• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Referal Scotland Gastric Band

lex

Hi to everyone,Iam new on here so i dont know exactly what iam doing.Iam hoping someone can help.My doctor is refering me for gastric band can anyone tell me what happens first when you get refered.Iam in Ayrshire Scotland has anyone ever had it done from my area or abouts what are the waiting times like.What sort of questions are asked etc.Iam so sorry about all the questions iam just so curious i want to know everything..Thanking anyone who can help..
Lex
xx

Hi Lex
Welcome to minis it's a great place to come for support and advice. I'm in East Kilbride not a million miles away from you.I've just had private bypass but travelled to Manchester as there are not many surgeons in Glasgow who do the bypass. I'm not going to be much help to you as it was years ago i tried the NHS route and things may have changed. But i had to go the Royal in Glasgow and attend Professor Lean's Clinic ( honest that's his name) for weight management and had to lose so much weight before hand to show my committment. I will be honest and say i gave up as i'm not the most patient of people and looking back i don't think i was mentally ready. The questions will be around your medical history and your eating habits nothing difficult so don't worry. I know that's probably not much help but as far as i know the Royal is still the main weight loss surgery NHS hospital. Good luck with your journey and keep on posting so we know how you are getting on and please just shout if you need to ask anything x

Thanx Allie,
Any help is much appreciated.What do you think about your bypass was it worth it?It is so hard losing weight i have tried everything..

Lex

Hi Lex
I was originally going for a band but it was only after i met the surgeon and realised i personally would probably fail with a band due to my very sweet tooth i looked at bypass. I was terrified at the thought of something so permanant and major ( i'm a big coward) but everyone on here plus my surgeon put my mind at ease and 4 weeks post op i have no regrets i have lost 2 stone in the 4 weeks and apart from a few emotional days( very normal) i am doing very well and have had no pain whatsoever. Like you you name it i've tried it so hence the bypass. My advice is to keep calling whoever it takes to make sure you are kept imformed. Just shout anytime you need any help x

Hi Lex
Welcome to minis it's a great place to come for support and advice. I'm in East Kilbride not a million miles away from you.I've just had private bypass but travelled to Manchester as there are not many surgeons in Glasgow who do the bypass. I'm not going to be much help to you as it was years ago i tried the NHS route and things may have changed. But i had to go the Royal in Glasgow and attend Professor Lean's Clinic ( honest that's his name) for weight management and had to lose so much weight before hand to show my committment. I will be honest and say i gave up as i'm not the most patient of people and looking back i don't think i was mentally ready. The questions will be around your medical history and your eating habits nothing difficult so don't worry. I know that's probably not much help but as far as i know the Royal is still the main weight loss surgery NHS hospital. Good luck with your journey and keep on posting so we know how you are getting on and please just shout if you need to ask anything x

Allie,That is a fantastic amount of weight you have lost in so little time.How do you feel about it you are on your road to getting your life back.It is mind boggling to think how much weight you will have lost in a few months time.Well done.
Lex
x

Morning Lex
It's an amazing feeling to see the scales go the right way for the first time in so so long. You are so right it is mind blowing not to mention totally alien to think i could be within a "normal" weight and bmi range at some point but i can't wait. Hopefully you will be on this journey with all of us soon. I'd have been lost without the lovely people on here who have helped( and still are helping) and supported me through the good and the difficult time. So stay around and let us share your journey and don't be frightened to ask anything no matter how "silly" it may seem x

Hello all!
I attended my GP yesterday to ask about gastric band.
I have been referred to Weightloss managment as this is the road in to get funding ( i think! )

Im in the Glasgow area in Scotland. Does anyone have any info i could look at or any personal experience? I have no idea if the referral means i will get the op. GP thinks i would be a very good candidate as i have bmi of 45, im injection controlled diabetes and im only 21!

all advice would be appreciated!!

Jem xx

Just a quickie as I am off out in a mo to pick up my youngest. I am now 2weeks + post op and was banded by Mr Galloway at Gartnavel - he is fab.

Weight management means you will attend fortnightly meetings for 16 weeks then monthly meetings for a few - if you don't do well in the 16 weeks they then offer weight loss meds then next step is asking for a wls referral. There is physio and psychological support that's fab. I had already had both meds twice previously so kinda skipped a bit ( naught moi?). I got referred last sept, seen october and op was meant to be Feb but was delayed a month by the surgeon ( he's a busy guy).
Hope this helps - pm me with any questions :)

Just a quickie as I am off out in a mo to pick up my youngest. I am now 2weeks + post op and was banded by Mr Galloway at Gartnavel - he is fab.

Weight management means you will attend fortnightly meetings for 16 weeks then monthly meetings for a few - if you don't do well in the 16 weeks they then offer weight loss meds then next step is asking for a wls referral. There is physio and psychological support that's fab. I had already had both meds twice previously so kinda skipped a bit ( naught moi?). I got referred last sept, seen october and op was meant to be Feb but was delayed a month by the surgeon ( he's a busy guy).
Hope this helps - pm me with any questions :)

Hiya, im not sure i can PM you because im a new member.
Ive already been on xenical before and been referred to local gym etc and had a good few visits to the dr about weight. Do you think they will still try to put me on xenical again?
Whats the best way to be at the meetings? Did you have to go? what are they like?

xo

Hi, Had a few pc issues. They probably won't put you back on xenical. Its best to give the weight management group an honest go. Some groups are great some not so much. You do have to go and be as positive as you can. If you miss a few they will discharge you so you gotta attend as many as you can - and keep them informed if you are on holiday etc. The meetings are informative and helpful.

:wave_cry:
Hi to everyone,Iam new on here so i dont know exactly what iam doing.Iam hoping someone can help.My doctor is refering me for gastric band can anyone tell me what happens first when you get refered.Iam in Ayrshire Scotland has anyone ever had it done from my area or abouts what are the waiting times like.What sort of questions are asked etc.Iam so sorry about all the questions iam just so curious i want to know everything..Thanking anyone who can help..
Lex
xx

Hi Guys
I'm not much help as although living in East Kilbride i went privately to Manchester for my bypass. That said my hubby has asked for referral for weight loss and as Lost says he has just started attending the weightloss management group as part of the process. Just wanted to say good luck and if anyone has any other questions please just ask xx

at the group meetings - should you be open and honest that you think weightloss surgery is your last shot or what? do you have to ask them to refer you after you have tried their methods etc... this is what im confused about...

You have to show your willing to work at it and are open to choices - they will decide if you are suitable for surgery and when to refer you. No harm in mentioning it - I didn't but i didn't totally make up my mind till after I had started going.

Back