monday so just think I was a little unlucky.

Thanks Nicola. I was under the impression that you had to stay in hospital for a few days until the sickness went and you could hold down liquids, etc but perhaps they've improved on technique since I read that.

Well done on a successful first week:) Hope you are soon feeling 100% and seeing the weight fall off!

Back