• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie :)

danni776

Hello everyone
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Danni.
Been overweight basically all my life. Although now morbidly obese.
Lost 3 stone last year (but gained most of it again after a few weeks in America)
So cause my BMI ain't at 50(although it has been in the past) the NHS keeps turning me down for a gastric band.

So with help from my very supportive mother, I decided to go private, so on 6/9/2013 I'm having my consultation with mr Martin Richardson at Dolan park.

Hearing mixed reviews I don't know what to expect :confused:
I really hope all goes well and I can have the band as soon as possible.
Has anyone had mr Richardson or been treated at Dolan park? I would very much like any info you may have.

But if you can't answer my question, still pop in and say hello.
Look forward to talking to you all :) xx

I had a consultation with Mr Richardson at Dolan Park last week he seemed really nice and was easy to talk to as was Sally, I am opting for a gastric bypass and was offered a date that was 2 weeks away. Good luck :)

That's great news! And really quick. Do you have to do a pre-op diet or anything? Wish you the best of luck :) xx

That's great news! And really quick. Do you have to do a pre-op diet or anything? Wish you the best of luck :) xx

Yes they discuss the pre-op diet with you, I've not set a final date yet for the op yet as I need to sort out work stuff first, I'm thinking of November time.

Hey Danni!

Welcome to the forum.

I saw Mr Li in Manchester and had my band at Dolan Park, 2 weeks ago on Wednesday (also met Sally the nurse, who is lovely).

I did a pre op milk diet as I was just above 50 BMI. Two weeks of milk and yoghurt but I have survived and you literally just get into the zone. You may not even have to do that eating plan.

The surgical team at Dolan Park were so so lovely and I felt very safe.

This forum is also a blessing, read up as much as you can and everyone is so helpful.

I had no discomfort or nausea post op. I have had some pretty bad wind pain, up my left shoulder but it has resolved within a week and I took regular paracetamol. The funny thing is, I had more pain from straining the muscles in my left shoulder from moving myself about than anything else.

I am nearing the end of my two week post op liquid diet and looking forward to mush! (fish pie all arranged for wednesday tea time!)

Wishing you all the best with your journey :)

Hey!
Thanks for replying, I'm glad they were nice as I get bad anxiety at the thought of meeting new people (ESP people who are going to be fiddling with my inside :p)
Pre-op milk diet sounds pretty grim but I guess it will be worth it in the long run.

Glad to hear your op went so well, and that you will soon be having your fish pie :)

Good luck to the rest of your journey :) x

Hello, and welcome!

I was banded in august via THG, but as my BMI was above 50 I had my op at Leeds Nuffield rather than Dolan Park.

Danni - you say you have been big all your life, and are morbidly obese now and quickly put back on the 3stone you lost. I too have been big since a toddler due to my mum's over-nurturing. I did a great deal of research to decide on the right procedure for me. I had a bypass done privately eight weeks ago today. The prospect made me wobbly at first as it seemed such an extreme drastic option and 'final', but I quickly came to realise that was exactly what I needed - a final once-and-for-all solution to my chronic disease. I do not regret it at all ... It is permanent solution to a life-long condition. No disrespect at all whatsoever to bands and bandits (we are all together here, united in our WLS experiences, struggles and successes), and you must do exactly what is best for you ... But all I can share here is what I have already said - that for me knowing my procedure is as good as final, with no margin for discretion with fills etc has really been very liberating. As I say, this is just about me as a bypasser, and I cannot recommend too strongly just how important research is, as is taking advice from your provider at your consultation - if s/he recommends something else it'll be for a reason. Consider it as I think they can sometimes have great insight into the person, not least due to the volume of people they work with. For us it is once in a lifetime (hopefully), but to them it's all in a day's work, and they really know what they are talking about.

There are loads of people on here who have achieved amazing results with other forms of WLS. It is horses for courses.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. I look forward to hearing more in due course xxx

Thank you all for replying

i've done lots of research, and personally I would prefer a bypass I think it would be the best WLS for me. But that is really not an option, ive been turned down everywhere for a financing, due to not being a home owner.
If he does suggest a bypass I have one last hope, that my sister may go on a loan application as she is a home owner.
If not I will have to go for a band cause that's all me and my mum can afford. I really don't want to wait too long to save the money it will take me around 3-5 years and I have no idea where I will be by then.

so I guess I will just have to hope for the best and wait for Friday to see what the conclusion is.

xx

Hi and good luck. I had a bypass done in Gloucester almost 4 months ago and I love it, so sorry it might be a problem with the falling it. Hope you can get the best surgery for you. Keep us posted. X

Hi danni776,
Welcome.i hope all works out well for you.and that you can get the best treatment you need thats right for you.

Back