• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band booked 28th feb

I can honestly say since having my surgery on the 5th January 2014, the family shopping bill has halved, Its the best thing that I have ever done, it is not easy but as long as you have a supportive family and friends around you, you will do well. Congratulations on taking your first step towards weight loss.
Hi there Donna, you have lost so much weight since your op, well done, I hope I am the same, what liquids did you have post op, is ther any helpful tips you can offer to get the loss you have had.

Hi there, how are you feeling now.
Hi Carol :) i'm doing fine now, first few days were more uncomfortable than painful. Over a week out now and feeling better and better by the day :D Hope your doing well on your pre op (which is no fun) wishing you all the very best on your op we shall make room over here on the losers bench :D x x x Keep us posted on how your doing x

Hi there Donna, you have lost so much weight since your op, well done, I hope I am the same, what liquids did you have post op, is ther any helpful tips you can offer to get the loss you have had.

Just got back from Barcelona and Iv put on a bit of weight, probably because I was eating everything that I shouldn't but in smaller quantitates and too much wine, but your have to be naughty occasionally:).

I did not do the liquid diet, I found it too restrictive, I like food, I tried the NHS Royal Berkshire pre op gastric band diet, lost 12lbs before the op, lets you eat normal food; cereal for bfast, 4ozs protein for lunch with salad or veg, same for dinner, with milk, two pieces of fruit and one yogurt, its a good diet to follow.

Post op, I lived on milk and soups for the first two weeks, third week moved onto soft/pureed food, went to M&S stocked up on their prepack diet food, cottage pie, fish pie etc, really help. Also download the app My Fitness Pall, you can down load it on your phone or pc, (click on the blue square on my profile and it will take you to the link) its really helped me count calories, I aimed for 700 in the first few weeks, I am up to 1100 calories now. Hope that helps a little :)

Thanks Donna, good idea to get the low fat meals from m&s I will defo stock up on them. Will take on board how you have done it and will try and follow in your foot steps, glad you had a nice time in Barcelona, I jarred my back on Sunday I'm in agony, I managed my work yesterday but could not get out of bed this morning, lying in bed is so boring and I'm starving lol. Not long for me now I'm counting down the days.

I was starving on the liquid diet, was a killer but as soon as they did the operation, I never felt hunger for a few weeks, the dietician advised to eat/drink three meals a day even if not hungry and thats what I did. Sometimes now if I forget to eat, I only feel hungry at around 3ish, wished I was banded years ago now!!

Hope your back gets better soon, does not sound good x

Oh god to not feel hunger is a dream, hope I can go a few weeks without feeling any, got some pain pills and I am not in as much pain now, however I do feel rather drowsy probably because there is no food in my tum. Counting down the sleeps now 10 to go.

oooooh exciting carol not long now :) thanks for the great info donna. glad u had a lovey time away..... i agree this new way of eating is for life now so the odd treat especially while on holiday allowed, you'll soon be back - the 3lb :)

I want to scream "DON'T DO IT!" Seriously I do, but I know I can't. What I would advice is please, please, please do our homework and read the horror stories too, don't assume it will be plain sailing that none of it could happen to you. I hope nothing but a wonderful outcome for you, but please just look into how many of us are 1 and 2 years post op not a pound lighter. If you are not a big portion eater I doubt it is going to be of much help. I only wanted to hear the positives before hand, I only though those who have not lost are not following "the rules" well I followed every rule there was I gave it 100% and it did nothing but make me feel ill, have chest pains like a heart attack and I am not exaggerating, ugly raised red, purple keloid scars and £5,000 out of pocket. If I had another £5,000 it would be removed! No question.
Listen I am not trying to rain on your parade, just want you to walk through that door 100% certain you want it, and wish you the bet of luck, here is hoping you the one of the lucky ones :)

I cannot post links here but if you google "I hate my gastric band" you will read so many stories like mine of people who have had so many problems. It is worth a read of anyone considering this surgeries, time.

