• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

no milk pre-op diet for diabetics?

helenback

hi all. i am one week into the pre-op diet and doing ok, have lost 7lb so far. But i was just wondering, what is the reason that diabetics can't do the milk diet, is it just because it raises your sugar levels too much? i would have loved to be able to do that one! x

I think it depends on the hospital, I'm diabetic and Luton put me on it for 4 weeks, I had to lose 5% of my bodyweight during that period, there is an extension of up to nine weeks in total, this was just to prove that I was serious and prepared to work at it before they would grant surgery. When I go back for my pre-op at the end of Jan I expect to be put back on this before the actual surgery in Feb. At the time of using the milk diet I was told to lower my insulin 100>50 units, during the four week period I found I had to drop it again by 10 units down to 40, (Lantus), but I had no ill effects during this period if anything I felt better for it.

Thanks Chris. my hospital were adamant i had to do the food diet and i have had to drop my meds already too. oh well, one week left! x

My hospital doesn't do the milk diet for anybody so I think it must vary from place to place. Mine just did a very low calorie, low carb, high protein diet.

Hxx

I did the milk diet :) I stopped all meds (insulin & Piaglitazone) the night before I started it & have not had any meds since (12weeks). Cannot see why diabetics cannot do the milk diet, as I certainly had no problems at all. :) xxx

Back