• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nigh on 5 years out!

oodles83

Hello all

In 2015 I had a RNY bypass. My thread is here if anyone fancies a read!

By mid 2016 I had lost about 15 stone, I had started a new relationship and quit my job to start a new life back home in a different county.

In 2017 I had my surgeries on my skin, and in 2018 I rejoined society, got a new job, moved in with the boy and my team was fiercely competitive and obsessed with their weight so they kept me on track. I even joined a gym and learnt how to ride a bike! (I hate it lol.) I still crash dieted when I was going on holiday and I still would never wear a swimming costume in public or shorts or a sleeveless top due to the scars and stretch marks.

In October 2019 I got a new job an hour's drive away. I used to walk 15m to work every day and now I drive everywhere. I drive and sit. And I eat and I drink. I get home too late to have any energy to do any exercise, and also I hate it. And in the past six months my weight has been creeping up! I was feeling actually really unhappy about it, or I should say I AM feeling unhappy about it. But last week I joined slimming world online and in feeling so much better about being in control again.

I have 2 stone to lose to get back to my lightest ever, but I want to push that further. The boy weighs 10 1/2 stone and it's still my life goal to weigh less than him!! And he is about 2.5 stone away at the moment.

While I was reading up on slimming world I was reading articles on the water weight, the head hunger, the stalls and it made me remember this forum. I thought I'd give an update on the weight story since my surgeries.

1) my hair did not grow back. I have to use hair fibres every time I wash it now as so much scalp is visible
2) I can eat as much as a regular person, easily. I made the decision to try and stretch my pouch so that I can enjoy eating with others and wouldn't feel any different to them. Apart from my parents and my best friend, no one knows I had wls
3) my stomach still doesn't rumble when I'm hungry (yay!)
4) I do feel hungry but not as much at all, and only when I haven't eaten in hours
5) if left to my own devices (e.g. working from home in lockdown) I will eat bad things constantly. And I find as I'm eating one thing I'm already looking forward to eating the next thing so I eat it as quickly as possible. Living with someone else means you can't only have good food in the house so it's there as temptation. I found recently I was secretly eating again, like I used to as a child. And I would feel that familiar shame. I realised a couple of weeks ago I can't take my eye off the ball: I will never have a healthy relationship with food. I guess I became complacent when I couldn't eat a lot but now there is nothing stopping me. Having a food diary is making a huge difference to me already, just making me conscious of what I'm consuming. I miss the days when food was something I didn't think about, or I had a fear of.
6) skin removal surgery is fab, and at some point I will get my back and backside done, but don't think it will make you a model. I still have loose skin on my stomach due to the fact I had to have a Fleur de lys surgery as there was SO MUCH SKIN, my legs are still huge and wobbly (much less wobbly but I wouldn't wear a knee length skirt without control tights), my knees are hideous and my arms have huge scars and the huge stretch marks remain. I cover myself up just as much these days as I did before when I'm on holiday.

I just read this back: I hope I don't sound too negative!! I'm just giving you my update. No doubt wls was the best thing I ever did. It changed my life and gave me a life I never thought I would be able to have! I never really figured out the reasons I got so big. Evidently they are still there as I've spent six months stuffing my face and now I'm on an official diet, but I don't feel like a damaged soul or anything so I'm pretty fine with it. I just need to not do it!

I just thought you might not get these types of updates very often so I thought I'd pop in and drop a line.

Take care everyone!

Last edited:

Lalapo

Welcome back @oodles83. You are inspirational losing so much weight and keeping off for 5 years.

life is up and down and it’s reasonable to expect our weight to be too. Good thing is you can recognise signs of a slip and get back on tracking. Well done and keep up the good work. Don’t let life stresses hold you back. They are always there so not worth wasting our time over x

Bling Babe

Hello all

In 2015 I had a RNY bypass. My thread is here if anyone fancies a read!

By mid 2016 I had lost about 15 stone, I had started a new relationship and quit my job to start a new life back home in a different county.

In 2017 I had my surgeries on my skin, and in 2018 I rejoined society, got a new job, moved in with the boy and my team was fiercely competitive and obsessed with their weight so they kept me on track. I even joined a gym and learnt how to ride a bike! (I hate it lol.) I still crash dieted when I was going on holiday and I still would never wear a swimming costume in public or shorts or a sleeveless top due to the scars and stretch marks.

In October 2019 I got a new job an hour's drive away. I used to walk 15m to work every day and now I drive everywhere. I drive and sit. And I eat and I drink. I get home too late to have any energy to do any exercise, and also I hate it. And in the past six months my weight has been creeping up! I was feeling actually really unhappy about it, or I should say I AM feeling unhappy about it. But last week I joined slimming world online and in feeling so much better about being in control again.

I have 2 stone to lose to get back to my lightest ever, but I want to push that further. The boy weighs 10 1/2 stone and it's still my life goal to weigh less than him!! And he is about 2.5 stone away at the moment.

