• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Funding - Has anyone encountered this Rule?

Lesley110

I found this on the Weight Loss Surgery Info Advice Website about the NICE Rules - "They have a BMI of over 50. In this case weight loss surgery can be considered without the patient having necessarily tried different approaches to lose their excess weight." - I must have missed this one when I was looking in the rules.

Yup, NICE say that with a BMI over 50 surgery should be a 'first line' option.

Even the tv programme that was on Sky 3 tonight only mentioned the 35 with conditions and 40 nothing about 50, if I had known that I would have chased the GP harder last year. My GP has not referred anyone for this type of treatment, she asked me if I wanted to have free Weightwatcher sessions on the NHS today! I had to explain that I had tried all that with great success until I stopped the diet then yahooo all the weight and more goes back on!

i come under bolton PCT and the over 50 rule applied to me but saying that i didnt go looking for surgery i got told it was my only option.

I have been granted funding on the over 50 rule. I have no co-morbidities and am in good health, my application was sent on 23rd Dec and received funding letter on 8th Jan - that is Central Lancs PCT. Sadly, it is discretionary whether NICE guidelines are adhered to fully BUT the guidelines do give a platform for appeal.
Lots of luck to you!
Lx

I have been granted funding on the over 50 rule. I have no co-morbidities and am in good health, my application was sent on 23rd Dec and received funding letter on 8th Jan - that is Central Lancs PCT. Sadly, it is discretionary whether NICE guidelines are adhered to fully BUT the guidelines do give a platform for appeal.
Lots of luck to you!
Lx

Blimy that was quick funding 23 Dec to 8 Jan - was that more than a year though or actually 2 weeks!!!! My BMI is 54 so my funding was approved quite quickly. Just waiting for the consultation letter now!

My bmi was 56 at referral and funding seems to have come through pretty quickly after seeing the consultant. My PCT follows NICE guidelines strictly and so at over 50 they asked no further questions.
xxx

Blimy that was quick funding 23 Dec to 8 Jan - was that more than a year though or actually 2 weeks!!!! My BMI is 54 so my funding was approved quite quickly. Just waiting for the consultation letter now![/quote]

That was two weeks - I was amazed, now the hospital are sitting on it, apparently I will hear something early March - ridiculous!

Lx

Back