I cannot post links here but if you google "I hate my gastric band" you will read so many stories like mine of people who have had so many problems. It is worth a read of anyone considering this surgeries, time.

Thanks I will have a look, I've already paid for it and I'm sure this is the right procedure for me, I am a big portion eater, don't really graze just like loads at once. I will have a look at your google thing and do some reading, thanks

I've had my band for just over a month so it may be a bit early to make a judgement but so far so good. Since pre-op diet started 2nd jan i have lost 2 stone 3 llb. Loosing a pound every 4 ish days ATM. Bmi down from 44 to 39. Lost 33% of my excess weight (my target is a higher than most 29 bmi)
To be honest I'm still not 100% sure I've done the right thing. That can only be determined years from now if i can maintain my desired weight & achieve my lifestyle goals.
I am not a regular big portion eater, my diet was / is not unhealthy. I have lots of little bad eating habits that add up to one big problem.
I decided on the band because I had too much weight to loose for the balloon & i thought the bypass / sleeve too extreme for me (& it would have meant waiting as I would have needed to save more money) as I have 6 stone to loose plus i have maintained a previous 7 stone loss for 6 years (recently putting on 3 stone back with 2 pregnancies in 2 years)
The band is a tool (along with my fitness pal & my weight app & this forum) that helps me focus on the end goal & make good choices
It is very early days for me & i hope your experience proves positive like mine so far
I hope my ramblings are of some help!

band fitted 16.01.14

I've had my band for just over a month so it may be a bit early to make a judgement but so far so good. Since pre-op diet started 2nd jan i have lost 2 stone 3 llb. Loosing a pound every 4 ish days ATM. Bmi down from 44 to 39. Lost 33% of my excess weight (my target is a higher than most 29 bmi)
To be honest I'm still not 100% sure I've done the right thing. That can only be determined years from now if i can maintain my desired weight & achieve my lifestyle goals.
I am not a regular big portion eater, my diet was / is not unhealthy. I have lots of little bad eating habits that add up to one big problem.
I decided on the band because I had too much weight to loose for the balloon & i thought the bypass / sleeve too extreme for me (& it would have meant waiting as I would have needed to save more money) as I have 6 stone to loose plus i have maintained a previous 7 stone loss for 6 years (recently putting on 3 stone back with 2 pregnancies in 2 years)
The band is a tool (along with my fitness pal & my weight app & this forum) that helps me focus on the end goal & make good choices
It is very early days for me & i hope your experience proves positive like mine so far
I hope my ramblings are of some help!

band fitted 16.01.14

U sound very much like me and I would say the exact same:) well done on the 2st3lbs thats a great loss and I bet u feel better already! X

Hi there I've just joined the site so not sure on how to post - hope this works. I'm having my surgery on 20th feb. I'm 5 5 and 13 1/2 stone, so we're not too dissimilar. Be good to exchange views etc I'm nervous, but excited how about you?

Hi there, how have you been since your surgery, I had mine on the 28th feb, already starting to feel well.

Hi there I've just joined the site so not sure on how to post - hope this works. I'm having my surgery on 20th feb. I'm 5 5 and 13 1/2 stone, so we're not too dissimilar. Be good to exchange views etc I'm nervous, but excited how about you?

How did you get on Carol? make sure you rest up plenty xx

Hi Donna, I woke up from surgery in shock and couldn't breathe, had to have enebuliser and oxygen for a while after, but then felt ok, I was shocked at the wind pain, I felt like my chest was so tight as well. I am now feeling much better, the wind has settled down a fair bit now, I got a 10ml band with 4ml in it, this feels ok and I'm managing sufficient liquids, I need to go back to work tomorrow as I'm losing holidays that I can't afford to lose as I have a little boy with lots os school holidays to cover, I sit at a desk so I'm sure I will be fine, if I could I would have loved to have taken the full week off. How are you feeling Donna with your fill, I see you had to have a little taken back out, do you have enough restriction.

Back