• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from a newbie xxx

tjwk

Hello,
I have had a referral from my gp for a gastric banding on the nhs, at Derby royal infermary, My appointment came and its on Monday 18th August 08.....so only a week away.

I have been overweight as far back as I can remember, I also have an underactive thyroid. As far as weight goes, I am now at 22st 10lbs:cry:
And yes I have done the ww, sw cd etc etc, even had the slimming pills, nothing seems to help!
So my doctor finally gave into sending a referral off for me.
We have history of heart disease in my maternal side of family, of which where all obese, I just want a new start, to spend more of my life with my children and hubby!
If anyone has anything to tell me please do......Im getting nervous now, thinking that this could be the start of a brand new chapter in my life!

Ps:to you who have had the band, what is the recovery time? And do you know if theres a set time on how long it is before we can fly(got hols booked for nov 08) xxxxx

Hi Vicky and welcome to minis.
I was banded 4 weeks ago today! Recovery from the op is different for us all, but I was back out and about driving within a week, but probably did not feel back to normal for about 2 weeks I guess. Re the flying, just check with your surgeon at your appointment next week, but if you are hoping to have the band on the nhs and you have only just got your referral appointment, you may not have had your op by then - have you had your funding confirmed??
It is an exciting journey you are embarking on - but time flies and you will be on the losing side before you know it. Keep posting to let us all know your progress x

Hi ali x
Re:the funding, No I didnt know how to do anything about it, I just assumed the doctor organised it or the surgeon? I have not heard nothing about it, I hope I can get it now, I'm quite excited xxxx

check at your appointment Vicky - they will know about the funding, I am not sure how this works as I went private, but someone will know and will pop on to tell you soon. If you have not looked already, my thread has my story from referral to now, so all the details of how i felt etc - have a read, it may help - secret diary of a gastric bander!
Lots of luck with your journey - make sure you write and questions down you have for your appointment next week - I know I needed mine and would have forgotten to ask loads. If I can help with anything, just shout, I am on here most days x

Hi Vicky,

Welcome to mini's!

I also had a band 4 weeks ago. My experience in terms of recovery is pretty similar to Ali's. I was totally back to normal after 2 weeks, but really felt pretty ok after 5 or 6 days.

On the subject of flying, I think I would be fine flying now, 4 weeks after the surgery. The only challenge these days is eating the right things and when you are on the move, finding quick easy meals can be difficult (eg, getting lunch on a long journey from a service station: reeeeeeally hard to find something suitable!). The other thing to remember is that if you are flying for longer than 4 hours, you'll need to have the band aspirated prior to flying so you'll need to make sure you get that set up well in advance.

Hope that helps!
Alice xx

The other thing to remember is that if you are flying for longer than 4 hours, you'll need to have the band aspirated prior to flying so you'll need to make sure you get that set up well in advance.

Alice xx

OOhhh Alice, i didn't know that one!!

Yep Ali - I think it's to do with the cabin pressure... the risk is it could get too tight and you can't swallow anything... at least that's what I was told!

Hi Vicky
Welcome to Minis, you will get all the help you need on here, all your fellow banders are a great help.

Nic x

Hi peeps....Just phoned my clinic regarding flying....Flying with a band is fine whatever flight time your on . U just are best not to eat as the band will inflate slightly and the stomach tissue around it will swell too. Drinking water is the only option so preparation in advance is key. ie have breakfast a few hours before flying on a short flight or for a very long haul flight best not to eat at all and only liquids until u land if u can manage it saves any problems if u were to feel ill. My nurse just told me that as i have a 11cm band my first fill would not cause me any problems or would the 2nd as the restriction will only be at a minimum but as i get to the 3rd or 4th etc it maybe that the restriction could cause me a bit of trouble if i ate on a Long haul flight so i could either have a bit of fluid removed ( which they do not recommend unless i am already having problems ) or just be good and only drink water on a flight....i'll take the latter ha ha ! One thing i did also ask is ...Travel Insurance....probably best to tell them in advance too....even if u feel totally well...hopefully the premiums wouldn't be that much higher ...better to be safe than sorry if did need help abroad etc!!
Ooh can't wait to go away and be a bit slimmer in the sun !! Not quite a bikini bod yet !! but ....Getting there !!!!!!!!!!!! xxxx

All travel insurance have a standard set of questions, one of which is have you received in-patient treatment in the last 6 months, and have you had surgery of any kind in the last x months, so you'd have to declare it anyway. Be prepared, it might be more than just a little increase to premiums. A while back I was quoted over £1000 for 2 weeks cover :(

Ouch!! Thanks for that info Livvy and Shell - really useful x

Hmmm this is one of the things I find really difficult about the band and the advice we get. I know we all have had our bands done in different places so the advice is going to be different - but I wasn't expecting it to be so very different!

I've been told that if I fly for longer than 4 hours it is absolutely essential to get my band aspirated. I was told this at my pre-op consultation, it was in the literature they gave me about the band, and the nurses told me while I was in hospital at least 3 times! They made it seem like it was absolutely essential to do this.

I guess we will each just go along with the advice our own centre has given us... It probably means it doesn't matter either way! lol

It's just frustrating!

Alice xx

Hi, i'm glad this has been mentioned as I've not been told anything regarding flying. I was going to see if I could get a week of sun at the end of the year so i'll be asking some questions when I see my surgeon at the end of the month!!!

Thanks xx

PS Hello Vicky and good luck!

Glad to help you Pam xxxx

Well I am going to sitlater and write out some questions incase I get a yes.....Fingers crossed, and im not fussed it i dont get it done b4 my holiday, just be grateful to get it done xxxxx

What to expect on Monday?

:cry:So I was sat here wondering what to expect at my first visit on Monday? I have been told I am going to see a dietician, a nurse and consiltant and should expect to be there for 2-3 hrs......Wat will the dietician do try n talk me out of it??? Or tell me to try something else????? I am really desperate for this to be done...........

Only 5 more days now......Feel really knotted in my tummy,I guess it because i got a feelingiwill be turned down...Dont know why...but isposse its best goin thinking its a no, then if its a yes you will all hear me shout! xx

hey stay positive Vicky - you have your appointment, and this is your chance to shine and make them understand exactly why having the band is important for you. Go with a positive attitude, and a list of any questions you may have and I am sure all will be fine xx

YAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idint get a NO, I got a YES from DIETICIAN, a YES from NURSE, and a .......................................................................YES from my surgeon! But they have to have a meeting to make sure everyone else agrees?!?! But he said he cant see it being a problem......Waiting list is 5 mths But I am sooooooo happy, I can finally get on with my life happily!

Back