• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie here, please help....

helen144

Im new here, I am wanting weight loss surgery but havnt decided which one to have yet, i also have not got the money to pay for it, I weigh 19 1/2 stone (I lost 3 stone) at weight watchers 18 months ago but have put some of that back on, I asked my GP whether i could have surgery on the NHS and she said no I have rang PALS and they sadi to go back and ask them to write to the PCT for funding.
Can anyone give me any advice about the best way forward and what will help and also how long this process will take.

Thankyou

Try another GP at your surgery...do you have any comorbities?

My advice is to keep pushing and don't give up if that is what you want.

hi helen if u have a bmi of 40 plus then u qualify for a referal, see another gp in your practice thats what i had 2 do 4 my referal

I was seen by a psychiatrist prior to surgery and they put me forward for further counselling for similar issues plus grief and CBT.

It nearly stopped the surgery going ahead as scheduled but the rest of the team thought it wise to continue.

So I will be seeing a head quack soon....

The painful joints will help your case.

Hey hun I too am seeing my dr next week I would defo go back to your drs and aske again and if he says no go to another keep trying and fight as hard as you can.

I too have depresion and at the moment im 21st iv tryed everything under the sun and it hasent worked to thats why im going to bypass. you seeing a Pyschologist will defo help everything does if you tell him how much this is geting you down hun.

Good luck with it and manchester are one of the best places to get it paid for so iv hurd thats what im hoping for anyway living here lol.

Hi helen and everhopeful what area of Manchester are you from. Im only up the road in Bolton. Good luck on yr journey look forward to following it.
HC

Hi everyone thankyou for your messages im having great difficulty in knowing how to use this website lol, keeps saying i cannot access the page, and how do i accept friends it wont allow me?

I am going back to my GP on monday bcos i can t cope with feeling like i do any more, as you probably know my weight consumes my life, its the first thing i think of when i wake up, i really hope they fund treatment, does anybody know how long the process takes?

Thanks everyonexxxx

Hi Helen, once you are referred you may need to be a bit careful about using your depression as your only base for WLS. You may have to see a phyciatrist or councillor at some stage and she might have a big say in whether you are suitable for the sugery. I know a women who had to wait almost 2 years because she was considered too depressed to deal with the challenges that this surgery brings. I understand how you feel most of us with weight problems suffer with the blues. This WLS consumes most of my day. I am so desperate to get my op but I am being very careful that I do not present myself as emotionally unstable because of my weight problem. Some one posted a list of weight related problem witch I have included here for you. maybe you can relate to this list and tell your GP. Liz said you are entitled to a referral once you have a BMI of 40 so you have that in your favour.

You might be able to relate to some of this list which was posted for me by another member. You could use it to help with your funding. maybe there are things on here that you didn't realize were related to you.

here is a list of Co Morbidities in respect of Weight Loss Surgery which may help in some way (could prob find the stats with a web search if needed - as well as some explanations of what some of them actually are! :))...
  1. Diabetes
  2. Neuropathy
  3. Hypertension
  4. Family history of heart attacks or heart disease, stroke, diabetes, heart attacks
  5. Thickened heart walls due to excessive weight & hypertension
  6. Intracranial hypertension (psudeotumor cerebra)
  7. Migraines/Headaches directly related to obesity/cranial hypertension
  8. Bells Palsy
  9. Cardiac Arrhythmias
  10. Ocular Hypertension
  11. High Cholesterol (hypercholesteralemia)
  12. Elevated Triglycerides
  13. Hypothyroidism
  14. Excess Testosterone
  15. Excess Facial & Body Hair (Hirsutism)
  16. Acne
  17. Rashes
  18. Chronic Skin Infections
  19. Excess Sweating
  20. Frequent yeast infections
  21. Hormonal Abnormalities
  22. Infertility
  23. Polycystic Ovaries
  24. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
  25. Amenorrhea related to obesity
  26. Incontinence related to obesity
  27. Lower Back Pain and muscle spasms
  28. Ankle/knees swelling
  29. Asthma or Shortness of breath upon exertion
  30. Decreased Exercise Tolerance
  31. Hip & joint
  32. Sleep apnoea & heavy snoring
  33. Acid Reflux
  34. Chronic Fatigue
  35. Fluid retention
  36. Gall Bladder removal due to weight and dieting
  37. Activity Intolerance; shortness of breath and severe fatigue even with minimal activity
  38. Decreased endurance limiting daily activities, including but not limited to; walking, housework, working, dressing, standing, getting up, bathing, sitting, travel
  39. Frequent constipation alternating with frequent diarrhoea
  40. Stress incontinence
  41. Fibrocystic breast disease
  42. Abdominal gas and frequent nausea
  43. Haemorrhoids
  44. History of colon polyps
  45. Varicose Veins
to psychological issues
  1. Lack of Self Esteem
  2. Social Rejection
  3. Loss of Job Potential
  4. Inappropriate Coping Strategies
  5. Anxiety
  6. Severe Depression due to weight, inability to exercise
  7. Depression related to difficulty coping with frequent failures at diet attempts
Hopefully you can get something from that list & it helps!

Back