• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No milk diet required

clar01

My surgeon, Mr Patel, has said that I do not need to do any type of pre op diet. I trust him as he is an expert in his field but wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

X

I've heard of other people not needing one if their bmi is on the low end of the scale. Maybe that is the case for you? If you wanted to prepare your self you could try a low carb diet the week before but like you say your your surgeon is the expert so if he says there is no need then you don't have too :) x

He didn't require me to do one, and my BMI was certainly not on the low end.

Although I was already on a lowish carb diet from my first aborted pre-op diet from elsewhere.

My surgeon, Mr Patel, has said that I do not need to do any type of pre op diet. I trust him as he is an expert in his field but wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

X
hi i had a gastric wrap and my BMI was just 35 and that was the minimum they would wrap me on hence i did not do a pre op diet and i was and have been fine x

Heres a strange thing, I consulted my surgeon privately first of all and he said that I wouldn't need to do a pre op diet, once I swapped to NHS with funding, same surgeon said the NHS requirement was for everyone to do a pre op diet, so it seems he could have operated either way!!!

dont hold me to it but isnt the pre op diet depending on what way you are having the op whether keyhole or open? keyhole they want your liver shrunk open dont think it matters much

Just to add, they have even told me I can go for a 'last supper' the night before as long as I am nil by mouth from midnight!?

I had keyhole but as Bmi was close to 70 pre op I had to do 4 weeks pre op diet hard work but so worth it, although know others who did not have as much notice as me for the op who didn't have as much time to prep and diet

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hiya,mr patel did my surgery,he doesn't make anyone do a preop diet,my bmi was 45,I also had a last supper the night before. Don't worry he knows what he's talking about,he does make u do a longer postop diet then most xx goodluck xx

Seems so strange that all Doctors are different. surely if its to make it easier & safer for them to do surgery you would think they would all insist on it.

It was 3 weeks of liquIds (clear soups,oxo etc) and then 2 weeks of pureed food then onto solids xx

I was 3 weeks on each stage...

X

A few American surgeons adopt this approach but you don't hear of it here often. It might be that your blood tests have shown low levels of the waste proteins that are stored in the Liver that make it bigger, or maybe the surgeon has small tools LOL. After all the main reason for the diet is to shrink the Liver to give them more room

Back