• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nibbling nails nervously!

tararabumdeeay

Hi there. I just wanted to introduce myself! I went to see the consultant yesterday and am booked in for a band on the 4th Dec. I came away feeling very pleased with myself, and sure that I could make it work for me. However, after reading loads of storys here, I am really worried about lots of things now! I'll list them in order!

1) liver shrinking diet from Thursday
2) dying on the operating table
3) being in loads of pain post op
4) coming home the same day
5) going back to work the week later
6) trapped wind
7) slippage
8) missing food I like
9) wondering if I can give up alcohol!
10) everything else!

Is it normal?

Hi and welcome.

The short answer for me is 'Yes'. No. 2 is the top of my list!

But I am pre-op so I think for a more comprehensive and useful answer, I'll step aside and let the post-op 'losers' respond.

Wishing you the best of luck for your big day and beyond. Do keep us posted! :)

Hi and welcome to minis. it is perfectly normal to feel a mixture of nerves and excitement. i have to say my whole journey has been really positive and my decision for surgery was the right one for me.

your date will be here in no time at all. x

Hi there. I just wanted to introduce myself! I went to see the consultant yesterday and am booked in for a band on the 4th Dec. I came away feeling very pleased with myself, and sure that I could make it work for me. However, after reading loads of storys here, I am really worried about lots of things now! I'll list them in order!

6) trapped wind
7) slippage
8) missing food I like
10) everything else!

Is it normal?

hi tara, what u r feeling now is perfectly normal, its a rollercoaster ride of emotions.
the liver diet is hard but worth it as when the fatty liver is shrunk it makes the op easier for the surgeon as that has to be moved 1st b4 a band can be put in.
with all surgery there is a risk of dying but its very slim chance of that happening i know lots of banders and i dont know of any yet thats died during the op.
all ops come with pain, but they will give you good pain relief in hospital and for returning home.
as for coming home the same day i cant comment on that as i was nhs banded, i think thats pretty harsh as i thinks obs need to done and fluid in take should be monitored longer than 24 hrs.
ask them for a 2 week sick note, they should be offering that any way on discharge, it all depends on the type of job you have to when you can return back to work.
peppermint tea, gripe water, or windeze, is very good for the trapped wind, also walking about helps it disperse more quickly.
slipage can happen but is rare if you follow there food rules it should be ok.
we all miss food we like but thats part and parcel of weight loss surgery i miss bread and would kill for a bacon bun with lashings of brown sauce but i know i cant have it or ill be sick lol:(
you dont have to give up alcohol with a band it will go down as its liquid, just be care full of fizzy mixers as they are not supposed to be drunk with a band, i went on white wine for the 1st year when i fancied a drink, also you must be carefull of the hidden calories alcohol brings.

i hope all goes well on decmber 4th, i get a fill then which im looking very much forward to.

liz x

Hiya Tara and welcome to minis :wavey:
It is OK to be nervouse- it is a very normal thing to be feeling right now! ;)
Good luck on the 4th December - not long to go now!!
Xxx Lizzie xxX

hey hun just wanted to wish you good luck with everything

havent got any answers as i am still waiting to hear about banding, i too worry about all you said on your list but the end result will be worth the worrying. Best wishes for the 4th looking forward to hearing your progress. Bridie x

I am wondering which one you have been placed on. It goes quicker than you think and all you have to try and remain focused on, you are doing this for you, to make sure the surgery is safe for you...which will prevent the point below.
This is exceptionally rare but all surgeries carry a risk, even on slim healthy people, so please try not to dwell on this as once you are on the losing side there is so much to look forward too. This is a positive thing you are doing for yourself...
There is some pain but it's bearable if you keep up the pain meds. After a while that goes to discomfort. I think what I found hard is not being able to use the abs like before, I felt a little weak round the middle. But you will soon be back to normality and those days/weeks will fade away.
I couldn't wait to get back to my own things. I went in at 8am, op done at 12.35pm, in recovery at 3pm, out by 3.30pm, was up and getting dressed by 4.30pm....I felt ok, they give you good pain relief and you feel suprisingly well. All my obs were good so it seemed odd staying when I didn't really need the bed.
I definitely think that is an optimistic return date they give. I know I would not have felt comfortable. But it does depend fully on what you do. I would say only you can judge if you are ready to return. You can get a sign off if you need one. Just remember you are healing and any exertion will slow this down.
6) trapped wind
Can be a problem, I found a warm drink helped that and walking about. I went for 15 minutes walk in the mornings from the day after surgery, twice a day. It was a slow and steady pace but it shifted most of the wind in a few days.
7) slippage
Once again, rare but can happen. If you follow your surgeons advice to the letter all will be ok. Don't push yourself when returning to normal foods, take small bites and chew, chew, chew. If you get any nausea, go to the docs and see if you can get anti-sickness pills, as throwing up in the early stages can lead to problems.
8) missing food I like
Yep at the beginning that can be tough but just remember how good you will look when you get to goal. Also after a few weeks you can have those foods again, in moderation. I still indulge in chocolate, just a few squares or a couple of bourbon biccies dunked in tea. In the past that would have meant the whole pack tho...LOL. I have been out to dinner and had venison, scallops and all kinds of healthy nice things. Eating well is still possible, just do not be afraid to try what you enjoy but in smaller, sensible amounts. If you are scared of getting things stuck, you won't get back the range you had before.
I still have the odd glass of red wine, just have it as an aperitif or later in the evening in front of the telly after I have eaten.
10) everything else!
Anxiety and fear are normal responses, you will do just fine.
Is it normal?
It's normal to feel all of these things but you will do just great and you will recover quickly and your life will change, the weight will drop off and you will see a world beyond the walls of what I call "fat prison"

:):):):):)

Back