While I was reading up on slimming world I was reading articles on the water weight, the head hunger, the stalls and it made me remember this forum. I thought I'd give an update on the weight story since my surgeries.

1) my hair did not grow back. I have to use hair fibres every time I wash it now as so much scalp is visible
2) I can eat as much as a regular person, easily. I made the decision to try and stretch my pouch so that I can enjoy eating with others and wouldn't feel any different to them. Apart from my parents and my best friend, no one knows I had wls
3) my stomach still doesn't rumble when I'm hungry (yay!)
4) I do feel hungry but not as much at all, and only when I haven't eaten in hours
5) if left to my own devices (e.g. working from home in lockdown) I will eat bad things constantly. And I find as I'm eating one thing I'm already looking forward to eating the next thing so I eat it as quickly as possible. Living with someone else means you can't only have good food in the house so it's there as temptation. I found recently I was secretly eating again, like I used to as a child. And I would feel that familiar shame. I realised a couple of weeks ago I can't take my eye off the ball: I will never have a healthy relationship with food. I guess I became complacent when I couldn't eat a lot but now there is nothing stopping me. Having a food diary is making a huge difference to me already, just making me conscious of what I'm consuming. I miss the days when food was something I didn't think about, or I had a fear of.
6) skin removal surgery is fab, and at some point I will get my back and backside done, but don't think it will make you a model. I still have loose skin on my stomach due to the fact I had to have a Fleur de lys surgery as there was SO MUCH SKIN, my legs are still huge and wobbly (much less wobbly but I wouldn't wear a knee length skirt without control tights), my knees are hideous and my arms have huge scars and the huge stretch marks remain. I cover myself up just as much these days as I did before when I'm on holiday.

I just read this back: I hope I don't sound too negative!! I'm just giving you my update. No doubt wls was the best thing I ever did. It changed my life and gave me a life I never thought I would be able to have! I never really figured out the reasons I got so big. Evidently they are still there as I've spent six months stuffing my face and now I'm on an official diet, but I don't feel like a damaged soul or anything so I'm pretty fine with it. I just need to not do it!

I just thought you might not get these types of updates very often so I thought I'd pop in and drop a line.

Take care everyone!
Welcome back, I remember reading some of your diary when I first joined, I’m just over 2 years having a bypass too and although this may sound bizarre it’s comforting to know that I’m not the only one battling every single day, I lost 8.5 stone in less than a year and reach my target which was to be half the women I was. Then over Christmas I gained a stone and I’ve since been trying to lose half of that (because I think my lowest weight was too low). Anyone who hasn’t been through this or researched it completely really does believe that wls is a magic cure.....how wrong, it’s far from a magic cure, it’s hard hard work constantly battling with our head because no surgery switches off the food desire. It most definitely is the best and at the same time the hardest thing I have ever done and you’ve made me feel normal😏
well done on taking control and joining SW, it would be great if you could keep us updated on your progress xx

Bling Babe

I’ve binged read your diary over the weekend and thought I’d pop back to say how happy I was to know your still in a relationship with your partner, can I also ask, because you still cover up and wear control tights, would you recommend skin surgery ? X

oodles83

Hello! I would 100% recommended it. Before I had to wear full body spanx all day which took ages to put on and was so warm in the summer. I had to wear loose sleeves because you could still tell the skin was there and loose. I couldn't wear anything form fitting because of the lumps and wobbles. Now I can wear tight clothes, I'm so much more comfortable, I can wear long dresses with no tights in the summer! And I will have more done one day. I guess I just wanted to say that it didn't transform me into a bikini model :)

Lalapo

Hello! I would 100% recommended it. Before I had to wear full body spanx all day which took ages to put on and was so warm in the summer. I had to wear loose sleeves because you could still tell the skin was there and loose. I couldn't wear anything form fitting because of the lumps and wobbles. Now I can wear tight clothes, I'm so much more comfortable, I can wear long dresses with no tights in the summer! And I will have more done one day. I guess I just wanted to say that it didn't transform me into a bikini model :)

bet you look amazing 😉

Sarnie

Welcome back @oodles83. You are inspirational losing so much weight and keeping off for 5 years.

life is up and down and it’s reasonable to expect our weight to be too. Good thing is you can recognise signs of a slip and get back on tracking. Well done and keep up the good work. Don’t let life stresses hold you back. They are always there so not worth wasting our time over x
Thanks so much for coming back and sharing, it's so helpful. I'm just over a year out. It's certainly not easy, you still have to "diet", I hate that word, eat healthy for life I should say, no it doesn't sort our head out, if only....! I can already eat a fair amount, which scares me. I realise regain can happen all so easily and looooong stalls are real, so have to be mindful all the time, cannot take your eye off the ball. But it really does sound like you've got this, you know what you need to do to get you where you want to be. I think your post is inspirational and real. Xx