• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS funding

not yet, but i dont think i'll get it :(
my pct's criteria is bmi of over 40, with severe sleep apnoea and/or type 2 diabetes, plus 6 months proven intense weight management xxx

Not yet slowy does it. Am hoping to find another young person who is post op that we can meet. My daughter was bullied at school and this led to comfort eating and she has gained alot of weight as a result. she is stuck in a very viscious circle as many people are.

she will get nothing but help, friendship and support here, good luck :) xxx

Thanks i can see that its great. Having these issues is very isolating and its hard walking outside the house without feeling the world is judging you. lovely to be on here as people are so understanding.

hi there, we can offer support, fun ;) confidence building, were all in the same boat here, some have had the ops, others are waiting and all at different points in the system,

if she is the sort that would like an online friend or two, were definately the place for her.

i hope she gets the help she needs xx

Good luck to you both :) we don't judge as we have all been there ... hope your daughter goes on to get surgery & has a happy, long, healthy life xxx :):)

My PCT follows the NICE Guidlines

BMI over 40 or over 35 if you have other thing wrong with you.

I got funding with my BMI at about 39 but I also have Severe sleep Apnoea ,Type 2 Diabetes, COPD, Arthritis plus 6 months proven intense weight management.

My funding was turned down at first but my GP appealed and got the decission reversed.

Hopefully St Richards have sorted themselves out and I am still on for my op in 4 weeks time.

Paul

Really hope your op goes ahead speedliy really bad timing for you. What is th estory with St Richards?
Your PCT sounds great such a post code lottery. Who is your surgeon? I had a surgeon look at the criteria set by my PCT and he commented that it was rubbish and a corruption of NICE guidelines.

Hi,

There is a site called BOSPA

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

They have a list with most PCT's criteria on it, although some of it is a little out of date.

Which PCT area are you in and maybe someone from that area can offer some more specific advise.

Tell your daughter, there are people of all ages and circumstances on here, but we all have one thing in common and that is Our battle with food and weight. I've found that has put people on this forum in the unique position of really understanding my thoughts and fears and hopefully your daughters too.

We are all here when she is ready.

Julie xx

Wonderful i will tell her. She is young and her confidence and self esteem are very low. she has had a lot of knock backs with friends in the past so has become isolated. Trusting people is a big deal for her, also facing her situation in order to make changes is difficult.

Our PCT is Lincolnshire. Last year i did a freedom of information request to all PCT's to find out how many referals have been done under the NHS for under 18's and although the number was low. Most adopt the rule of being over 18 there were quite a few referals meaning it is a real post code lottery.

Really hope your op goes ahead speedliy really bad timing for you. What is th estory with St Richards?
Your PCT sounds great such a post code lottery. Who is your surgeon? I had a surgeon look at the criteria set by my PCT and he commented that it was rubbish and a corruption of NICE guidelines.

I am in north Kent, don't know the name of my PCT as my GP did all the referral work. I will be under MR Guy Slater, don't know yet which one of his team will do my op though but doubt it will be MR Slater.

Paul

My NHS trust will not accept you into the weight management program unless you BMI is over 60 or you have type 2 diabetes. My BMI is around 50 and they will not accept appeals, currently my MP is in contact with the NHS trust on my behalf asking for help and advice, failing that my only other choice is to break up my family and move 550 miles away to where my mum lives in England where I do meet their local guidelines (BMI 50+).

TBH the 18+ rule for your area I can completely understand. Weightloss surgery is such a HUGE deal so waiting a few months and really understanding everything 100% will be very helpful for your daughter. If she has an idea of what sort of surgery she wants then you should do a You-Tube search, a lot of the operations are shown in clips, its a bit icky to watch it but it really does help you to get an idea of what they will actually do to your body. The more you daughter understands the more successful the weightloss will be :)

Back