• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery abroad?

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Hello, I dont think im going to be able to get enough money together for a bypass in this country :(
Has anyone had a bypass abroad? where is the best place to go and how much is it?
blimey this WLS lark aint easy is it? lol

btw i dont fit the criteria for my local pct for nhs although im still trying x

Thank you so much, im googling as we speak lol

no worries, i had a quick look myself but didnt really understand the in's and out's of it all, and plus i dont have a passport so thats out the window haha, good luck

I had mine done by Mr. De Clercq at the Erasmus in Antwerp, Belgium on 24-07-2009
I had a Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. I absolutely cannot fault the pre-op tests and care, the operation and the initial post-op care whilst in Belgium.
Since back in the U.K. I've had to fight for any after care, I do appreciate that I 'went private' I have had consultants be extremely rude to me, not because I went private as the operation was not offered by my P.C.T. but because I went abroad.
They kept asking me why I couldn't go back to Belgium for my check-ups (couldn't afford it)! and why had I not had the operation done in the U.K?
I had thrown up almost every day since my operation, and had horrific heartburn and reflux, I felt faint and dizzy all the time and my memory was horrendous. All of these things were sorted once I was on the correct medication!
My G.P. has been amazing and after 18 months of no help from my local hospitals I was referred to Mr. Jain at the Luton and Dunstable who finally got me on all the medication I needed and explained where I had been going wrong.

I don't mean to put you off it is the best money I've ever spent (Husband's vasectomy is a close second though)! and I have the life now I'd only ever dreamed of before.
If you possibly can see if you can get the after care sorted first.
Good luck and go for it!

Hey Caren
I considered going abroad and looked at cosmetic bliss and also Weight Loss Surgery Group (I had my bypass here via WLS group) as significantly cheaper.
In the end I decided to stay here as I took annual leave from work (didn't want them to know) and also wanted to be near home as you always seem to want your own bed when you aren't feeling too good!!
You need to shop around though as like I said prices do vary even in this Country. I paid £2000 less than if I'd booked directly with the hospital where I had the surgery!!
Good luck

Jxx

Thank you kate and Julie, very helpful :)

I'm going to Dr Dillimans in Brugge for a gastric bypass, all arranged directly through his pa as it was cheaper this way, there are some very good reports from previous patients on other forums. My op is scheduled for 23rd Sep I'll let you know how things go

Thanks hmd, would u mind telling me the cost and what it includes?

The cost of the bypass is £6200 but there are travel costs (I am going euro star, special price of £59 return) and the hotel stay not sure of this as my sister and I are going together and as she works in travel she has arranged it,can find out though and let you know later this afternoon although a quick search on google may help

Thank you so much! I'm going to look into this xxx :)

I had mine done by Mr. De Clercq at the Erasmus in Antwerp, Belgium on 24-07-2009
I had a Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. I absolutely cannot fault the pre-op tests and care, the operation and the initial post-op care whilst in Belgium.
Since back in the U.K. I've had to fight for any after care, I do appreciate that I 'went private' I have had consultants be extremely rude to me, not because I went private as the operation was not offered by my P.C.T. but because I went abroad.
They kept asking me why I couldn't go back to Belgium for my check-ups (couldn't afford it)! and why had I not had the operation done in the U.K?
I had thrown up almost every day since my operation, and had horrific heartburn and reflux, I felt faint and dizzy all the time and my memory was horrendous. All of these things were sorted once I was on the correct medication!
My G.P. has been amazing and after 18 months of no help from my local hospitals I was referred to Mr. Jain at the Luton and Dunstable who finally got me on all the medication I needed and explained where I had been going wrong.

I don't mean to put you off it is the best money I've ever spent (Husband's vasectomy is a close second though)! and I have the life now I'd only ever dreamed of before.
If you possibly can see if you can get the after care sorted first.
Good luck and go for it!

This sounds really scary Katemal! You have highlighted my main worry with going abroad; what happens if things go wrong. I too want a sleeve, can i ask what meds you needed? Thanks :)

The cost of the bypass is £6200 but there are travel costs (I am going euro star, special price of £59 return) and the hotel stay not sure of this as my sister and I are going together and as she works in travel she has arranged it,can find out though and let you know later this afternoon although a quick search on google may help

Wow thats a great price! The website that i found that uses Dr Dillemans (unless theres another ?)says £7500! Did you book ages ago or something? Thanks!

Prices | International Health Care Ltd.

wannabeminime said:
Wow thats a great price! The website that i found that uses Dr Dillemans (unless theres another ?)says £7500! Did you book ages ago or something? Thanks!

Prices | International Health Care Ltd.

No booked in June did get a bit off though as booked it with my sister whose having revision surgery. I think there is a group that you can book your surgery through that includes travel, taxis and hotels etc hence they quote a higher price, however these expenses need to be added to the price of my surgery so about £7000 in all ( depending on your length of stay in the hotel and the room rate)

hmd12 said:
No booked in June did get a bit off though as booked it with my sister whose having revision surgery. I think there is a group that you can book your surgery through that includes travel, taxis and hotels etc hence they quote a higher price, however these expenses need to be added to the price of my surgery so about £7000 in all ( depending on your length of stay in the hotel and the room rate)

Whoops just checked my own writing should have quoted £6700 for op plus travel expenses, Stijl feel I've got a good price though, really must out my reading glasses on more often sorry

Whoops just checked my own writing should have quoted £6700 for op plus travel expenses, Stijl feel I've got a good price though, really must out my reading glasses on more often sorry

Lol, even so, your price is brill as the £7500 is the basic package too, no hotels, travel etc. Its £7900 with the extras.

Lol, even so, your price is brill as the £7500 is the basic package too, no hotels, travel etc. Its £7900 with the extras.

wow thats so cheap!!!! save save save lol

wow thats so cheap!!!! save save save lol

Yea, its bearable, isnt it!! Shame i have so many other things to spend my money on at the mo. I'm hoping i may be able to do it next year. Perhaps we should do a block booking! I like the idea of Belgium, i could get the train all the way from here (Devon), which makes it considerably easier.

Back