• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

im just big boned

Hi all,

Got drs app wednesday to set the ball rolling for surgery
My current bmi is 43 and got the usual back and joint pains and pre diabetes
What are my chance with funding?
Im in the north west, in lancashire?
Thanks for reading
Sue xxx

Hi Sue
I'm from Morecambe I had DS Nov 11 I was turned down for surgery firstly then had to do all dietician again etc I had co morbidities though with sleep apnea, diabetes type 2, high cholesterol, high blood pressure as well as rheumatoid arthritis ,,,I know they have changed a lot of the criteria since mine and think they may send you on 12 week weight management course then refer you but I don't really know for sure so hopefully someone who does know will reply :) good luck take care xx

Hello and Welcome! :D

Funding seems to depend on the NHS PCT you have. xx

hi and welcome funding is no longer pct approved it is all nhs england now and they require the tier 3 programme i believe though thats not up and running everywhere yet

Just wanting to say hi welcome and good luck big boned :)

Try to be open minded x
I'm in the north east and it varies from just a few miles to the next bariatric hosp.

It was DS I had duodenal switch not sleeve but the weight has fallen off really i've had a few health problems which are still on going such as being anaemic all the time no energy, my bones have taken a real hit ive been told I have osteoporosis in whole of spine and both hips they have degenerated 25% in last 3 years so im not sure if its just how it would've been anyway or due to malabsorbtion which is what they suspect. I'm due to see a neurosurgeon end January to see if they can operate as I have 4 moved vertebrae (spondyliothesis) and a bulging disc and my spinal cord is trapped in between that lot (spinal stenosis)so have a numb left leg which makes walking and balance a real issue ....still I would not change the op for anything and do not regret it one little bit coz can you imagine if that lot happened while I was still 22 1/2 stone :) ive gone from size 26/28 to 10/12 now :) my family are very proud of me and I am proud of myself too :) take care good luck xx

It was not very long to be honest once I was approved maybe 6 months then pre op diet which I had to do for 6 weeks because the DS is such a strict regime to follow ( hence why I lost the weight so quickly) but it is very high in protein to follow so unless you like lots of meat fish etc don't consider it I have to have 100grams at least per day of protein so once I have worked out what I am having there's really not much room for salad etc . I had to take a copy of every single thing I'd eaten and drunk to show the dietician I could cope before they would actually agree to the op . I rely on slimfast ovaltine and protein bars for top up only when I've not had enough protein in the day

Back