• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nhs weight management

dawn08

Hi all ,

I've seen a few threads where people have initially had to go on NHS weight management before being considered for surgery and some have done really well . I would like to know how the weight loss groups differ in their advise and support etc compared to say anything else they may have tried x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi. Here in Gloucestershire, the weight management group meets first once a week, then once fortnightly, and then once a month... During that time, your willingness to change is tested. They want you to make small choices to lose weight so they can see that you are prepared to work with the tool they will give you, i.e. the surgery. People like me with comorbidities like type two diabetes, have to lose 5% of their body weight before they are considered for surgery, people who have no comorbidities, 10%. Hope that helps.

What I meant is , doe you find the groups helpful? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i was referred to weight loss over a year before surgery was even considered i did a 6 week group thing where we learnt about calories etc etc then i went individual to dietician to get me from eating 1 meal a day to 2200 calories a day and am now down to 1800 calories a day and i have been losing weight on this so when i saw surgeon it wasnt even an issue about me doing weight management or having to lose a percentage

For me the biggest difference was knowing that I only needed to do it to get my op. I wasn't trying to lose all 20 stone I was overweight by, but just the 5% I needed to get my op. And then the weightloss becomes addictive.

I think it varies greatly, depending on where you are. The team I saw, over a period of nearly two years were absolutely useless. Never once did they explain to me what was expected, I found the whole process demoralising and frustrating, and the psychologist (skinny as a rake!) was extremely patronising.

I hope you get a better service than I did, and that you get your funding - best of luck.

I thought mine was rubbish too. Three half hour session with a clinical psychologist , monthly weight and chat with a nurse x6 . One session with a personal trainer , one cooking session . I didn't find it helpful but went with an open mind I grapes any think that might help on this journey . Sounds that others had a better service than Hampshire .

Mine were rubbish too.
3 x 1 hour long sessions with a therapist. Numerous 1 hour long sessions with a nurse. And 1 hour a week for 12 weeks with the personal trainer.
I spent 18 months on the course, went to every appointment, did exactly what they said. Changed my diet completely. Everything about my diet!!! Lost and gained no more than 2lb in that whole time. Came down to decision time about my op and despite everything I was refused.

I didnt have any other health problems other than my weight so on those grounds I didnt meet the critera. I was 22 years old with PCOS and a BMI of 52.

My GP had to appeal for me to have surgery and im now 3+ weeks post op today. Fight, fight, fight1 :)

I'm in sheffield, I spent 3 months on weigh ahead. I saw someone once a month for weigh ins and a cbt dietician every week or so for 2 month... That's all I did. I lowered my portion sizes and tried to learn myself to think about food differently. I had already started the smaller portions and healthy food in February when I started with my gp referral at the gym. From feb to August with both gp referral and weigh ahead I lost just over a stone. Then was referred at the end of August for wls. :)

Kirsty

Back