• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No Quick fix

Thanks for posting this Wendy, I see it has sparked the usual ignorant comments x

Interesting as aways, Wendy :) I never saw it as a quick fix ... I always knew it was only a tool & it would be up to me to make it work ... I am really trying my best :D xxx

Gosh there are some harsh comments on this article. People who have never had a food problem do not understand the psychological issues that come with it.

I paid for my op and know it is not a quick fix but a useful tool you have to work with

It was actually in Closer magazine last week (5 - 11 May) and what annoyed me slightly about the way they have laid the article out and photos, is that every before and after photo has been labelled:

"Pre-Band" ....... and ...... "Post-Band"

But it is quite clear when reading the text that several of the ladies actually had the bypass, so you are reading the text saying "XYZ who had her gastric bypass in ....." and the photo next to it or above is captioned "Pre-band" and "Post-band". Gggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

The nasty comments made by people after they'd read the article are nothing short of what I'd expect from the average Sun reader, it made me laugh that one poster even managed to bring immigration into the debate!
I suppose I'm lucky in that no one has ever said anything abusive to me regarding my weight and everyone I've told about my WLS has been supportive....but I know there's a lot of people who do get abusive comments and the unpleasant ones I've just read under the article show that there's always going to be ignorant, uninformed people in this country.
It was sad to see that some of the women had put weight back on, but to call the woman who was 34 stone a failure is wrong because even though she still weighs 20 stone, she's lost loads!
And it really just reiterates the fact that WLS really is a tool to aid weight loss not an miracle cure all!

Thanks for posting this article....I'm only 7 weeks post-op and terrified of being one of these ladies. I tell myself every day how lucky I am to have this tool to help me......just goes to show we must never het complacent about letting our guard down. I never want to be the weight I was a few weeks ago or the weight I am today.

The comments...deep breathes....wow! I'm not sure why women like these agree to be interviewed by those types of papers/magazines. I'm sure there are better ones that can tell your story in a more dignified way. I guess at least it does warn people who want WLS that it isn't a quick fix.

I will admit I don't read the comments.
I bet all those that comment wouldn't have the guts to say it to someone's face.
Most of them can't get their fact right even when it's in front of them
eg. The only one it worked for was the one who paid (No it didn't 2 of them paid private)

I was more interested in the fact that most of them have had a regain and wanted to point out that many people have wrote on here, That they have lost weight and it will never be seen again.
Think on people! unless we are constantly vigilant the weight will return, The idea is to not let it rule our lives again

Scary stuff Wendy- and a very important message for us all. Regain is a real problem and not uncommon so we need to be aware

Very useful article Lorna. Like you I am always surprised that so many people continue to post the 'gone for ever' comment. We all want to believe it but regain is always there lurking ready to pounce.

WLS is a wonderful tool but like a knife it needs sharpening regularly to be of any use. There are also often comments about I don't want to 'diet' ever again its what brought me to this weight. I would argue that you will always need to 'diet' by which I mean to use diet in the true sense of the word - a method of eating. It shouldn't be seen solely as a method for losing weight. WLS works most effectively if you are prepared to adopt a new 'diet' where you eat as directed, hard protein first, low fat, low sugar and control portion sizes. Having just slipped from this regime for a while I am now having to lose a stone that crept back on so must adopt my diet further. Once my knees recover from the op I am planning to also try exercise which will scare me to death but which I know is also an essential part of the WLS process. Its a life long process but one well worth working at. I for one don't want to regain, it was a living hell at 32st++ and I am not going there again

M

Anyone who goes for WLS knows its not a quick fix. We still diet, we still exercise, we still have to change our lifestyles or it wont work for us. It angers me that many people thik we are taking the easy route. After 20 years battling with diets, pills, herbal remedies, finally I had to admit that I needed help. So I'm ignoring the comments- I hope it doesnt hinder anyone who needs to realise that they need help too.

Back